Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Living Buddha Living Christ

edited August 2010 in Arts & Writings
Has anyone ever read this? I'm reading it and Thich Nhat Hanh keeps talking about Jesus as if he actually was a divine god, and the Holy Spirit is what the Bible says it is.
Is Thich Nhat Hanh a christian as well as a buddhist?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Thich Nhat Hanh is a Buddhist. However he sees both Jesus and Buddha as great teachers. Thich Nhat Hanh has images of both Buddha and Jesus on the shrine in his hermitage.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Daniel_,

I've read portions of that book; I was gifted an abridged version. I noticed that he spoke contextually within the beliefs of Christianity, not really because he was subscribed to the beliefs themselves, but it appeared to me that he was describing the resonance between the two. I imagine Hanh has a right view of the teachings, which would guide him to speak rightly within the syntax, if that makes any sense.

With warmth,

Matt
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Living Buddha, Living Christ is one of my all-time favorite books. I first discovered it in a cozy little bookstore at the Oregon coast, and read it on the beach with my special lady.

Thich Nhat Hanh is a Zen master who considers both Buddha and Jesus Christ as his spiritual ancestors. In his book describes both men as profound teachers who preached about love, compassion, and peace. The message of the book is that we don't have to focus on our religious differences, but rather our similarities. We can all touch the essence, the "living Buddha" or "living Christ" in our hearts.
  • edited August 2010
    The web site for Tich Nhat is an overwhelming dedication to the meaning of love. I often feel I may just pack up and go to plum Village in France and belong to such a beautiful organisation. I am learning the value of devotion to a power beyond my own limited experience and such expansive joy arises in moments of clarity and calm, he epitomizes the true meaning of loving kindness, one of many living Buddha's of our times.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    janet wrote: »
    I often feel I may just pack up and go to plum Village in France and belong to such a beautiful organisation.

If I spoke French, I would love to go there! He is an amazing teacher and a wonderful author. All of his books are a joy to read and are extremely insightful. I have learned so much from him, and I hope he keeps writing for a long time to come!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    French not required.
    it's a multi-national centre.

If everyone was required to speak French, they wouldn't get many visitors, would they?
    A good phrase-book would cover the other basic rudiments....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Daniel_ wrote: »
    Has anyone ever read this? I'm reading it and Thich Nhat Hanh keeps talking about Jesus as if he actually was a divine god, and the Holy Spirit is what the Bible says it is.
    Is Thich Nhat Hanh a christian as well as a buddhist?

My own Root guru often refers to Jesus as a Bodhisattva.
    Its always better not to cross Philosophies, Perhapes out of interest in drawing a comparision to similarities to create a more harmonious understanding, But if a Buddhist begins suggesting such a thing it would be wise to remember that Buddhism doesnt endorse creator gods, Its known as wrong view. :)
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    If I spoke French, I would love to go there! He is an amazing teacher and a wonderful author. All of his books are a joy to read and are extremely insightful. I have learned so much from him, and I hope he keeps writing for a long time to come!

I found this from The energy of prayer
    and hope it will support those who want harmony between peoples
    it is by Thich Nhat Hahn

When we can see that we and all living beings
    are one of the same nature,
    how can there be division between us?
    How can there be lack of harmony.

Are we not all one with God with Buddha
    so how can there be division?

The deepest desire of a practitioner
    is to be in touch with the ultimate dimensions.

I have to say it's a wonderful enthusiasm you have.
    Namasta from Janet
  • edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Its always better not to cross Philosophies, Perhapes out of interest in drawing a comparision to similarities to create a more harmonious understanding, But if a Buddhist begins suggesting such a thing it would be wise to remember that Buddhism doesnt endorse creator gods, Its known as wrong view. :)

I know I am new here and do not want to offend another. I like to share what is in my heart and would not want to step on toes, if I have then I am sorry for that was not my intention. I hope my words are received here.

As far as I can see the view about Mythology biblical or others wise is not the same as the living truth which the Buddha speaks about. Attainment of truth is available now and this matches with the Christ when he said Regard what is in front of you. From the Gospels of Thomas.

