Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

newbuddhist forums upgraded to vbulletin 3.5

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2005 in NewBuddhist.com
newbuddhist forums upgraded to vbulletin 3.5

Today we upgraded the forums to vb3.5, which should bring some improvements. Most notably, your viewed post history is kept in a database now, instead of through cookies. Therefore, there will be no more "timeout" of new posts, and you won't miss anything because you logged in and then walked away for 15 minutes :)

If you have any problems, post them in this thread

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Woohoo!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I am having trouble with replies: I can't access the formatting toolbar, although it shows.
    edited September 2005
    Brian: I am having real difficulties with posting and editing posts under this new version.
  • edited September 2005
    Brian: I am having real difficulties with posting and editing posts under this new version.

Me too!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Me too!

Me three.

I can't "quick reply" and the "quick reply" box has totally disappeared. I keep spilling coffee down the front of my shirt and my leg has fallen asleep since we went to this new version!!!!!!

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Yep, I see that the quick reply box is broken. I'm on my way to fix that.

:)
    edited September 2005
    Brian wrote:
    Yep, I see that the quick reply box is broken. I'm on my way to fix that.

But what about all the coffee stains on my shirt!

What about my leg!?!?!?!?!

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    But what about all the coffee stains on my shirt!

What about my leg!?!?!?!?!

-bf

Stop drinking coffee...it's not good for you anyways. As for your leg, hit it with a hammer. That should bring the feeling back for you.
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Stop drinking coffee...it's not good for you anyways. As for your leg, hit it with a hammer. That should bring the feeling back for you.

Zoinks.

I should quit drinking coffee because it isn't good for me - but a hammer to the leg is an acceptable cure?

Remind me to never get on your bad side, YodaMama! :)

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Hey guys, we are definitely experiencing teething problems with the site.

Essentially, the "skin" (the look) of the site is in the old format (vb3) and the new software made some changes to the way skins are handled (vb3.5)

So we need our good friend -animal- to stop by to take a look at the templates.

For now, please bear with me :)

You can reply by clicking the "new reply" button in the lower LEFT corner instead of the Quick Reply box, for now.

Thanks!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    If you don't do something now, it'll stay awake all night.
    Brian, sorry, I PM'd you a couple of problems, but for the sace of 'sharing and caring, I'll post them here too.....

"I noticed that in some threads you can access people's profiles, by clicking on their names, (patriot act, Enlightened, are you?) but in others ( for example, in Atheism, Religion & our daughter) you can't.... Jus' thought I'd bring it to your attention. and it may just be me, because the problems Simon had, I'm not experiencing......

Also the extra smileys take an inteminable age to download/open now, and whereas before they' shimmered' so I knew I'd placed one in the post, now there's no distinct 'confirmation'....?"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    If you don't do something now, it'll stay awake all night.
    Brian, sorry, I PM'd you a couple of problems, but for the sace of 'sharing and caring', I'll post them here too.....

"I noticed that in some threads you can access people's profiles, by clicking on their names, (patriot act, Enlightened, are you?) but in others ( for example, in Atheism, Religion & our daughter) you can't.... Jus' thought I'd bring it to your attention. and it may just be me, because the problems Simon had, I'm not experiencing......

Also the extra smileys take an inteminable age to download/open now, and whereas before they' shimmered' so I knew I'd placed one in the post, now there's no distinct 'confirmation'....?"
    edited September 2005
    AND I can't delete the dual post - !! *LOL*!!
    edited September 2005
    Replying has been sorted out. Thank you!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Ah, the neverending job of being an administrator. A very personal glimpse at dukkha in it's many forms. :)

Brian,

I appreciate all of the work that you put into this site, seeing as how you also have a full-time job and a family. Thank you for all of your time. It is a very well received gift of dana on your part.

_/|\_ (A respectful wai to you my friend.)

Jason
    edited September 2005
    I couldn't agree more Elohim, and I second your "éloge" of Brian.....

On a separate issue, My screensave (which is supposed to have a line of text continuously running across the screen, doesn't function in this way. It just starts running when the screensaver comes up, and then comes to a halt.... could this have anything to do with the folding program we downloaded yesterday....? The PC has a constant 'burble'......
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Zoinks.

I should quit drinking coffee because it isn't good for me - but a hammer to the leg is an acceptable cure?

