Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sharing in the 'Form of Dhamma.'

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
I recently picked up a copy of Plato's Republic (OK, two actually), and at first glance, Plato's just and unjust is not unlike the Buddha's ... Continue reading

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Interesting article I must say; for me now it is almost impossible not to do comparisons with the Buddhadharma when reading philosophy.

I think I will disagree with your optimism with Plato. His philosophy is just extremely dualistic! Forms, for example, not only are the svabhava of things, but they need of some kind of supra-mundane epistemic mechanism in us that connects us with divinity,i.e, soul, rationalism, etc., to apprehend this metaphysical relations.
    In the past I was more optimistic when making connections with the ancients, but I've came to the conclusion that in reality there are not so much as a young philosophy student would like; it is truth, the most "socratic" part of Plato's dialogues are more buddhist-like than the more eidetic ones, and it is truth that the Diogenes tradition of cynics resemble a lots some kind of "yogic's way of living", and even extending this up to the Stoics' ethics, but in the end, they are just to eternalist to make a final and concluding link.
    Although, when I was reading the Symposium this part was the one that impressed me the most: 207d-208c (I'm sorry, but I have the Symposium in a Spanish translation, that's why I'm not quoting)

Regarding ethics, I would say that it is not with Plato or Kant that Buddhadharma resembles, but with Hume! :D Kant's ethics are just rationally delirious! Although I love studying Kant, I must agree with Schopenhauer on this: Kant's ethics are an excellent way of making politics, not for judging morality. (I don't remember in which part of the Two fundamental roots of Ethics he said this, I'm sorry :(. I think it was in the first essay though I'm not sure).
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Alfonso wrote: »
    Interesting article I must say; for me now it is almost impossible not to do comparisons with the Buddhadharma when reading philosophy.

Wow, I can't believe somebody actually read this and left a comment. :D
    I think I will disagree with your optimism with Plato. His philosophy is just extremely dualistic! Forms, for example, not only are the svabhava of things, but they need of some kind of supra-mundane epistemic mechanism in us that connects us with divinity,i.e, soul, rationalism, etc., to apprehend this metaphysical relations.
    In the past I was more optimistic when making connections with the ancients, but I've came to the conclusion that in reality there are not so much as a young philosophy student would like; it is truth, the most "socratic" part of Plato's dialogues are more buddhist-like than the more eidetic ones, and it is truth that the Diogenes tradition of cynics resemble a lots some kind of "yogic's way of living", and even extending this up to the Stoics' ethics, but in the end, they are just to eternalist to make a final and concluding link.

Well, it can be argued that there's a fair amount of dualism in Buddhism, as well; although it's far more subtle than Plato's rational dualism. But don't get me wrong, I don't think that their philosophies are identical, or even entirely compatible.

Overall, I can't help thinking Plato makes an unnecessary, and ultimately artificial, distinction between opinion/becoming and intellect/being, which is another result of his reliance on rationalism to the exclusion of empiricism. While I agree that sense perceptions can be misleading, I think it's a mistake to deny them altogether, especially if, like the Buddha, we include mind itself as a sense-base. If what our eyes see is always a shadow, an illusion, how can we be sure that the same isn't true of the mind's intellections? I don't think Plato sufficiently deals with this problem as he seems to hold the mind and its intellection of intelligible things sacrosanct.

For Plato, to truly know a thing, you must know its essence or being, which is something intelligible but not perceptible via the senses. For example, in 596e-597a, he treats the form or idea of 'bed' (being/essence) as something more real and true than an actual bed made by hand (appearance). In other words, the many things we experience and consider to be true are in reality imperfect representations of 'that which is' (forms). And when Plato does attempt to address this issue, his arguments often extend, ironically enough, from more or less empirical observations. Or even worse, from abstract assumptions that are seemingly taken for granted and rarely accounted for, such as the very existence of forms.

But despite all of that, I found so many ideas that were similar to what's found in the Pali Canon that I felt compelled to list the more striking ones as I encountered them. I honestly didn't expect to find any, let alone as many as I did.
    Although, when I was reading the Symposium this part was the one that impressed me the most: 207d-208c (I'm sorry, but I have the Symposium in a Spanish translation, that's why I'm not quoting)

I know what you mean.
    Regarding ethics, I would say that it is not with Plato or Kant that Buddhadharma resembles, but with Hume! :D Kant's ethics are just rationally delirious! Although I love studying Kant, I must agree with Schopenhauer on this: Kant's ethics are an excellent way of making politics, not for judging morality. (I don't remember in which part of the Two fundamental roots of Ethics he said this, I'm sorry :(. I think it was in the first essay though I'm not sure).

