Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do projections have a source? Theory or non-causation.

edited August 2010 in Philosophy
What do you think the Buddha meant went he said that projections "have no source, no cessation, and no dwelling?"

I think it has to do with the theory of non-origination or non-causation.

I mean... I really get confused sometimes.

I start thinking where all this crap is coming from. Then I think... well... these projections or delusions have no source, they never cease, and the cannot dwell. That makes me feel better.

But why can't we just as humans be free from confusion? There has to be a source or a cause for all this mental prattle. Why does it never cease? Is it just Life itself?

When I meditate I really try to disect my projection sometimes... but all I find are shadows and worms, you know, just nothing. So "no source" does makes sense in that way.

Do projections really have no source and no causation? What do you think? :tonguec:

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Would you be kind enough to give a sutta reference for that quote, so it can be examined in context?
  • edited August 2010
    Oh I don't know... I think it's part of the Kadampa slogans. It's also well gone into in the Lankavatara sutra.

Pretty much it says that mental phenomena has no causation - it has no source. It never stops. And there is no ground for it to dwell on. Things appear and disappear. They come from nowhere and go to nowhere.

But why does it happen? Well... if there is no source for the manifestation of mental phenomena then that worry can be put aside. The Kadampa slogans say this theory or idea "no source, no cessation, no dwelling" is our best protection against going crazy. When we start loosing our ground about how the world "is" a lot of mental projections start to happen. As we get closer and closer to a God-bardo-state a lot of wierd scary stuff starts happening. Then we start analyzing and scutinizing... the whirpool starts going. But with this slogan - that mental phenomena has no source - that Mara is a headless snake - a lot of this crazyness subsides. As you get further on the path... these climax experiences - these bardo states - get easier and easier to deal with because you have a foundation of learning how to deal with them.

So I think realizing that the samsaric side of the experience has no actual source is how we liberate ourselves so we can enter into eternity, non-experience, abhidarma.

It's helped me a lot to get through some rough spots in my meditation... especially when Mara showed up in its most violent way.
  • OtioseDodgeOtioseDodge Explorer
    edited August 2010
    Hi milkmoth,

I think that this quote can be viewed through the lens of emptiness.

In other words, source, cessation, and dwelling are all concepts, and have only conventional existence. Ultimately, they don't exist.

I think that this type of conceptualization, and the ignorance of its ultimate non-existence (which, according to the Buddha, is the source of all our suffering), can eventually be eradicated. Of course that requires a Herculean effort, since we would literally have to get rid of all our conditioning about the nature of reality.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »
    What do you think the Buddha meant went he said that projections "have no source, no cessation, and no dwelling?"

Do projections really have no source and no causation? What do you think? :tonguec:

Yes................... and no.

This quote is based on our fundamental nature, which is emptiness (space, sky) and luminosity (appearance, reality). Emptiness and reality coexist, so causation (reality) and non-causation(emptiness) coexist. Though that's not completely correct either! Basically, when you get into the deep recesses of dharma then words no longer have any great accuracy. Even the proverbial "finger pointing at the moon" doesn't quite point in exactly the right place, its sort of pointing in the vague direction to look. Normally, you don't really need to worry too much about this until you have a good grounding in Buddhist theory. Though, this differs depending on the tradition followed and your own karmic history.

However, if you work hard to achieve some semblance of tranquillity and stability in meditation ( by not trying too hard! ), then you can look at your own mind and discover the non-arising directly from there. Its there to be found. Try "Mind at Ease" by Traleg Kyabgon, that will explain the context of the above quotes and if you have the inclination lead on from there.

Cheers,
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Pretty much it says that mental phenomena has no causation - it has no source. It never stops. And there is no ground for it to dwell on. Things appear and disappear. They come from nowhere and go to nowhere.

But why does it happen?

I think they say that because asking the question "why does it happen?" is like asking the question "why is there Samsara to begin with?" and trying to answer such a question will make you go crazy. I think it would be accurate to classify such a question as "a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. It is accompanied by suffering, distress, despair, & fever, and it does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation; to calm, direct knowledge, full Awakening, Unbinding." More importantly is the question "what can be done about this samsara?"
    But why can't we just as humans be free from confusion?

