Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you believe this saying means?

edited July 2010 in Philosophy
I was scanning the Eckhart Tolle e-newsletter today, when Eckhart mentioned an intriguing old Buddhist saying:

"Do not search for the truth; just cease cherishing opinions."

What does this saying mean to you?

(For some context to the saying, see this page.)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think that tolle is very concerned with the absence of conceptuality. his entire foundation is the elimination of ego' or mental commentary upon the existence of what he calls the now. Tolle is a great teacher, however i don't beleve him to be buddhist because of the four seals. To be buddhist one has to accept the tenets based upon the four seals. Dharma at its core is the transmission of these seals on the most subtle level avail for the practitioner.

As far as truth, i think this statement is like that of a dogen or other zen master. It says that searching for something is an active engagement with an idea and result, it produces karma, but part two , there is probably a japanese subtlety to this statement. Like that of the Lankavatara Sutta when asked what the buddha taught he said that he didn't say a "word". this is a subtle distinction because the sanskrit equivalent of word was described by Suzuki as a error or something of that sort. its pretty scholastic if you'd like the book its called Studies on the Lankavatara : D.T. Suzuki.

As far as tibetians , i dont think this would fly. Tibetians believe firmly in the Two Truths they are all about seeking the truth and , again there is probably a subtlety in tibetian or sanskrit of oppinion that i don't understand, It could have something to do with self-cherishing and the need to relenquish a view of self, but get clairity before quoting me. Just my gatherings don't take them at absolute value. but relative to a practitioner who seeks truth, so its irony is explicit.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    zendo wrote: »

It isn't a sneaky way of getting "truth".... i.e. ...just cease to cherish opinions and voila! truth appears.

Searching for truth takes you around and around.... truth, doubt, truth, doubt, truth, doubt and does not address the problem of suffering. Ceasing cherishing (attachment to) opinions does.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It probably means "let go; cultivate non-attachment to self and things belonging to self". A "cherished opinion" can be considered as "belonging to self"

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean Nibbana is this totally void zombie state where you have no opinions and views. An enlightened person has right view, wisdom and compassion; not dwelling in a totally empty state of mind.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I was scanning the Eckhart Tolle e-newsletter today, when Eckhart mentioned an intriguing old Buddhist saying:

It means what it says. I would prefer this " Do not cling to the truth and cease cherishing opinions". It means not taking a stance even if it is "true".

A similar reference is found in here.

"Whatever is seen or heard or sensed
    and fastened onto as true by others,
    One who is Such — among the self-fettered —
    wouldn't further claim to be true or even false.

"Having seen well in advance that arrow
    where generations are fastened & hung
    — 'I know, I see, that's just how it is!' —
    there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.024.than.html
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010

To search for truth. :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    To search for truth. :)

:D
  • edited July 2010

Why are you reading Tolle e-newsletters?
  • edited July 2010
    Interesting responses, thanks for sharing everyone.

When I read this saying, it really had an effect on me. I immediately thought: "What would happen if I ceased cherishing my opinions?"

To answer that question, I considered my political opinions. I tend to lean toward one side of the ideological spectrum, and I've noticed that when someone on the other side aggressively promotes their views, I often find myself bristling, becoming agitated and even angry.

When that happens, I become aware that I'm not in line with the kind of truth the buddhas speak of. To be a buddha means (among other things) not becoming agitated by views that don't happen to match your own.

Thus, "cease cherishing your opinions" is a very pragmatic and powerful way of liberating ourselves from the mind-error of attachment to ideas. To cultivate this practice is to free ourselves from all kinds of error, and find much greater peace of mind.

The technique I am going to try for cultivating this practice is as follows:

1) become aware (using mindfulness) of the feelings that arise in me whenever my "cherished opinions" are challenged;

2) at that moment of awareness: do not put up my usual resistance (to the opposing view). Instead, allow the two views to coexist, without needing to be right, to assert my opinion, or to gainsay the opposing view.

If anyone has any other suggestions/ideas for cultivating this noble practice, please feel free to share them here, that we may all benefit!
  • edited July 2010
    Why do you ask questions if you already are convinced of your answer, Ironic
    cease cherishing your opinions
  • edited July 2010

What makes you think I'm "convinced" of my answer?

Is it because I (like you, and several others here) offered my own take on the subject? Is that why you believe I'm convinced of my answer?

Or perhaps it's because I didn't directly respond to the individual comments people made, and you're interpreting that as meaning I didn't care about those comments?

Or could it be because I didn't directly address the comments you made, and you're feeling personally slighted or annoyed at that? (Perhaps you feel you spent a lot of time and care in your response, and I didn't even acknowledge it, and that irks you?)