Remind me to never get on your bad side, YodaMama! :)

-bf

You ARE on my bad side...that's why I told you to hit yourself with a hammer! On second thought...I have heard that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer really hard, it removes coffee stains and returns the feeling back to your legs.

:lol:
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    I couldn't agree more Elohim, and I second your "éloge" of Brian.....

On a separate issue, My screensave (which is supposed to have a line of text continuously running across the screen, doesn't function in this way. It just starts running when the screensaver comes up, and then comes to a halt.... could this have anything to do with the folding program we downloaded yesterday....? The PC has a constant 'burble'......

It could - if your PC doesn't have enough RAM (memory) to use all these programs at once, it could cause the computer to slow down while it tries to write memory to the hard drive. PM me with your computer specs :)
    edited September 2005
    Brian wrote:
    PM me with your computer specs :)
    Oh Brian, tut tut tut.....:nonono: you should know by now that 'PM me with your computer specs.' to me, is akin to writing:

"DZ ft htki kopm nuxrtpmq mqver. " !!:wtf: :lol:

Nick is of the opinion though that our RAM is more than adequate.... we only bought the PC last year...Windows XP 2000..... is there a simpler way of finding out via the PC because I can't find the paperwork...!!
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    Oh Brian, tut tut tut.....:nonono: you should know by now that 'PM me with your computer specs.' to me, is akin to writing:

Nick is of the opinion though that our RAM is more than adequate.... we only bought the PC last year...Windows XP 2000..... is there a simpler way of finding out via the PC because I can't find the paperwork...!!

Could be the dreaded ID10T error...

-bf
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    You ARE on my bad side...that's why I told you to hit yourself with a hammer! On second thought...I have heard that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer really hard, it removes coffee stains and returns the feeling back to your legs.

Why am I are your bad side?

I thought we had a good thing going here!!?!?!?

I make the bad jokes - and you laugh like they were actually funny...

-bf
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:

Alright :lol: do this:

Click start --> right click on "my computer"... Click "properties"

A window should pop up, and under the section that says "computer" it should say "xxx mhz" and some amount of "RAM". Tell me those numbers :)
    edited September 2005
    2.07Ghz and 512 Mb Ram
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    2.07Ghz and 512 Mb Ram

There's your problem.

It should say 512 "MB" RAM and
    1.21 Gigawatts

I think you got ripped off.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    ....Yes, Thanks, BF, you're a big help..... Just sit in your chair......

I'll plug it in.....:grin:
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    ....Yes, Thanks, BF, you're a big help..... Just sit in your chair......

I'll plug it in.....:grin:

It's tickly - and I'm getting a great tan!

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I make the bad jokes - and you laugh like they were actually funny...

-bf

That's why my husband loves me so much - because I ALWAYS laugh at his jokes! :) And besides, your jokes really are funny!

You aren't really on my bad side - I was just teasing. So stop being such a girl and quit crying about it.
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    It's tickly - and I'm getting a great tan!

-bf

What the heck kind of chair do you sit in?
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:

yes, dear.
    edited September 2005
    Yes, I know that the site looks really messed up. I'm working on it :) :whatever:

On a side note: Fede, your computer is plenty powerful enough to handle folding + everything else. That's quite a machine you have there. :)
    edited October 2005
    Well, this morning (my time!!) my PC's running like a train! I'm wondering if it was just the teething problems on the forum, coupled with sheer weight of traffic.....? There don't appear to be any problems today, although my quick reply box is still missing..... but that's no big deal really, I hardly ever used it..... just mentioning it......
  • edited October 2005
    its looking slightly more normal now, there are still a few bugs which i will fix later...
    edited November 2005
    All,

Just a quick question.

I cannot find the page with all of the smilies on it, so can anyone help me to find it?

Please?

Jason
    edited November 2005
    At the bottom of the select smilies, to the right of the 'Reply' panel, is the word "More". Click on that and a pop-up window appears with more milies.
    edited November 2005
    Simon,

On my reply window there are no smilies to choose from. It used to be there, but it appears to be gone. There was also a page you could view them all on, it was in the FAQ selection, which appears to be gone as well.

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Simon,

On my reply window there are no smilies to choose from. It used to be there, but it appears to be gone. There was also a page you could view them all on, it was in the FAQ selection, which appears to be gone as well.

Jason

That is most strange, Jason. I have smileys on the "Quote" and "Reply" frames but not on "Quick Repy". Could it be your browser settings (only an idea but changing to Mozilla Firefox has cured all sorts of niggling IE problems)?