Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Food and Karma

2»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    after reading the section from the lamrim regarding the issue. Its true that the action of eating meat doesn't fully come to fruition
    however only because 3 of the 4 factors are present. I believe that it does have to create some kind of karma. It doesn't have the basis but all the others are there. Also it ties into wrong view. and stealing in someway by taking meat from a being . This may be out there but it feels right to me.
    It cant be stealing either unless you participate directly in the killing and removal of flesh from a living being.
    0 of the 4 factors are present.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    however only because 3 of the 4 factors are present.
    Which?

I believe that it does have to create some kind of karma.

Of course... everything does...

What kind of "karma" and results are you imagining?

Also it ties into wrong view.

Can you elaborate?

and stealing in someway by taking meat from a being .
    Oh, jesus christ.
    This may be out there but it feels right to me.
    Well obviously kamma works according to treederwright's far-out ideas that feel right to him. It's all written in stone. We'll all be reborn as cows.
  • edited August 2010
    Based on the Lamrim Chenmo : Rje Tsong Khapa

basis is absent

attitude - 2 of 3 poisons (Attachment & Ignorance )

Performance - Another is making the performance for me ( Tsong Khapa says that it doesn't matter weather we do it or it's done for us ) to have the food

Culmination- Death of another (Tsongkhapa doesn't refer to another human) on account of performance.

This creates Negative Karma. I believe that Tsongkhapa knows what he is talking about. This is also the attitude of aversion when it comes to wrong view.

Tsongkhapa says this analytical meditation is neccessary to produce the force for the ideas to stay in conciousness, due to much ignorance and other faults of several reincarnations. These means are neccessary.
  • edited August 2010
    Based on the Lamrim Chenmo : Rje Tsong Khapa

basis is absent

attitude - 2 of 3 poisons (Attachment & Ignorance )

Performance - Another is making the performance for me ( Tsong Khapa says that it doesn't matter weather we do it or it's done for us ) to have the food

Culmination- Death of another (Tsongkhapa doesn't refer to another human) on account of performance.

This creates Negative Karma. I believe that Tsongkhapa knows what he is talking about. This is also the attitude of aversion when it comes to wrong view.

Tsongkhapa says this analytical meditation is neccessary to produce the force for the ideas to stay in conciousness, due to much ignorance and other faults of several reincarnations. These means are neccessary.

With no basis the other three are not present.
    No sentient being ( basis ) , no intention to kill, since there is no being to kill (attitude), no performance (with no sentient being, there is no being to kill), no culmination (no being to kill, no killing).
    Tsongkhapa does know what he is talking about.
    Its up to us to understand what he is talking about.
    In any of these circumstances if there is no basis for the negative action the other 3 conditions are immediately irrelevant.
  • edited August 2010
    your not reading it right. Sorry to say the lamrim specifically says attitude in relation to the 3 poisions. I have it right in front of me. Performance is there. And Culmination.

The only reason basis doesn't apply is because your not intending to kill it, but the other 3 are present.
  • edited August 2010
    your not reading it right. Sorry to say the lamrim specifically says attitude in relation to the 3 poisions. I have it right in front of me. Performance is there. And Culmination.

The only reason basis doesn't apply is because your not intending to kill it, but the other 3 are present.

Nonsense.
    I have received the complete lam rim commentary in person from more than one lineage holder, and in no way does Tsongkhapa or any other teacher( Gelug or other) assert that you can accumulate negative karma in relation to an object that does not exist.
    No sentient being, no basis, no basis, no intent, no intent, no execution, no execution, no completion.
    Its straight forward.
    How can you accumulate negative karma in relation to an object that is not present?
    The attitude of the three poisons comes into play if you are walking around thinking about killing all day. That is ignorance and anger directly affecting the mind, but is not the case when it comes to purchasing meat a grocery store or restaurant. The two situations are different.
  • edited August 2010
    he says the basis is a living being, and to see a living being as non living is not true. just reading what it says.
  • edited August 2010
    he says the basis is a living being, and to see a living being as non living is not true. just reading what it says.