To be honest, I simply mentioned Kant and Bentham because I also happened to be reading about them while reading the Republic (I have a bad habit of reading more than one thing at a time). I haven't gotten to Hume yet. :D
  • edited October 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe somebody actually read this and left a comment. :D

Well, it can be argued that there's a fair amount of dualism in Buddhism, as well; although it's far more subtle than Plato's rational dualism. But don't get me wrong, I don't think that their philosophies are identical, or even entirely compatible.

Overall, I can't help thinking Plato makes an unnecessary, and ultimately artificial, distinction between opinion/becoming and intellect/being, which is another result of his reliance on rationalism to the exclusion of empiricism. While I agree that sense perceptions can be misleading, I think it's a mistake to deny them altogether, especially if, like the Buddha, we include mind itself as a sense-base. If what our eyes see is always a shadow, an illusion, how can we be sure that the same isn't true of the mind's intellections? I don't think Plato sufficiently deals with this problem as he seems to hold the mind and its intellection of intelligible things sacrosanct.

For Plato, to truly know a thing, you must know its essence or being, which is something intelligible but not perceptible via the senses. For example, in 596e-597a, he treats the form or idea of 'bed' (being/essence) as something more real and true than an actual bed made by hand (appearance). In other words, the many things we experience and consider to be true are in reality imperfect representations of 'that which is' (forms). And when Plato does attempt to address this issue, his arguments often extend, ironically enough, from more or less empirical observations. Or even worse, from abstract assumptions that are seemingly taken for granted and rarely accounted for, such as the very existence of forms.

But despite all of that, I found so many ideas that were similar to what's found in the Pali Canon that I felt compelled to list the more striking ones as I encountered them. I honestly didn't expect to find any, let alone as many as I did.

I know what you mean.

To be honest, I simply mentioned Kant and Bentham because I also happened to be reading about them while reading the Republic (I have a bad habit of reading more than one thing at a time). I haven't gotten to Hume yet. :D

Hahaha, I never thought either that I'd find someone interested in writing and thinking this kind of connections with Dharma apart from me in this way :D. Its kind of pretty uncommon in my University at least; now I'm like introducing some very reduced number of people to "buddhist studies" in a small lecture group that a teacher wanted to do with me about this topic (she is like a huge fan of Schopenhauer, she made her Ph.D in Leipzig and her thesis was something related to Schopenhauer I think), but apart from that, it is pretty uncommon... maybe there are some wacky heideggerians that like to talk about "Zen" and poetry and delirious-heideggerian-stuff, but that's really rare.

Maybe I can concede the following: the treatment of reality is far from being realistic as it is in Saint Thomas (I hated De Veritate, it is just so contrived), but still deposits its trust in some kind of transcendent reality that donates being to particular objects; maybe I'm being unfair with Plato, also I have to remember that the first dialogues were written by him... but still, I don't know... also there is another kind of lecture of Plato (which I'm starting to like) is that the "world of ideas" is not metaphysically speaking a "world-beyond", but a kind of "aspect" of reality, maybe the nomological aspect. Still, when one reads Timaeus it is like: oh no, this guy is just trying to resurrect some kind of ancient astral religion trough politics, trough philosophy.
    I feel that one can make connections with the sophists, not reading them in the way Plato would like to, of course. For example, I find Gorgias' work on the non existence pretty awesome.

About Hume, I strongly recommend you on reading the following articles if you are interested (at least it is what I've read):

HUME, HUMAN NATURE, AND THE FOUNDATIONS OF MORALITY, David Fate Norton, en The Cambridge Companion to Hume, pp. 148-181.

OF THE STANDARD OF TASTE, David Hume, en Essays. Moral, Political, and Literary, pp. 226-249.

REASON, DESIRE, AND ACTION, en Knowledge, Reason, and Taste. Kant's Response to Hume, Paul Guyer, pp.160-197

And of course Hume's A TREATISE OF HUMAN NATURE, Of Morals, Part 3, Section I: Moral distinctions are not derived from reason.
    Of Passions, Part 3, Section I: Freedom and necessity.

Essay XXIII OF THE STANDARD OF TASTE.

Imho, this is a pretty essential Hume's bibliography regarding ethics, also, imho, one needs to now his theory of knowledge to comprehend more about his ethics.