Whether your question stems from one of those three motives, or something else, it is a good learning opportunity for you: why is it important to you to ask this question? What's really motivating it? Is your motivation objective or subjective? Based on logic or emotion?

To answer your question: the reason I ask for people's opinions (even if I already have an opinion of my own) is because I want to hear other views as well, to balance my own views, and to check my views against those of others whom I respect.

The thing to do is not become upset when someone else doesn't measure up to our expectations, and to let go of our need for validation from others. You and your opinion are valid whether I validate them or not: you are as worthy and special as anyone else, by virtue of the fact that you are a human being.

If I don't respond to you directly, and that creates some kind of agitation in your mind, use it as an opportunity to look inside yourself, and find out why. Find out what's really going on inside your mind.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010

Your words are ironic on many levels... :lol:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    If anyone has any other suggestions/ideas for cultivating this noble practice, please feel free to share them here, that we may all benefit!

One thing that has helped me, is when I notice I am holding an opinion tightly, is to ask "What might the other person (people) be seeing? How might they be relating to all of this?" When we cultivate curiosity, we also cultivate a relinquishment of our personal clinging. The reason I find deep looking to be helpful is that it doesn't solidify the sense of self, like you might if you reflect upon self by saying "I (ego) am clinging to this view, where can I (ego) stop cherishing?" You sort of naturally stop clinging and cherishing when you open to the interpretations and observations of others.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    One thing that has helped me, is when I notice I am holding an opinion tightly, is to ask "What might the other person (people) be seeing? How might they be relating to all of this?" When we cultivate curiosity, we also cultivate a relinquishment of our personal clinging. The reason I find deep looking to be helpful is that it doesn't solidify the sense of self, like you might if you reflect upon self by saying "I (ego) am clinging to this view, where can I (ego) stop cherishing?" You sort of naturally stop clinging and cherishing when you open to the interpretations and observations of others.

With warmth,

Matt

Thanks for sharing this Matt, I really appreciate what you're saying here. Especially this part:
    When we cultivate curiosity, we also cultivate a relinquishment of our personal clinging.
    Right on! Being able to step outside our own personal box, and becoming curious about other possible views, is taking a step into a larger world.
  • edited July 2010
    Zendo , im sorry for my contribution to your feelings of unhappiness or if because of my outspoken nature i have created an enemy, I will practice being more mindful when i speak in this forum. TY for bringing it to my attention.
  • edited July 2010
    Zendo , im sorry for my contribution to your feelings of injustice or if because of my outspoken nature i have created an enemy, I will practice being more mindful when i speak in this forum. TY for bringing it to my attention.

Well spoken, treederwright! I can imagine that at first, you might have been tempted to say something else; but you found a more enlightened response. Excellent! That's not easy to do, I know--and therefore it shows strength in you.

Far from being my enemy, I count you as a friend, because you're a sincere seeker on the same noble path I am trying to follow. None of us on the path is perfect, but we're all trying the best we can, and we should definitely be friends and allies on this journey!
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu.
  • edited July 2010
    [/QUOTE]The technique I am going to try for cultivating this practice is as follows:

1) become aware (using mindfulness) of the feelings that arise in me whenever my "cherished opinions" are challenged;

2) at that moment of awareness: do not put up my usual resistance (to the opposing view). Instead, allow the two views to coexist, without needing to be right, to assert my opinion, or to gainsay the opposing view.

If anyone has any other suggestions/ideas for cultivating this noble practice, please feel free to share them here, that we may all benefit![/QUOTE]

Perhaps directing attention to the Awareness that is noticing these feelings and opinions helps one relinquish one's attachment to them?
  • edited July 2010
    I feel that from recent activity on this forum i've learned just how attached to "my" opinions i really am. When i read about this quote i wasn't really able to say without a clinging to self that i was free of my opinions ( not that i am now ) but now i know just how much i am. Therefore i feel that truth should be spoken even at the risk at loosing one's reputation, however cherished it may be. Once i seen how i was clinging to self and my opinions i was really shocked at how ( a madhyamaka student even ) " i " was outraged at a seeming slight to this precious "i" lol
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I feel that from recent activity on this forum i've learned just how attached to "my" opinions i really am.

Seeing it is a great step!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I feel that from recent activity on this forum i've learned just how attached to "my" opinions i really am. l
    That is one of the great benefits of online Sangha. Our attachment to views is continually thrown into sharp relief. As is our attachment to appearing wise, or "together", or honestly flawed, or....you name it.:)

Incidentally do you know that your name spellchecks as "streetlight"
  • edited July 2010
    Incidentally do you know that your name spellchecks as "streetlight"

this helps me with the ego im trying to portray