So a pile of meat behind a glass case at the grocery store or a burger on your plate is a living being?
  • edited August 2010
    ahh got ya. So like i said if i don't take it i don't result karma
  • edited August 2010
    ahh got ya. So like i said if i don't take it i don't result karma
    Bingo.
  • edited August 2010
    so i was right the karma comes from my action. But if i do eat it the other 3 factors are present. So isn't that the arguement in the first place.?
  • edited August 2010
    well then if it causes another karma by the basis etc. then if i help that person create karma, is that an infraction for me as a person helping others to be free?
  • edited August 2010
    so i was right the karma comes from my action. But if i do eat it the other 3 factors are present. So isn't that the arguement in the first place.?
    If you eat a piece of meat the factors are present for eating. not killing.
    Thats the difference.
    Since meat is not a living being and we are quite distant from the act of killing when we buy it in a store or restaurant there can be no way that the karma associated with purchasing meat and killing are equal.
    Now, if we see a living being, say a cow and think to ourselves, "I wanna eat that cow". Then proceed to kill the cow, butcher it, and eat the meat, and then feel satisfied with our actions, then and only then, do we have all four conditions for the karma of killing and stealing.
    That all said, I certainly dont advocate meat eating.
    I think we can make the ethical decision not to eat meat based upon different reasons, whether or not the karmic implications are dire.
  • edited August 2010
    well then if it causes another karma by the basis etc. then if i help that person create karma, is that an infraction for me as a person helping others to be free?
    Direct involvement, intention, and completion of an action followed by satisfaction in having done so are the elements necessary for the completion of the karmic process.
    Rejoicing in the virtue of others and inspiring them to do good are a different discussion. Intention in those cases becomes primary, and rejoicing directly confronts and diminishes our own negative patterns of jealousy.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I absolutely do not agree with or accept what you are saying.
    Your making sweeping generalizations that are based on your emotional perspective, not reason or the teachings, and do not account for any gray area. Its just not as black and white as you are claiming it to be.
    If the world functioned the way you are saying a person who goes to his or her mother-in-laws home for dinner with no knowledge of what is to be served and is given a dish with some meat in it would somehow accumulate negative karma for eating it.
    There is absolutely no way that this could be the case.
    You can disagree if you want but you arent disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with the teachings.
    How do you know it would be absolutely impossible ? Why am I disagreeing with the teachings and you are not ? I suppose it depends on which teachings you are talking about. And why do you suppose that somehow you understand the teachings better than I do ?
    If your talking about generalizations then I would say you have made a lot in this post yourself.
    Your point about going to dinner is absurd, if a person has no knowledge of what they are eating then of course they have no intention, on the other hand if the person knows it is meat that they are eating and they still eat it, then in my opinion there is intention, no body forces anybody to eat anything they do not want to.

metta to all sentient beings
    edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    "In some way," "some sort of," yadda yadda. Look at the way you struggle to label meat-eaters as murderers.

Eating meat obviously contributes to the death of an animal.

Now can you acknowledge, or will you ignore yet again, that eating a vegetable contributes "in some way" to the death of countless animals and creatures? Does that mean when you eat that vegetable that you had the intent to murder those creatures?

People often aren't even mindful of that, just as you're completely oblivious to the suffering caused through your own eating habits.

When a person eats meat they know exactly that an animal has been killed in order for them to eat meat. There is no doubt about this , it is a FACT 100% there is clear intention and knowledge that by eating meat an animal was killed for the person to be able to do it.
    However how exactly do you know that an animal has been killed when eating a plant ? I think it would be impossible to say 100 % that an animal died because this plant has been eaten, and therefore there is no intention. When someone eats a plant they have no knowledge of any animal being killed because of it, whereas this is completely the opposite for a person who eats meat.
    There is a DIRECT connection between eating meat and an animal being killed.
    So this argument has no foundation in my opinion.

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Your point about going to dinner is absurd, if a person has no knowledge of what they are eating then of course they have no intention, on the other hand if the person knows it is meat that they are eating and they still eat it, then in my opinion there is intention, no body forces anybody to eat anything they do not want to.

People eat with the knowledge that something is meat. Often they don't eat with the knowledge that it was once a living being. I don't mean they don't know where meat comes from. I mean that in the act of preparing their food and consuming it, that knowledge isn't actively present. Much like we are all aware that things are impermanent and yet we cling to them as if they might possibly last forever. There is no intention to harm another in the act of purchasing and eating the meat. There is no "killing karma."