But we can be...

:)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The Kadampa slogans say this theory or idea "no source, no cessation, no dwelling" is our best protection against going crazy. When we start loosing our ground about how the world "is" a lot of mental projections start to happen. As we get closer and closer to a God-bardo-state a lot of wierd scary stuff starts happening. Then we start analyzing and scutinizing... the whirpool starts going. But with this slogan - that mental phenomena has no source - that Mara is a headless snake - a lot of this crazyness subsides. As you get further on the path... these climax experiences - these bardo states - get easier and easier to deal with because you have a foundation of learning how to deal with them.

What you're describing here sounds like a phenomena that is difficult to skillfully approach. When we become open, often we might experience explicitly synchronized moments where, depending on the content of the experience, we can increase the ego through resonance.

Because it can appear to be affirming positive attributes or confirming negative attributes, some have come to attribute an external wisdom, like signposts on the highway, which I believe is what the slogan is attempting to dissuade. The synchronicity is not affirming content, it is simply a reflection of the openness of the eye, and is best let go of like any mental phenomena. There might be some nuggets of latent content, but the manifest content has no source, no meaning and is not an advisor for us along the path. In my opinion, that is.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited August 2010
    Well... the reason I ask is because I am involved in changing my dimension. As I understand Buddha's explicit and most secret doctrine... he speaks of a place where infinite dimensions are being created simulataneously. Science just calls it String Theory 101. The moment is breaking up in billions of alternative ways - ways in which we can choose to travel. The secret doctrine of soul travel in Sant Mat religion also speaks of this gift.

So... In my reality... all the things that have happened over the last 15 years since I awoke have been my creation. My goal is to silence the world completely. Take all the people out. Return to the first Skanda in spirit form. That means the end of the world... and having crossed that threshhold make it in my own image. That is to say... becoming the opposite of Rudra discarding flesh and becoming luminous.

I know everyone has the same opportunity. I know that everyone will take this same journey.

So I ask because of the phenomena that happens in putting silence to the world. It's kinda scary and amazing at the same time.
  • edited August 2010
    Well... the reason I ask is because I am involved in changing my dimension. As I understand Buddha's explicit and most secret doctrine... he speaks of a place where infinite dimensions are being created simulataneously. Science just calls it String Theory 101. The moment is breaking up in billions of alternative ways - ways in which we can choose to travel. The secret doctrine of soul travel in Sant Mat religion also speaks of this gift.

So... In my reality... all the things that have happened over the last 15 years since I awoke have been my creation. My goal is to silence the world completely. Take all the people out. Return to the first Skanda in spirit form. That means the end of the world... and having crossed that threshhold make it in my own image. That is to say... becoming the opposite of Rudra discarding flesh and becoming luminous.

I know everyone has the same opportunity. I know that everyone will take this same journey.

So I ask because of the phenomena that happens in putting silence to the world. It's kinda scary and amazing at the same time.

This is the single weirdest post I have seen on this forum.
    You're either pulling our collective leg, or you should be seeing somebody.
    Let me guess, you "awoke" without the guidance of a teacher.
    If this is the case you desperately need an authentic Buddhist teacher and or a good therapist.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    So... In my reality... all the things that have happened over the last 15 years since I awoke have been my creation.

This is most certainly a root of your delusion. I hope that you look for an authentic teacher who can help you unlock this ego-centric perspective.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited August 2010
    I am reminded of the aspects of Padmasambhava. Legend says he lives to this day and dwells with the vampires and the phantoms.

What really worries me - used to really worry me - was the physical phenomena that accompanies becoming trully realized.

Sometimes a silence descends that is so impenetrable that the world stands still. It's happened many times and comes with a heaviness on the body. The quiet is so peaceful and is accompanied by a robust feeling of wholesomeness and by rainbows over the house - double rainbows - shower storms - the obeisance of all the animals around me - and especially the people.

The people, everyone, even my parents... their eyes turn completely black. And the mass "conspiracy" starts to happen. I used to call it Mara of course... but I think it's just the phenomena of becoming pure Light.