All paths lead to where we stand, paths are many truth is one. Trust truth of being alive and walking forward gently on the way. I think we can all fall and we can all be exalted but the humility of spiritual messages can keep us steady on the path of daily practice. especially meditation.
    edited August 2010
    janet wrote: »
    I know I am new here and do not want to offend another. I like to share what is in my heart and would not want to step on toes, if I have then I am sorry for that was not my intention. I hope my words are received here.

As far as I can see the view about Mythology biblical or others wise is not the same as the living truth which the Buddha speaks about. Attainment of truth is available now and this matches with the Christ when he said Regard what is in front of you. From the Gospels of Thomas.

All paths lead to where we stand, paths are many truth is one. Trust truth of being alive and walking forward gently on the way. I think we can all fall and we can all be exalted but the humility of spiritual messages can keep us steady on the path of daily practice. especially meditation.

All paths lead to one ? I wouldnt say this is so. Some paths lead to the higher realms, others lead to liberation, and others lead to enlightenment, although all 3 grounds for accomplishment imput similar concepts which are needed to accomplish them. Because everyone is individual it is reconmended that one take one road only, It would be rather like a traveler being faced with 3 directions and choosing to walk all 3 ( But because he/she only possess one body he/she cannot do all 3 at once ) while we rejoice in the positive minds being taught to those who engage in spiritual paths we must be mindful of our own, sure aspects of teachings might be useful in refereance to compliment our own practise, But the path one takes is already a complete vehcile to where we wish to travel. :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    All paths lead to one ? I wouldnt say this is so. Some paths lead to the higher realms, others lead to liberation, and others lead to enlightenment, . . . .
    I think some this depends on if we interpret things literally or more metaphorically.
    Case in point....me.
    I am a Pure Land Buddhist. I do not however believe there is literally a Pure Land with a Buddha emitting rays of light. I do not beleive that literally eons ago there was a bodhisattva named Dharmakara who made 48 vows, meditated for 10 kalpas and attained enlightenment establishing said Pure Land.
    I think it is a story. I think the clue is in the actual meanings:
    Dharmakara = storehouse of truth
    Amida (Amitabha/Amitayus) = infinite light/infinite life
    Buddha = perfectly awakened
    Sukhavati (the Pure Land) = utmost bliss.

So the practice of Nembutsu is being embraced by perfectly awakened infinite light and life, which leads to being "born into" utmost bliss.

Why is this presented as relying on an external Buddha?
    I think those familiar with Soto Zen and Shikan-taza will be able to relate to this.
    1. If I am not striving to attain enlightenment, (which would make enlightenment just another craving as in the 2nd noble truth) but wholly relying on Amida, it completely takes my ego out of it, and quickly and easily facilitates "letting go"
    2. If I am assured enlightenment at the end of this life, again it facilitate letting go of striving for enlightenment.

Now obviously Soto Zen does not utilize Amida Buddha for these things, but the end result ends up the same. Much of what I have said about Jodo Shinshu (and congratulations to those who are still reading this post! :lol:) could also be said about other paths....Christ, and Krishna as two examples.

When we see these stories as stories, it allows us to see the similarities, and religion becomes much like music...every culture has it's own. It always serves the same purpose. No one can really say one music is more correct than another, so you listen to the music that speaks to you most deeply.

When we see the stories as hard fact, we see only division between religions and are forced to declare one is better than another.
    I think fundamentalist or literal interpretations can function just as well within a given religion (Pure Land Buddhists who think there really is a Pure Land etc. get the same result as me) so it isn't an altogether terrible thing, but it does tend to foster difficult relations between different religions....obviously.

I also think that for those of us who have in fact traveled different paths at one time or other (I've practiced Christianity, Hinduism (Vedanta and Vaishevism), Soto Zen, and Jodo Shinshu in my lifetime) we are more inclined to see the similarities hiding behind the metaphors.

I do agree though that it is generally best for a person to choose a path of practice, and stay on that path, at least until it no longer serves it's purpose.

All that said...I also think TNH was engaging in some smart marketing by not scaring the Christians off of reading his books :lol:
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010

This is how I feel about Jesus as well! When I pray I think of him as "the Bodhisattva Jesus Christ."
    edited August 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    I think some this depends on if we interpret things literally or more metaphorically.
    Case in point....me.
    I am a Pure Land Buddhist. I do not however believe there is literally a Pure Land with a Buddha emitting rays of light. I do not beleive that literally eons ago there was a bodhisattva named Dharmakara who made 48 vows, meditated for 10 kalpas and attained enlightenment establishing said Pure Land.
    I think it is a story. I think the clue is in the actual meanings:
    Dharmakara = storehouse of truth
    Amida (Amitabha/Amitayus) = infinite light/infinite life
    Buddha = perfectly awakened
    Sukhavati (the Pure Land) = utmost bliss.