I repeat:

Any acknowledgment of this? No? Still waiting...
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    When a person eats meat they know exactly that an animal has been killed in order for them to eat meat. There is no doubt about this , it is a FACT 100% there is clear intention and knowledge that by eating meat an animal was killed for the person to be able to do it.

I just explained to you...
    However how exactly do you know that an animal has been killed when eating a plant ? I think it would be impossible to say 100 % that an animal died because this plant has been eaten, and therefore there is no intention.

This is absolutely ignorant if you think that nothing has to die in for you to eat. Do you grow all your own foods on land free of any wildlife, without pesticides, and float on air to pick them from your garden, and dust the bugs gently off, and...? Life has to die in order for you to eat, you cold-blooded murderer.
    There is a DIRECT connection between eating meat and an animal being killed.
    Oh, right, so because you're not eating all the bugs and little animals that died for your salad, because they themselves weren't killed specifically for your salad, that makes it ok.
  • edited August 2010
    The compassion makes it more virtuious.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    What does the ignorance of the death involved make it?

I personally eat whatever. Often meat repulses me now because I am mindful of what it actually is whereas I used to disassociate... however when I watch my neighbour set out rabbit traps because they keep eating his raspberry plant, and poison to keep the bugs and slugs off his vegetables, I realize that death happens in both industries. I eat meat, but I choose where I buy it from. I eat veggies, but my room mate and I try to grow as much as our little garden allows. I make my own efforts in my own way. Are your actions inherently compassionate (in Buddhism, recognizing the desire of all beings to be free of suffering), and mine are not?
  • edited August 2010
    Valtiel, your not talking so nice to me. What did i do to you?
  • edited August 2010
    I have never told you that your arrogant and oppinionated , strong willed or disrespectful. So why do you think im against you, when im just trying to clairify for my practice and live a compasionate lifestyle. Did i offend you and contribute to your feelings of anger and frusteration?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Valtiel, your not talking so nice to me. What did i do to you?
    I have never told you that your arrogant and oppinionated , strong willed or disrespectful. So why do you think im against you, when im just trying to clairify for my practice and live a compasionate lifestyle. Did i offend you and contribute to your feelings of anger and frusteration?
    Um, huh?
    me wrote:
    [In response to zidangus]Oh, right, so because you're not eating all the bugs and little animals that died for your salad, because they themselves weren't killed specifically for your salad, that makes it ok.
    you wrote:
    The compassion makes it [eating vegetarian] more virtuious [than eating meat].
    me wrote:
    [once again referring to zidangus] What does the ignorance of the death involved make it?

I personally eat whatever. Often meat repulses me now because I am mindful of what it actually is whereas I used to disassociate... however when I watch my neighbour set out rabbit traps because they keep eating his raspberry plant, and poison to keep the bugs and slugs off his vegetables, I realize that death happens in both industries. I eat meat, but I choose where I buy it from. I eat veggies, but my room mate and I try to grow as much as our little garden allows. I make my own efforts in my own way. Are your actions inherently compassionate (in Buddhism, recognizing the desire of all beings to be free of suffering), and mine are not?
    ??? I'm not talking nicely to you? My feelings of frustration and anger?

Projecting?
    edited August 2010
    People eat with the knowledge that something is meat. Often they don't eat with the knowledge that it was once a living being. I don't mean they don't know where meat comes from. I mean that in the act of preparing their food and consuming it, that knowledge isn't actively present. Much like we are all aware that things are impermanent and yet we cling to them as if they might possibly last forever. There is no intention to harm another in the act of purchasing and eating the meat. There is no "killing karma."

I repeat:

Any acknowledgment of this? No? Still waiting...
    Your saying that some people who eat meat do not know that an animal has been killed to get that meat ? Well if that is the case then of course there is no intention. On the other hand if your saying that they know an animal died ( which I think is the majority of meat eaters ) but choose not to think about this fact as they are eating the meat, well sorry but this is completely different. Just because a person does not want to think about the consequences of their actions does not mean their is no intention, it just means they don't care about the consequences of their action.
    But if it makes someone feel better by passing the blame for the death of the animal onto some other person who actually did the killing and to not think about the animal being killed when they are eating meat then this is their choice as is the action of eating meat. It doesn't change the fact that a person has knowledge of the source of the meat and therefore there must be intention in this case.
    I ask you if a human was killed by another human who was not mindful of their action would they not get any negative karma as they were not mindful ? In my opinion they would.

metta to all
    edited August 2010
    I just explained to you...