This stuff is also gone into in Nagualism... the phantom phenomena. People aren't people anymore. They are phantoms who act like puppets to some cosmic joke.

Now that I've had years of experience with this I think we are all destined to take the same journey. I don't know what happens to other people. I still think they are people but the difference between Light and grey makes them dark and black. But I hope and I sort of know that this is the only way it can happen - the only way one can liberate himself and bring "other" and "many" into the One.

It's a cosmic joke that flies in the face of world compassion. Why does it have to be this way? Bhudda himself said not to worry about it... in truth, "there are no beings to be saved."
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited August 2010

I think it has to do with the theory of non-origination or non-causation.

I mean... I really get confused sometimes.

I start thinking where all this crap is coming from. Then I think... well... these projections or delusions have no source, they never cease, and the cannot dwell. That makes me feel better.

But why can't we just as humans be free from confusion? There has to be a source or a cause for all this mental prattle. Why does it never cease? Is it just Life itself?

When I meditate I really try to disect my projection sometimes... but all I find are shadows and worms, you know, just nothing. So "no source" does makes sense in that way.

This few quotes will explain why dependent origination = no source

Mahasi Sayadaw:

"...Before a drum is beaten, its sound does not exist in the drum itself, the drumstick, or anywhere in between. Even though a sound occurs when the drum is beat, the sound does not originate from the drum or the drumstick. The physical phenomena of drum and drumstick are not transformed into a sound nor does the sound originate from anywhere in between drum and drumstick. In dependence on the drum, the drumstick, and the hitting of the drum, the sound is a completely new phenomenon each time the drum is hit. The drum and the stick are different from the sound.

In the same way, before you see something or someone, seeing does not exist in the eye, in the visible form, or anywhere in between. The seeing that takes place neither originates in the eye nor in the visible form. The seeing consciousness neither originates in the eye nor in the visible forms, which are physical phenomena. It also does not originate from anywhere in between. Seeing is actually a new phenomenon that arises due to the combination of the eye, the visible form, light, and your attention. Thus, the eye and the visible form are different from the seeing. The same is true for the other senses..."

- http://awakeningtore...on-of-self.html

David Loy:

"...the hierarchy that causality constructs must collapse into an interpenetration in which each event is equally conditioned by the whole and manifests that whole as the only thing in the universe.
    "...we find ourselves in a universe of sunya-events, none of which can be said to occur for the sake of any other. Each nondual event -- every leaf-flutter, wandering thought, and piece of litter -- is whole and complete in itself, because although conditioned by everything else in the universe and thus a manifestation of it, for precisely that reason it is not subordinated to anything else but becomes an unconditioned end-in-itself..."

"...the hierarchy that causality constructs must collapse into an interpenetration in which each event is equally conditioned by the whole and manifests that whole as the only thing in the universe...""

Zen Master Dogen:

"Firewood becomes ash, and it does not become firewood again. Yet, do not suppose that the ash is future and the firewood past. You should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal expression of firewood, which fully includes past and future and is independent of past and future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression of ash, which fully includes future and past. Just as firewood does not become firewood again after it is ash, you do not return to birth after death.

This being so, it is an established way in buddha-dharma to deny that birth turns into death. Accordingly, birth is understood as no-birth. It is an unshakable teaching in Buddha's discourse that death does not turn into birth. Accordingly, death is understood as no-death.

Birth is an expression complete this moment. Death is an expression complete this moment. They are like winter and spring. You do not call winter the beginning of spring, nor summer the end of spring."

- http://awakeningtore...undamental.html
  • edited August 2010
    I am reminded of the aspects of Padmasambhava. Legend says he lives to this day and dwells with the vampires and the phantoms.

no.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010

My goal is to silence the world completely. Take all the people out.

what world you are referring to? your world? my world? or the world of anyone else?
    or your world when you were in your schooling age? Your world as an adult now?

can you see your world is getting bigger and bigger every day (every moment)?
    can you see your world is getting bigger through your own six sense bases?

if you can see that you will know where you should look into silence your world completely

it is not scary because we experience the calm state of mind and peace withi