Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

wobbles and pulses

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited July 2010 in Meditation
Hello sangha.

I was curious to know if anyone has experienced wobbles or pulses whilst in meditation at any level of consciousness??
By wobbles I mean that when you are meditating, for me often when I am in a deeper stage of meditation, do you ever notice your neck and head slightly wobbles or gyrates?

If regards to the pulses this often occurs for me after meditation. After meditation I like to remain in the position I am in and reflect, often remain in that moment and be at peace. A lot of the time though I can feel a pulse in my head, I think it is literally my pulse. It affects mu vision which kind of narrows with each pulse...

Any input would be great, thanks tom :)

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    A "deeper stage"? Sometimes when we settle into a concentrated state the body does stuff. These states are no deeper than just sitting there, just different. This state, that state. To trot out that great tip from Ajahn V. "It's not about having an experience, but knowing whatever experience is present" .....What golden key that is.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    By deeper I meant further into the meditative state, not profoundly deeper. I am aware however that we should not enter meditation with the notion we will get something out of it, but being in that moment. This is what I have been told anyway and it seems to help with me. I was just curious if anyone has experienced this before and if it has anything to do with my health, mainly the pulse in my head. It does feel quite uncanny and I have had problems with my heart in the past.

Thanks though richard, all the best tom :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    You may become alert to these things. Just now I looked for my pulse in my head and I could feel it slightly. It might be a good time to review posture and do a body scan when these feelings come up. Feel your toes. Then slowly scan through the rest of your feet. Feel your shins and your calves up to your knee caps and backs and so forth all the way up to your head and neck. Both a time to review your posture and to be mindful of your experience and wonder about it.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have all kinds of weird bodily sensations, both on the cushion and off, and I HAVE had the pulse in the head thing happen to me. It does feel weird because your eyes are affected as you said, but usually it goes away as soon as I stop paying attention to it and relax. I don't know if it's something we should worry about, but it does happen to others and you're not the only one, for whatever that's worth.
    edited July 2010
    Thank you lol, I guess it is normal then.. I am only 21 and I am boarder line high blood pressure.. well I was when i went to the doctors back in the UK about a year ago. I use to get pains in my left arm and things like this, but since coming to thailand and changing my life style, following buddhism more, it has seemed to pass. But yes, I was just a little freked when I got this pulse sensation, especially as it darkens your vision arond the edges with each pulse if you see what I mean.

Tom :)
    edited July 2010
    Thank you lol, I guess it is normal then.. I am only 21 and I am boarder line high blood pressure.. well I was when i went to the doctors back in the UK about a year ago.

I don't blame you for worrying. I worry about my sensations as well, specially when they involve my head and my heart. I'm always scared I'll have an aneurysm pop or something, or get a heart attack, even if I'm young for that.
    I use to get pains in my left arm and things like this, but since coming to thailand and changing my life style, following buddhism more, it has seemed to pass.

I would also be worried if this had happened to me. I hope you're taking action in staying as healthy as possible to avoid any further complications.
    I was just a little freked when I got this pulse sensation, especially as it darkens your vision arond the edges with each pulse if you see what I mean.

I totally know what you mean. The same thing happens with me too. It's like someone is "squeezing" your eyes in the rhythm of the pulse. It's a crazy feeling indeed.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was referring to the physics concept of pulses (ie electromagnetic pulses) and the "wobble" of gravitational pulls!
    edited July 2010
    lol, maybe that is what you wanted it to be about ^.^ why not start a thread wobbles and pulses he 2nd...

lightwithin, are you being sarcastic lol? it is hard to tell humor, sarcasm and sincerity over the net. It doesn't scare the hell out of me or something, but it does get in the way of meditation sometimes. My left arm ache was very weird, it would happen the later part of the day and when I am sat down.. But it has gone now. I read that eating certain fruits helps with blood pressure so I eat a lot of fruit now, more than I use to. My diet is pretty healthy to be honest. MY dad had an enlarged heart, my mum has a hear murmur so I am pretty observant when it comes to that area.
    I am not taking any action, I think it is fine now. If I get any more problems then I will go and seek advise :)

Looking forward to readings wobbles and pulses 2 ;)

Tom
    edited July 2010
    lightwithin, are you being sarcastic lol? it is hard to tell humor, sarcasm and sincerity over the net.

No, no! No sarcasm at all. I really have been through the same things as you (with the wobbles and pulses, not the arm pain). And I really feel it's normal for you to be a lil worried given your history.

I'm glad the arm pain has subsided. I would be worried if that happened to me too. I'd say working on having a healthier diet IS taking action, so you're doing good there.
    edited July 2010
    It started about maybe 2 years ago where I had it aching now and again for about a week. It is this dull ache that feels as if it is deep in my arm. Kind of like a dead arm after being punched but slightly different. It sounds silly, but it actually feels like an artery is closing up or something lol. It went away and came back a few months later but I just worried about it a bit and that was that. It seems to have gone now once and for all, but if it comes back like I said, I will go get checked out. Having boarder line high blood pressure at 21 is ridiculous lol. Something you relate to someone who 50 or something, meh.
    Thanks anyway lightwithin, tom :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    If you are physically very still, many people can feel pulses in various parts of their body. It's not unusual. I can almost always feel a pulse in my descending aorta (just below my ribs in the center), and often I can feel it in my eyes and my neck. It's just a byproduct of being still.

Mtns