Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

examples of miricle powers

edited July 2010 in Philosophy
Hi
was hopeing you guys could give me some examples of miricle powers from buddhist history and any you may have experienced?
I do understand however that love and compassion and the mastery of this is probably the greatest miricle power along with the wisdom of realiseing emptiness!

daniel
may i do no harm:)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    With all due respect, this really isn't something we should be focusing on. Miraculous powers are not an important issue.

Life on planet earth is a daily miracle.:)

The main point of Buddhist study and practice is to free oneself from dukkha.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Hi
    was hopeing you guys could give me some examples of miricle powers from buddhist history and any you may have experienced?
    I do understand however that love and compassion and the mastery of this is probably the greatest miricle power along with the wisdom of realiseing emptiness!

daniel

No.
    Chiefly because the Buddha told us such thought, examination and consideration was completely useless and a pointless exercise, which would drive anybody trying to figure, nuts.

see number two, on this link. :)

there's no point speculating.
    It can't be proven, disproven, or otherwise.
    Best do as Dazzle suggests, I think. ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Hi

daniel

Someone steals your car or sets fire to your home, and you don't get angry or upset = miracle power. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Psychic powers (or miracle powers) are treated extensively in the Kevatta Sutta. Personally I think it is somewhat arrogant to dismiss psychic phenomena out of hand, especially if one is not familiar with them. The Buddha had good reason to dismiss such powers, because he lived in a deeply superstitious society, where anyone with psychic talents would achieve instant fame and almost certainly get sidetracked. This is quite clearly expressed in the suttas. Although it is still a danger today, as one can easily get fascinated with psychic feats, society has fundamentally changed since then, and thus attitude needs to change accordingly.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    stealing car and burning house and no anger ...would love that one at the moment the dog passes wind and im irritable lol
    may i develop that power asap
    thankyou
  • edited July 2010
    The only "miraculous power" we need to worry about is getting our asses out of samsara.
    The precious opportunity to study and practice authentic dharma is "miraculous" enough for me.
  • edited July 2010
    would not mind that power either for me and every sentient being
    thankyou

may i do no harm

Daniel
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    To develope equanimity in the face of losses you need to have insight into the nature of the world. Impermanence. We are all still working on that insight or else we would not be suffering at all.
  • edited July 2010
    Well Nirvana itself would be the miracle power I think.

I've experienced incredible bliss... with physical phenomena coforming to my mind like poetry - synchronicity? Sometimes it takes days for me to come down. That's when you start getting into Tantra. Better be careful with that Tiggress though... she's a finicky one and could eat you alive at any second.