So the practice of Nembutsu is being embraced by perfectly awakened infinite light and life, which leads to being "born into" utmost bliss.

Why is this presented as relying on an external Buddha?
    I think those familiar with Soto Zen and Shikan-taza will be able to relate to this.
    1. If I am not striving to attain enlightenment, (which would make enlightenment just another craving as in the 2nd noble truth) but wholly relying on Amida, it completely takes my ego out of it, and quickly and easily facilitates "letting go"
    2. If I am assured enlightenment at the end of this life, again it facilitate letting go of striving for enlightenment.

Now obviously Soto Zen does not utilize Amida Buddha for these things, but the end result ends up the same. Much of what I have said about Jodo Shinshu (and congratulations to those who are still reading this post! :lol:) could also be said about other paths....Christ, and Krishna as two examples.

When we see these stories as stories, it allows us to see the similarities, and religion becomes much like music...every culture has it's own. It always serves the same purpose. No one can really say one music is more correct than another, so you listen to the music that speaks to you most deeply.

When we see the stories as hard fact, we see only division between religions and are forced to declare one is better than another.
    I think fundamentalist or literal interpretations can function just as well within a given religion (Pure Land Buddhists who think there really is a Pure Land etc. get the same result as me) so it isn't an altogether terrible thing, but it does tend to foster difficult relations between different religions....obviously.

I also think that for those of us who have in fact traveled different paths at one time or other (I've practiced Christianity, Hinduism (Vedanta and Vaishevism), Soto Zen, and Jodo Shinshu in my lifetime) we are more inclined to see the similarities hiding behind the metaphors.

I do agree though that it is generally best for a person to choose a path of practice, and stay on that path, at least until it no longer serves it's purpose.

All that said...I also think TNH was engaging in some smart marketing by not scaring the Christians off of reading his books :lol:

Dear friend what would you say of masters who beleive this to be literally true ? There are many practitoners within my own tradition who beleive by using the methods of Amitbha Buddha they in turn will be born into Sukhavati pureland but do not ascribe the Non literal translation you do to it. Im not saying that your indentification with it in this aspect is not valid but i beleive as others that the pureland is a place free from obstruction where one is able to eventually acheive enlightenment. :)
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    This is how I feel about Jesus as well! When I pray I think of him as "the Bodhisattva Jesus Christ."

Yes, Yes ! :D
    Jesus Perfomed the Bodhisattva's action of performing Taking and giving upon the cross what a perfect action of pacifying negative karma :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Jesus as Bodhisattva is a nice idea. Too bad my Christian friends don't see it that way.They say Bodhisattva is a Buddhist term and that Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God. One lady tells me that I cannot enter the kingdom of heaven until I have been "washed in the blood of the lamb" She knows I haven't been and have not been saved, but she loves me just the same.

My favorite book By Hahn is "The Diamond that cuts through illusion" it is his commentaries on the Diamond Sutra and it has a different tone, more involved, than his other books,
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Dear friend what would you say of masters who beleive this to be literally true ? There are many practitoners within my own tradition who beleive by using the methods of Amitbha Buddha they in turn will be born into Sukhavati pureland but do not ascribe the Non literal translation you do to it. Im not saying that your indentification with it in this aspect is not valid but i beleive as others that the pureland is a place free from obstruction where one is able to eventually acheive enlightenment. :)
    As I said in my post, I believe that in both cases the end result of enlightenment at the end of this life is achieved. In either case we are relying on Amitabha to attain a state of utmost bliss and attain full enlightenment at the end of this life.
    I just happen to feel that the reality of this is far beyond what we could conceive, but it is presented to us in a form that we can conceive. If I'm wrong...that's ok because I am still embraced by Amitabha.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Jesus as Bodhisattva is a nice idea. Too bad my Christian friends don't see it that way.They say Bodhisattva is a Buddhist term and that Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God. One lady tells me that I cannot enter the kingdom of heaven until I have been "washed in the blood of the lamb" She knows I haven't been and have not been saved, but she loves me just the same.