P.S.: I read the first 2 novels of Dune Saga and I just freaking loved them! I just couldn't find the others in my country and now that I'm in the University I don't have time to continue :( I'd like to buy all the saga in its original language and read again the first books! Dune is just pure awesomeness <3<3<3
    edited October 2010
    Hahaha, I never thought either that I'd find someone interested in writing and thinking this kind of connections with Dharma apart from me in this way :D. Its kind of pretty uncommon in my University at least; now I'm like introducing some people to "buddhist studies" in a small lecture group that a teacher wanted to do with me about this topic (she is like a huge fan of Schopenhauer, she made her Ph.D in Leipzig and her thesis was something related to Schopenhauer I think), but apart from that, it is pretty uncommon... maybe there are some wacky heideggerians that like to talk about "Zen" and poetry and delirious-heideggerian-stuff, but that's really rare.

Maybe I can concede the following: the treatment of reality is far from being realistic as it is in Saint Thomas (I hated De Veritate, it is just so contrived), but still deposits its trust in some kind of transcendent reality that donates being to particular objects; maybe I'm being unfair with Plato, also I have to remember that the first dialogues were written by him... but still, I don't know... also there is another kind of lecture of Plato (which I'm starting to like) is that the "world of ideas" is not metaphysically speaking a "world-beyond", but a kind of "aspect" of reality, maybe the nomological aspect. Still, when one reads Timaeus it is like: oh no, this guy is just trying to resurrect some kind of ancient astral religion trough politics, trough philosophy.
    I feel that one can make connections with the sophists, not reading them in the way Plato would like to, of course. For example, I find Gorgias' work on the non existence pretty awesome.

Well, there are certainly things I disagree with Plato about, and I think your critique of his theory of forms is spot on, so I don't think that you're being unfair at all. However, I do think that, in some regards, Plato and the Buddha are ultimately saying something very similar; although to me, the Buddha seems more confident, like he's pointing you towards the experience instead of trying to stumble upon it through reason alone. Plato, on the other hand, seems like he's coming at it from a more theoretical, less experiential point of view, almost like he's unsure if it's completely possible.

As for Plato's forms, I know exactly what you mean. I started to think the same thing off and on while reading the Republic until Book 10, where he uses the example of the bed and I can't help but think that he holds forms to be something more than that, something with inherent existence.
    About Hume, I strongly recommend you on reading the following articles if you are interested (at least it is what I've read):

HUME, HUMAN NATURE, AND THE FOUNDATIONS OF MORALITY, David Fate Norton, en The Cambridge Companion to Hume, pp. 148-181.

OF THE STANDARD OF TASTE, David Hume, en Essays. Moral, Political, and Literary, pp. 226-249.

REASON, DESIRE, AND ACTION, en Knowledge, Reason, and Taste. Kant's Response to Hume, Paul Guyer, pp.160-197

And of course Hume's A TREATISE OF HUMAN NATURE, Of Morals, Part 3, Section I: Moral distinctions are not derived from reason.
    Of Passions, Part 3, Section I: Freedom and necessity.

Essay XXIII OF THE STANDARD OF TASTE.

Imho, this is a pretty essential Hume's bibliography regarding ethics, also, imho, one needs to now his theory of knowledge to comprehend more about his ethics.

Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure if I'll ever get around to reading them, though.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, there are certainly things I disagree with Plato about, and I think your critique of his theory of forms is spot on, so I don't think that you're being unfair at all. However, I do think that, in some regards, Plato and the Buddha are ultimately saying something very similar; although to me, the Buddha seems more confident, like he's pointing you towards the experience instead of trying to stumble upon it through reason alone. Plato, on the other hand, seems like he's coming at it from a more theoretical, less experiential point of view, almost like he's unsure if it's completely possible.

As for Plato's forms, I know exactly what you mean. I started to think the same thing of and on while reading the Republic until Book 10, where he uses the example of the bed and I can't help but think that he holds forms to be something more than that, something with inherent existence.

Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure if I'll ever get around to reading them, though.

Don't worry about that, if you are studying philosophy in the university, they I think they'll make you read some of that :P

Well, the Forms are inherent existence's epitome! Hahaha, as he said, he is trying to find a thing that with all property we can say it is and that it is not subject to change; that explicitly contradicts the second mark of existence. The similarities maybe are about virtue... but I'm not pretty sure either, I'd say that with the idea of "universals" yes, but forms... I doubt it. Sorry, I'm not a very big fan of Plato; maybe the works of the Stoics are more in touch, or, Aristotle's ethics... and how can I forget about Epicurus! He is just awesome.

