Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

meditation bench

edited August 2010 in Meditation
hi everyone. :-)

i'm thinking of getting a meditation bench. any tips: companies to buy from, companies to avoid, height/angle of seat, leg type (rounded/square), material for seat cover, etc.? things that meditation-bench "veterans" know that newbies might not.

thanks! :-)

rachMiel

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Do you have any experience sitting in seiza at all, with or without a bench?

Recommendations - optimum height of bench legs varies for different individuals

Rounded legs give you more adjustable positions

Wear THIN cloth trousers when sitting seiza - jeans will hurt you with or without a bench

Ease into it - don't try to sit seiza for long periods of time right away, unless you are very very flexible already.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks, Engyo. :-) I appreciate your tips. AND ... you taught me a new term: sitting seiza. (Is that anything like sitting shiva?) ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    Seiza is what most westerners would call sitting (or kneeling) on your feet. For westerners, who didn't grow up sitting like this, it can put stress on knees and sometimes hips, as well as causing numbness in ankles and feet. Use of a bench can alleviate much of this stress, for longer periods of time.
  • edited August 2010
    Seiza is the "kneeling posture" (which I was never able to manage ). OTOH , usually, the cross legged position , which could be a lotus posture or just your burnese posture ( which is your average cross legged posture) is generally easier on your body.
    If you want a bench or a zafu or gomden to make the experience more comfortable. I suggest this place.
    http://www.samadhicushions.com/
    While I've bought from other places as well, samadhi's benches are really nice (not cheap)
    I'm 71 years old and my knees are complaining which could be very distracting. Yet I insist on sitting just on the zafu hoping one day my legs will get used to it. But I do have a bench for those days when my knees just refuse to cooperate.
    Good luck to you
    Sil
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks, Sil. :-)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I could never sit seiza for extended periods, but a meditation bench works well for me. I got mine from Ananda Woodworking.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    rachMiel,

I used a meditation bench for many years and found that it was a boon.

You ask where to get one. May I suggest something else: the bench I used was one which I made as part of a retreat one year. Each part of it was shaped meditatively and with full attention. The making was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it. After all, monastics in many traditions are expected to make their own habits as a spiritual exercise. Making our own bench can be a blessing.

There's a simple plan here:
    http://www.wildmind.org/posture/seat-angle
  • edited August 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I could never sit seiza for extended periods, but a meditation bench works well for me. I got mine from Ananda Woodworking.
    Thanks fivebells. :-) When I did an Internet search for meditation benches a while back, this was one of the first sites that popped up. I thought the benches looked nicely built and quite attractive.
  • edited August 2010
    rachMiel,

I used a meditation bench for many years and found that it was a boon.

You ask where to get one. May I suggest something else: the bench I used was one which I made as part of a retreat one year. Each part of it was shaped meditatively and with full attention. The making was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it. After all, monastics in many traditions are expected to make their own habits as a spiritual exercise. Making our own bench can be a blessing.

There's a simple plan here:
    http://www.wildmind.org/posture/seat-angle
    Nice suggestion, thanks. :-) And funny you should bring this up ... because one of my fellow sangha members built his own bench and told me last week that he'd be happy to build me one!
  • edited August 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

Thank you! I didn't know about this site . Their benches look fantastic. Specially the folding leg one with the rounded legs!