My favorite book By Hahn is "The Diamond that cuts through illusion" it is his commentaries on the Diamond Sutra and it has a different tone, more involved, than his other books,

Alas that so many Christians fail to read or take in what Saint Paul says about all being reconciled in Christ or Jesus saying that none is lost. As I read the Christian scriptures, grace (the free gift) is poured out on all creation so all is saved. Bad luck for those who want to gloat over or patronise the 'damned'.
    edited August 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    As I said in my post, I believe that in both cases the end result of enlightenment at the end of this life is achieved. In either case we are relying on Amitabha to attain a state of utmost bliss and attain full enlightenment at the end of this life.
    I just happen to feel that the reality of this is far beyond what we could conceive, but it is presented to us in a form that we can conceive. If I'm wrong...that's ok because I am still embraced by Amitabha.

Perhapes this sounds like a good theory do you have any evidence for it though ? :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    ..... Saint Paul says about all being reconciled in Christ or Jesus saying that none is lost. As I read the Christian scriptures, grace (the free gift) is poured out on all creation so all is saved. .
    Ok. Thankyou.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Perhapes this sounds like a good theory do you have any evidence for it though ? :)
    I'm not entirely certain what part of my post you want evidence of, so I'm going to take a guess and hope it addresses your question.

My interpretation is quite common in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism.
    Even among ministers you will find many who favour a metaphorical interpretation (the majority I have encountered) and some who favour a more literal interpretation. However all Jodo Shinshu Buddhists would agree that literal or metaphorical, Amida embraces us.
    Really it is not so much an argument on the existance of Perfectly Awakened infinite light and life (Amitabha), or a state of utmost bliss (Sukhavati), just on the form of these things, and of course...form is emptiness, emptiness is form. :lol:

My view is heavily influenced by this from Shinran who is the founder of Jodo Shinshu. (read jinen as the word Suchness if you like,.... also my bolding, ):
    Supreme Buddha is formless, and because of being formless is called jinen. Buddha, when appearing with form, is not called supreme nirvana. In order to make it known that supreme Buddha is formless, the name Amida Buddha is expressly used; so I have been taught. Amida Buddha fulfills the purpose of making us know the significance of jinen.

This is from the Collected Works of Shinran found here:
    http://www.shinranworks.com/hymns/shozomatsuwasan8.htm

I don't know if that gives you evidence, so much as maybe a deeper explanation of my thoughts, with support from Shinran. Our Theravadin friends would call into the doubt the three Pure Land Sutras, so even they are not any form of irrefutable evidence. So really the only evidence I could offer what I feel when reciting the nembutsu.
    Also I am nothing special, so you certainly don't need to feel I have some authority on this.

BTW I was not posting this interpretation in any attempt to make you or anyone agree with me. It was actually in the context of the idea that metaphorical interpretations of religion, tends to make for an easier relationship between them. I think few fundamentalist Christians would agree with Thich Nhat Hanh's thoughts on Jesus.

I don't think there is much more I can say on this.:)
  • edited August 2010
    I just came back from a 5 day retreat at Blue Cliff Monastery in Upstate NY which is one of the two US based Thich Nhat Hanh monasteries.

It was quite an experience and yes it's about love, peace and being in the present moment.

One of the great things about Thich Nhat Hanh is that he encourages everyone to go back to their roots (Judaism, Christians etc...) and practice them alongside the teachings of the Buddha. There is no reason why Buddhism cannot co-exist with one's religion or past history.

I do not follow any religion although I was born a catholic, yet I find this a great approach to encourage people to simply be mindful, and embrace Buddhism within their lives.

Ivan
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    oops turns out I have something more to add on the Pure Land - literal or metaphorical discussion (with apologies for thread highjacking:o )

I stumbled upon this article this evening:
    http://www.nembutsu.info/tokusuny.htm

now it isn't exactly a discussion of literal interpretations of the Pure Land Sutras, rather it comes sort of from the other direction; Zen criticism of PL for being theistic, and not teaching "Shunyata".

It is answered in this article, showing that Amida is suchness with form, which leads us to the formless, and thus Shunyata.
    Actually a pretty interesting read!