This is absolutely ignorant if you think that nothing has to die in for you to eat. Do you grow all your own foods on land free of any wildlife, without pesticides, and float on air to pick them from your garden, and dust the bugs gently off, and...? Life has to die in order for you to eat, you cold-blooded murderer.

Oh, right, so because you're not eating all the bugs and little animals that died for your salad, because they themselves weren't killed specifically for your salad, that makes it ok.

Can you prove 100% that an animal died for the plant that I ate ? Of course you cannot, Whereas I can prove 100% that an animal died for every piece of meat. DIRECT CONNECTION , MEAT=ANIMAL SUFFERING not a MAYBE THERE COULD HAVE BEEN AN INSECT WHICH DIED, there is a difference my friend. When I grow and pick then eat a plant there is absolutly no intention what so ever that I wish an insect to be killed, if an insect is killed then this is unfortunate but still no intention on my behalf. Now when a person eats meat was there no intention that the animal would be killed for that person to eat the meat, of course there was intention !
    And you do not know what food I eat or how I obtain it, so I think your sarcastic comments are a bit out of order. Please respect my opinion as I respect yours, I maybe disagree with it but I still respect it.

metta to all beings
    edited August 2010
    Hi treederwright, I believe it is me who Valtiel, is being a bit sarcastic too not you. And if Valtiel thinks I am against him then, he is wrong I am simply giving my opinion and my interpretation of the law of karma which is just as valid as his.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    And this is how any thread on diet/vegetarianism/non-vegetarianism usually ends up.
    People get heated under the collar.

Knock it off, all of you, and be sensible.
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    And this is how any thread on diet/vegetarianism/non-vegetarianism usually ends up.
    People get heated under the collar.

Knock it off, all of you, and be sensible.

here here :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi treederwright, I believe it is me who Valtiel, is being a bit sarcastic too not you. And if Valtiel thinks I am against him then, he is wrong
    I never said I thought you were "against me." It's a debate. We're arguing opinions not each other, I would hope.
    On the other hand if your saying that they know an animal died ( which I think is the majority of meat eaters ) but choose not to think about this fact as they are eating the meat, well sorry but this is completely different. Just because a person does not want to think about the consequences of their actions does not mean their is no intention, it just means they don't care about the consequences of their action.

Surely as a practicing Buddhist you've examined how out-of-control our thoughts and mind actually are? Every moment you eat are you thinking about where each of your vegetables was sourced from? Are you mindful as you fall asleep that the bed you sleep on was once a tree? Every moment you spend on the internet are you mindful of the energy you're wasting? Do you live and breath the truth of anicca and anatta in every moment of your life, or are you aware of those truths but forget them throughout your daily life? Are you choosing to not be mindful of these things or does it just happen? Is part of Buddhism not to develop mindfulness?
    But if it makes someone feel better by passing the blame for the death of the animal onto some other person who actually did the killing and to not think about the animal being killed when they are eating meat then this is their choice as is the action of eating meat.

Has a meat-eater here made that argument?
    I ask you if a human was killed by another human who was not mindful of their action would they not get any negative karma as they were not mindful ? In my opinion they would.

Like what kind of "negative karma"?
    I am simply giving my opinion and my interpretation of the law of karma which is just as valid as his.
    I disagree. Just because you believe the world is flat does not make it so and no matter how hard anyone tries they just won't find the end of it or fall off...
    Can you prove 100% that an animal died for the plant that I ate ? Of course you cannot, Whereas I can prove 100% that an animal died for every piece of meat. DIRECT CONNECTION , MEAT=ANIMAL SUFFERING not a MAYBE THERE COULD HAVE BEEN AN INSECT WHICH DIED, there is a difference my friend.
    There is no "could have been." Even with every breath you take and every step you take, there is death. Denying this is just pure ignorance, denial, and wishful thinking.
    When I grow and pick then eat a plant there is absolutly no intention what so ever that I wish an insect to be killed, if an insect is killed then this is unfortunate but still no intention on my behalf.
    The same is generally true of meat-eaters.
    Now when a person eats meat was there no intention that the animal would be killed for that person to eat the meat, of course there was intention !
    You just don't seem to get that a person can know that meat comes from animals but be entirely oblivious to this in the everyday act of preparing and eating meat. There is a distance in one's mind from the burger on their plate and the cow at the slaughterhouse. As well, if a person, as in another example, goes to dinner and is served meat, even if they're mindful of where it came from, there was no intent on that person's part for that animal to die.

