Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

schools

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Just a quick thought. I am aware there are different schools in buddhism and I think I understand why they exist. Can someone with with the knowledge simply list the 3 schools and how they are different? I am not sure if as buddhists we should take aspects from each school or follow on specific school?

Thanks, tom :)

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Two things (from my point of view)... First, I'm *positive* there are threads on that already resident on the site. Also, a simple Google search will get you a ton of information on the various branches of Buddhism.

Secondly, does it matter? Do what you feel is right for you, not what someone else tells you to do. If you want to follow one particular branch of Buddhism, go for it. But at their core, all of them stem from the 3 jewels, the 4 noble truths, and the eight fold path. All the rest is window dressing created by people and layered on top of those basic things. It's all heading toward the same place.

Peace

Mtns
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I put it here because I was most likely to get a clear cut answer without having to sift through text. Also I wanted to know if it is important to follow a certain school, it is something I really have no clue about which is why I asked if it is something you should consider.
    I could have searched it in the search bar in the forum, which didn't cross my mind so I will do that, thank you anyway :)
    edited July 2010
    It's only important if it's important to you. Millions of us just practice the basics, that's all. I don't have the luxury of a local teacher, so I'm more or less on my own. I try to focus on those basic principles.

I'm sure it would be easier to have someone answer your question about schools of Buddhism, but there is tons of information already out there for the taking. Here's a direct copy and paste out of Wikipedia's main entry on Buddhism:

Schools and traditions

Buddhists generally classify themselves as either Theravada or Mahayana.[165] This classification is also used by some scholars[166][page needed] and is the one ordinarily used in the English language.[167] An alternative scheme used by some scholars[168] divides Buddhism into the following three traditions or geographical or cultural areas: Theravada, East Asian Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism.
    Some scholars[169] use other schemes. Buddhists themselves have a variety of other schemes. Hinayana (literally "lesser vehicle") is used by Mahayana followers to name the family of early philosophical schools and traditions from which contemporary Theravada emerged, but as this term is rooted in the Mahayana viewpoint and can be considered derogatory, a variety of other terms are increasingly used instead, including Śrāvakayāna, Nikaya Buddhism, early Buddhist schools, sectarian Buddhism, conservative Buddhism, mainstream Buddhism and non-Mahayana Buddhism.
    Not all traditions of Buddhism share the same philosophical outlook, or treat the same concepts as central. Each tradition, however, does have its own core concepts, and some comparisons can be drawn between them.
    Mahayana Buddhism shows a great deal of doctrinal variation and development over time, and even more variation in terms of practice. While there is much agreement on general principles, there is disagreement over which texts are more authoritative.
    Despite differences among the Theravada and Mahayana schools there are, for example according to one Buddhist ecumenical organization,[170] several concepts common to both major Buddhist branches:
    Both accept the Buddha as their teacher.
    Both accept the Middle way, Dependent origination, the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path and the Three marks of existence, in theory, though in practice these have little or no importance in some traditions.
    Both accept that members of the laity and of the sangha can pursue the path toward enlightenment (bodhi).
    Both consider buddhahood to be the highest attainment; however Theravadins consider the nirvana (nibbana to the Theravadins) attained by arahants as identical to that attained by the Buddha himself, as there is only one type of nirvana. According to Theravadins, a buddha is someone who has discovered the path all by himself and taught it to others.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    cheers mountains :) I try to follow the basics and try to remain mindful of them throughout the day, although I find I am still so so conditioned it is unreal.
    Although the more I read into it, the more I hear what people have to say from lay people to teachers, I become more and more drawn in. I am leaning towards going to find myslelf a teacher here in thailand but I still have social anxiety to a degree which stops me from doing so. Also the whole language barrier issue. I speak a bit of thai and I am sure a lot of monks speak a bit of english, but I would feel a bit sily being a westerner walking up to a buddhist temple. Even though most monks are not so judgmental

Thanks again mtns
    edited July 2010
    Of all the people on earth you could approach without worrying about being judged, I'd say a Buddhist monk would probably top the list. Regardless of any language barrier. Go for it!

Mtns