Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ignorance on fabric...

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited August 2010 in General Banter
I was working yesterday, at the little Italian Bistro/Deli Cafe I work at, as Manager.
Outside, clearing tables, greeting passers-by, being friendly, you know, that kind of thing....
This rather large 'corpulent' gentleman, with a healthy and expansive waistline approaches, just passing...
Black t-shirt.
Emblazoned with a colourful slogan:

"I have the body of a God" (Big capital rainbow-coloured letters.)

Underneath, in smaller yellow capitals, and almost hidden by the downward curve of his abdomen, the legend -
"The trouble is, it's Buddha".

I felt like laughing - and slapping him round the head at the same time.....:rolleyes: :D

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I was working yesterday, at the little Italian Bistro/Deli Cafe I work at, as Manager.
    Outside, clearing tables, greeting passers-by, being friendly, you know, that kind of thing....
    This rather large 'corpulent' gentleman, with a healthy and expansive waistline approaches, just passing...
    Black t-shirt.
    Emblazoned with a colourful slogan:

"I have the body of a God" (Big capital rainbow-coloured letters.)

Underneath, in smaller yellow capitals, and almost hidden by the downward curve of his abdomen, the legend -
    "The trouble is, it's Buddha".

I felt like laughing - and slapping him round the head at the same time.....:rolleyes: :D

ROTFLMAO

I love these sort of events, Fede., when, as you say, I burst out laughing and feel some 'offence' at the same time. It happens with all sorts of jokes that I might want to disapprove of: sexist, racist, anti-religious, over-religious.

In my practice of Ignatian meditation, which is an exercise in self-guided imagination, I often stumble across great teachers (Jesus, Gotama, Rumi, Tenzin Gyatso, and a few very funny 'tramps') who tell the most 'outrageous' jokes. Laughing meditation is an interesting experience. There is a serious side as well, these days, because these are opportunities for me to notice and 'unhook' prejudices and preconceptions, which is the method by which I approach the instruction to "deny 'self'".

Thank you for sharing this, Fede.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I've seen that same t-shirt, and had *exactly* the same reaction! :) I guess "Christians" would feel the same way when I point out that Jesus probably wasn't really a good looking white guy with a nice beard like you usually see in Sunday School...

:)

Mtns
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I need to borrow that T as I have a prominent Santa/Buddha belly :p
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have a pretty sweet t-shirt that says:

"I'M IN SHAPE!!!... round is a shape."
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Ever see this one? I saw this Tee shirt a while ago and it's still quite funny imo:lol:
    Religions of the world

Taoism: Shit happens.
    Hinduism :The shit happened before.
    Buddhism: If shit happens, it is really shit?
    Zen Buddhism: What is the sound of shit happening?
    Christianity: Jesus died to save you from your shit.
    Catholicism: If shit happens, you deserve it.
    Judaism: Why does this shit always happen to us!
    Televangelism: Send money or shit will happen to you.
    Rastafarian: Lets smoke this shit.
    Jehovah Witness: Knock, Knock, shit happens.
    Agnosticism: I don't know about this shit.
    Atheism. I don't believe that shit.

LOL
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I have a pretty sweet t-shirt that says:

"I'M IN SHAPE!!!... round is a shape."
    I need this.:D
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I hate that T-shirt Fede, it gives me murderous thoughts. I would go up to that man and smash his head into the table and say,
    Buddha, SMASH, was not, SMASH, fat, SMASH, or a, SMASH, god, SMASH SMASH SMASH.
    OK, I'd imagine that in my head :o

I'd love that world religions shirt! :D Where can you get them?

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »

Nickidoodle Jellybean
    http://www.funnytshirtsinc.com/religions-of-the-world-t-shirts-main.html
    edited August 2010
    LOL...
    I don't think I'll get it, the words are a bit small, but it's cool all the same :)

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I hate that T-shirt Fede, it gives me murderous thoughts. I would go up to that man and smash his head into the table and say,
    Buddha, SMASH, was not, SMASH, fat, SMASH, or a, SMASH, god, SMASH SMASH SMASH.
    OK, I'd imagine that in my head :o

Nickidoodle Jellybean

But, of course, he was - and so were you and will be.
    edited August 2010
    I got owned :p
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    LMAO @ the religions of the world t-shirt. The ones that really killed me were Agnosticism and Rastafarianism. Hahaha thanks for the laugh!