Intent: "the state of mind with which an act is done."

There are no thoughts of harm or murder. To continue to insist there are when other people, both meat-eaters and vegans, are telling you otherwise, makes you irrational and living in a world in which you're taking your fantasies as reality.
    And you do not know what food I eat or how I obtain it, so I think your sarcastic comments are a bit out of order.
    It doesn't matter because no matter how you obtain your food or what you eat there is death involved. That is life.
    Please respect my opinion as I respect yours, I maybe disagree with it but I still respect it.
    You respect someone you consider a murderer? Really? I'm surprised that a bit of sarcasm is offensive yet you seem to have superglued your Caps Lock button down for this conversation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010

The same is generally true of meat-eaters.

You just don't seem to get that a person can know that meat comes from animals but be entirely oblivious to this in the everyday act of preparing and eating meat. There is a distance in one's mind from the burger on their plate and the cow at the slaughterhouse. As well, if a person, as in another example, goes to dinner and is served meat, even if they're mindful of where it came from, there was no intent on that person's part for that animal to die.

This is stretching credibility a bit far.
    And I'm an occasional meat-eater.

A meat-eater may not have the intention of having an animal die for his supper. A meat-eater may not even be physically capable of killing, or cannot bring themselves to do it.
    But even by eating meat, there is a silent consent to the action of killing the animal, in order to be nourished by it.

Intent: "the state of mind with which an act is done."
    if I 'intend' to eat meat, then I'm mindful of the fact that something is going to have to lose its life, in order for me to do so.
    There are no thoughts of harm or murder. To continue to insist there are when other people, both meat-eaters and vegans, are telling you otherwise, makes you irrational and living in a world in which you're taking your fantasies as reality.
    The simple fact is, whatever you do, own it.

Don't justify, clarify or make excuses, one way or the other.
    Abstain from criticism and condemnation.
    Just own your own actions, and be responsible for them.
    Full stop and end of story.
    It doesn't matter because no matter how you obtain your food or what you eat there is death involved. That is life.
    And we should all own that too.

I'm prepared to keep this thread open, providing people desist from personal baiting or ad hominem criticisms.

"Hate the sin but not the sinner"
    Discuss the comments but not the poster.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    A meat-eater may not have the intention of having an animal die for his supper. A meat-eater may not even be physically capable of killing, or cannot bring themselves to do it.
    But even by eating meat, there is a silent consent to the action of killing the animal, in order to be nourished by it.
    There really is not. There were so many times in the middle of a meal where I stopped because I suddenly realized I was eating what was once an animal. Generally, even with my dad working in a slaughterhouse all his life, in my mind, at the dinner table, a hamburger was a hamburger not a cow and a cow was no where in my mind. This is not always the case with all people, but generally, most people are just thinking "me hungry, burger tasty."
    if I 'intend' to eat meat, then I'm mindful of the fact that something is going to have to lose its life, in order for me to do so.
    No. Perhaps you are, and we all should be, but try walking up to all the people in a McDonald's restaurant and ask them if they've thought about he fact that an animal had to die for their meal since they sat down and ordered. I can almost guarantee the response you'll get.
    edited August 2010
    There really is not. There were so many times in the middle of a meal where I stopped because I suddenly realized I was eating what was once an animal. Generally, even with my dad working in a slaughterhouse all his life, in my mind, at the dinner table, a hamburger was a hamburger not a cow and a cow was no where in my mind. This is not always the case with all people, but generally, most people are just thinking "me hungry, burger tasty."

No. Perhaps you are, and we all should be, but try walking up to all the people in a McDonald's restaurant and ask them if they've thought about he fact that an animal had to die for their meal since they sat down and ordered. I can almost guarantee the response you'll get.