We should make essays on this and send them to publications :P hahaha
    edited October 2010
    Don't worry about that, if you are studying philosophy in the university, they I think they'll make you read some of that :P

No university, unfortunately. Just reading for fun.
    Well, the Forms are inherent existence's epitome! Hahaha, as he said, he is trying to find a thing that with all property we can say it is and that it is not subject to change; that explicitly contradicts the second mark of existence. The similarities maybe are about virtue... but I'm not pretty sure either, I'd say that with the idea of "universals" yes, but forms... I doubt it. Sorry, I'm not a very big fan of Plato; maybe the works of the Stoics are more in touch, or, Aristotle's ethics... and how can I forget about Epicurus! He is just awesome.

I find much in common between the Stoicism and Buddhism, as well. For example, Seneca, quoting Epicurus, wrote, "I read to-day, in his works, the following sentence: 'If you would enjoy real freedom, you must be the slave of Philosophy.' The man who submits and surrenders himself to her is not kept waiting; he is emancipated on the spot. For the very service of Philosophy is freedom" (Epistles 1.8). Moreover, I find it interesting that in the same letter, Seneca's warning regarding the "snares" of sensuality closely parallels that of the Buddha in MN 26, and his admonishment regarding food, clothing and shelter closely parallels that of the Buddha in MN 2.
    We should make essays on this and send them to publications :P hahaha

Sounds like a lot of work to me. :p
  • edited October 2010
    No university, unfortunately. Just reading for fun.

I find much in common between the Stoicism and Buddhism, as well. For example, Seneca, quoting Epicurus, wrote, "I read to-day, in his works, the following sentence: 'If you would enjoy real freedom, you must be the slave of Philosophy.' The man who submits and surrenders himself to her is not kept waiting; he is emancipated on the spot. For the very service of Philosophy is freedom" (Epistles 1.8). Moreover, I find it interesting that in the same letter, Seneca's warning regarding the "snares" of sensuality closely parallels that of the Buddha in MN 26, and his admonishment regarding food, clothing and shelter closely parallels that of the Buddha in MN 2.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. :p

Sounds like lot of fun to me. :P
    I thought you were studying philosophy or something like that :O Though, that is not an impediment to read and understand philosophers, imo, the occidental-european-greek tradition is way overrated. And what should be considered with a more highly respect, that is underrated, for example, Diogenes (the dog).
    Thanks for the link to the Epistle, I didn't know that site :D, now I'm reading a book from Marcelo Boeri (he is an Argentinian scholar living in Chile) about the Stoics, it is called "The Ancient Stoics", and I've found really interesting convergence points with mostly the Canon Pali traditions; also, Access to Insight is an amazing site, I always use it. Sometimes, when I've too much free time, I'd just search some random topic there just to read an essay :D
    May I ask if you are a practitioner from the Theravada tradition? :)
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like lot of fun to me. :P
    I thought you were studying philosophy or something like that :O

I am, just not academically. :D
    Though, that is not an impediment to read and understand philosophers, imo, the occidental-european-greek tradition is way overrated. And what should be considered with a more highly respect, that is underrated, for example, Diogenes (the dog).

I always get a kick out of reading anecdotes about Diogenes, especially when he's giving Plato shit.
    Thanks for the link to the Epistle, I didn't know that site :D, now I'm reading a book from Marcelo Boeri (he is an Argentinian scholar living in Chile) about the Stoics, it is called "The Ancient Stoics", and I've found really interesting convergence points with mostly the Canon Pali traditions; also, Access to Insight is an amazing site, I always use it. Sometimes, when I've too much free time, I'd just search some random topic there just to read an essay :D
    May I ask if you are a practitioner from the Theravada tradition? :)

More or less.
    edited October 2010
    P.S.: I read the first 2 novels of Dune Saga and I just freaking loved them! I just couldn't find the others in my country and now that I'm in the University I don't have time to continue :( I'd like to buy all the saga in its original language and read again the first books! Dune is just pure awesomeness <3<3<3

I totally missed this. Yeah, the original Dune saga is amazing (the newer ones written by his son are OK too). Besides the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they were my favourite books growing up. I pretty much failed chemistry in high school because of them. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to read them all.
  • edited October 2010
    I always viewed Plato through the lens of the neoplatonic thinkers like Iamblichus, Proclus and Plotinus. There is certainly much in common between Plotinus and aspects of Vedantic thought, but I would have to read it again to see if the same could be said of Buddhism. The Enneads are a wonderful read, but then I find any philosophy which is infused with mystical insight to be delightful whether or not one agrees with the ultimate doctrinal stance.

As I get older and softer in the head, I find dogma to be less important than experience. I recall Ramakrishna's words when talking about nirvikalpa samadhi: "I want to taste sugar, not become sugar." There is something to be said for a plethora of end goals rather than merely that of liberation. For what its worth, that isn't everyone's proximate goal.