Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Center question.

edited July 2010 in General Banter
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I can go and and basically rebuild my life. I have had depression the past 4 years and been home doing nothing.

I actually found a place in Florida that has a farm and people stay there for 3 years doing work around the farm, pray, exercise and just in general help each other. The only problem I have is that they are based on Catholic beliefs and I am more geared towards Buddhism. This place is also free to go to.

Does anyone know of a place like this but for Buddhism or no religion? Thanks.

-happytime

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Are you interested in the Buddhist path for yourself, or only as a means to an end because you're depressed? There are literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of Buddhist retreat centers around the world, but they're not really intended as places to "rebuild your life" due to depression. If Buddhism has spoken to you and is the direction you want to go, then I'd tell you you probably don't need to pull up stakes and go somewhere to 'rebuild'. Ever heard of the book "Wherever you go, there you are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn? That basically means that you can't run away from your life. You can certainly beat depression, and you can do it wherever you are now. There's a wonderful book by Pema Chodron called "Start Where You Are" as well (and thousands of other good books).

I wish you the best in your quest...

Mtns
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There's a wonderful book by Pema Chodron called "Start Where You Are"

That is a Lojong book right?
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I can go and and basically rebuild my life.

There are facilities with depression treatment that work kind of like a rehab. You stay there, usually for one to three months, and then you have follow-up appointments. They probably cost a fortune though.
  • edited July 2010
    plum village in france sounds good to me not trying to undermine what the other guys have said though its just somewhere i could see myself going one day you may want to study some thich nhat hanh on you tube there is whole retreats to watch. he runs it there.

Daniel

may i do no harm
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Dude, is that you and a real tiger? [am I asking a lot of stupid questions today? :-x]
  • edited July 2010
    No sorry to dissapoint i found pic online looking for a nice hug pic lol
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Danny boy wrote: »
    No sorry to dissapoint i found pic online looking for a nice hug pic lol

speaking of large animal hugs....

Christian the Lion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGKWoJi5qM&feature=related

this always makes me cry, haha. i was able to see the full documentary once. very interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    LOVE IT i cryed a little too lol