Ah.
    Ok.
    I take your point.
    I was rather narrowly speaking from the specific perspective of a Buddhist doing this.
    I wasn't including the population in general, which I admit was somewhat blinkered of me.
    edited August 2010

I'm sorry Valtiel, but you just cannot seem to see the direct connection between intentionally eating meat and an animal suffering. The examples you state for me being responsible for death with stuff like every breath I take are completely false, as I have no intention and I'll write it again so you don't misunderstand me, NO INTENTION to cause harm to a being when I breath, or sleep on my wooden bed etc etc I just don't see how you can say that for a person who eats meat.
    Let me say again I have nothing against people who eat meat, it is their choice how they live their life. But my opinion is that they must take some responsability for the animals death.
    Anyway I seem like I am banging my head against a brick wall talking to you. Lets agree to disagree, So I will end this wishing you metta.

metta to all
  • edited August 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    I'm sorry Valtiel, but you just cannot seem to see the direct connection between intentionally eating meat and an animal suffering. The examples you state for me being responsible for death with stuff like every breath I take are completely false, as I have no intention and I'll write it again so you don't misunderstand me, NO INTENTION to cause harm to a being when I breath, or sleep on my wooden bed etc etc I just don't see how you can say that for a person who eats meat.
    Let me say again I have nothing against people who eat meat, it is their choice how they live their life. But my opinion is that they must take some responsability for the animals death.
    Anyway I seem like I am banging my head against a brick wall talking to you. Lets agree to disagree, So I will end this wishing you metta.

metta to all

You're reasoning on this is really weird.
    Your arguments have been refuted over and over in this thread by more than one poster and you just dont seem to be paying attention.
    Valtiel's reasoning and reference to Buddhist teachings is totally sound. Yours is not.
  • edited August 2010
    How do you know it would be absolutely impossible ? Why am I disagreeing with the teachings and you are not ? I suppose it depends on which teachings you are talking about. And why do you suppose that somehow you understand the teachings better than I do ?

The teachings I am referring to are pretty clear throughout this thread. Their source is the abhidhamma and they are clearly illustrated and expressed in commentaries of the Mahayana and Vajrayana, at least three examples have already been posted in this thread.
    I dont suppose my understanding of the teachings is better than yours, but, since you have not responded to any of the posts that refer to them and you have not referred to them in any way on your own, its not hard to draw the conclusion that you dont know your ass from your elbow.
    You should actually read other peoples posts, rather than repeating the same tired arguments over and over again.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm sorry Valtiel, but you just cannot seem to see the direct connection between intentionally eating meat and an animal suffering.
    Of course I can. This is quite possibly the worst Straw Man I've ever seen.

However, earlier in this Thread you argued that:
    Ah so you accept that when a person eats meat, they are contributing in some way to the animals death and suffering, and therefore there is some sort of intention to do this in a persons actions when they eat meat.
    The point is, this same logic can be applied to your eating habits, but when I do so, you reject said logic as being unsound.

Perhaps your position is fair, but your reasoning is terribly flawed.
    The examples you state for me being responsible for death with stuff like every breath I take are completely false, as I have no intention and I'll write it again so you don't misunderstand me, NO INTENTION to cause harm to a being when I breath, or sleep on my wooden bed etc etc
    My examples were not to demonstrate intention, but mindfulness of what is taking place, as you argued that in the act of eating meat a person must be aware that death took place and this is simply not true, even to a person who knows that cows go to slaughter and meat comes from that process. And where there is no awareness of the death there can be no desire or intent for the animal to die. I'm not one to point out logical fallacies in debate but you really do continue to attack Straw Men.
    Anyway I seem like I am banging my head against a brick wall talking to you... So I will end this wishing you metta.
    :lol:
    edited August 2010
    The teachings I am referring to are pretty clear throughout this thread. Their source is the abhidhamma and they are clearly illustrated and expressed in commentaries of the Mahayana and Vajrayana, at least three examples have already been posted in this thread.
    I dont suppose my understanding of the teachings is better than yours, but, since you have not responded to any of the posts that refer to them and you have not referred to them in any way on your own, its not hard to draw the conclusion that you dont know your ass from your elbow.
    You should actually read other peoples posts, rather than repeating the same tired arguments over and over again.
    I have read other posts and know of your sources teachings, but the Mahayana schools generally recommend a vegetarian diet, because they believe that the Buddha insisted that his followers should not eat meat or fish. Anyway you are coming across as having a superiority complex over me with constant belittling of my opinion such as "you don't know your ass from your elbow" and comments alike. I am sorry you have this view and maybe its this type of view which makes it hard for you to see a connection between eating meat and negative karma, like a some what superiority complex you have over animals.

Anyway I wish you peace and happiness in your life.

Metta to all
    edited August 2010
    Of course I can. This is quite possibly the worst Straw Man I've ever seen.

However, earlier in this Thread you argued that:

The point is, this same logic can be applied to your eating habits, but when I do so, you reject said logic as being unsound.

Perhaps your position is fair, but your reasoning is terribly flawed.

My examples were not to demonstrate intention, but mindfulness of what is taking place, as you argued that in the act of eating meat a person must be aware that death took place and this is simply not true, even to a person who knows that cows go to slaughter and meat comes from that process. And where there is no awareness of the death there can be no desire or intent for the animal to die. I'm not one to point out logical fallacies in debate but you really do continue to attack Straw Men.

:lol:
    Please read my last post :)
  • edited August 2010
    I have read other posts and know of your sources teachings, but the Mahayana schools generally recommend a vegetarian diet, because they believe that the Buddha insisted that his followers should not eat meat or fish. Anyway you are coming across as having a superiority complex over me with constant belittling of my opinion such as "you don't know your ass from your elbow" and comments alike. I am sorry you have this view and maybe its this type of view which makes it hard for you to see a connection between eating meat and negative karma, like a some what superiority complex you have over animals.

Anyway I wish you peace and happiness in your life.

Metta to all

At this point we are just going to run around in circles.
    You can think what you want, as unfortunate and ridiculous as it may be, its your opinion and you're entitled to it.
    What has been stated over and over again is that the karma associated with BUYING meat and KILLING are different. You seem to be missing that still.
    Not sure where you are getting the "superiority complex over animals" bit, but if weird assumptions about my views on animals make you feel better about your ridiculous arguments go right ahead.
    edited August 2010
    Not sure where you are getting the "superiority complex over animals" bit, but if weird assumptions about my views on animals make you feel better about your ridiculous arguments go right ahead.
    You should try reading your posts to me without those rose tinted glasses. You have insulted me and my opinions time and time again. Again its akin to a superiority complex as if your opinion is somehow more important and you know more than me. If you thought of animals as equals to yourself you would not be talking about how a person is not responsible in any way for an animals death when they eat meat.
    You may wish to practice right speech with mindfulness in the future.
    Again I will not reply to any more of your posts as you clearly do not respect my opinion.
    metta to all
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Please read my last post :)

My quoting your last post in the post you just responded to would indicate that I have. I am not asking nor expecting you to respond.
  • edited August 2010
    You should try reading your posts to me without those rose tinted glasses. You have insulted me and my opinions time and time again.
    You may wish to practice right speech with mindfulness in the future.

metta to all

So you're going to start playing the victim now?

Get over yourself.
    edited August 2010
    So you're going to start playing the victim now?

Get over yourself.
    Stop playing the high and mighty, which you are not.
    Read the Nirvana sutra
    http://www.nirvanasutra.net/mpnsvegetarianism.htm
    I think you will find it agree's with my view.

metta to all
  • edited August 2010
    Stop playing the high and mighty, which you are not.
    Read the Nirvana sutra
    http://www.nirvanasutra.net/mpnsvegetarianism.htm
    I think you will find it agree's with my view.

metta to all
    Actually it doesnt.
    These are ethical prohibitions of meat eating and they apply to the generation of loving-kindness etc. Nobody is denying that.
    The point of contention is the idea that the karma associated with purchasing meat is equal to the karma associated with killing.
    And I know I'm not playing the high and mighty, thanks for noticing.
  • edited August 2010
    sometimes people don't ask the right questions here and others give answers to questions not asked. It gets off topic and oppionated sometimes. But im guilty of this very thing as well so i know its temptations and results.
    edited August 2010
    OK. Fine.
    Don't say I didn't warn you.......
This discussion has been closed.