Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Neighbor's noisy dogs...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited August 2010 in General Banter
I've only lived in my new house for about a month now, and it's been so hot most of that time that I've had the windows firmly shut with the air conditioning on full blast. But the past few days have been cloudy, cool, and pleasant, such that I've had the house opened up to let the breezes in.

It's now that I've noticed (and one couldn't help but notice) that the neighbor at the bottom of the hill, about five houses down and on the opposite side of the street, has several "dogs" (more like hamster sized rats) in his yard. Now, I'm a HUGE dog lover. Animals of all kinds really. I truly love dogs. I'm not much for little yappy dogs like Pekingese and Yorkies, but you guessed it, that's what this person has. He has a stockade fence, so I've never actually seen them, but you can hear them far and wide throughout the neighborhood. I've been completely at the opposite end of the street (a quarter mile further beyond my house) and heard them yapping. Pretty much if they're outside, they're yapping. No, yipping. Ear-piercing yipping. Siren goes by - yipping. Squirrel in the tree - yipping. Cloud drifts by - yipping. Water moves through the sewer pipe ten feet underground - more yipping. Did I mention that they yip CONSTANTLY?

So, what to do? I've never seen or met the owner(s), and wouldn't know them if I ran over them. I'm sort of in a quandry what to do, since the dogs are left out until quite late in the evening most nights. Last night it was after midnight when they finally stopped yipping (after having yipped ALL day long). I'd like to say something to them, or leave a note in their mailbox, or something, but I know if somebody did that to me it would probably make me defensive, plus it's not likely to change anything by itself. I hate the thought of calling the police about something so trivial, but once I start school in three weeks, I'm not going to to have the luxury of being able to lie in bed until after midnight listening to these little 'dogs' yipping their heads off and not getting to sleep.

Any thoughts, kind people?? Several nights I'll admit to having had evil thoughts of poisoned hotdogs over the fence!

Tks!

Mtns

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    First of all, gain a quiet census of other people's thoughts on this.
    Ask your neighbours, quietly, discreetly, what they feel about the situation.
    if you get a general opinion that the situation is intolerable, then go to your local authority and lodge a complaint about the noise.

If his dogs are creating a nuisance, then he is liable to control them.
    This is not something for you to handle or deal with.
    there are regulations in place which make certain matters socially unacceptable.

As for the Buddhist slant, I'm not even going to insult your intelligence by going there.
    You know what you must do in that quarter, hence, that's your packet to open.
  • edited August 2010
    Earplugs?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    bake a cake/make cookies and attach a very kind, well written, anonymous letter to it explaining the situation and leave this on their doorstep?

if nothing happens, then i'd probably follow fede's advice. but at least you can say you asked nicely.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    bake a cake/make cookies and attach a very kind, well written, anonymous letter to it explaining the situation and leave this on their doorstep?
    Haha my first thought if I found that at my doorstep would be "Poisoned?"
    Several nights I'll admit to having had evil thoughts of poisoned hotdogs over the fence!

Oh, and for good reason, too! LOL
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Haha my first thought if I found that at my doorstep would be "Poisoned?"

lmao. very true... perhaps a non edible gift then? like a potted plant or flowers or something?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Oh, yeah....

Either a Triffid or the plant from "A little shop of horrors".....

I'm kidding, of course....
    The plan itself is a good one.
    I would hope the reception was equally positive....:)
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Oh, yeah....

Either a Triffid or the plant from "A little shop of horrors".....

I'm kidding, of course....
    The plan itself is a good one.
    I would hope the reception was equally positive....:)

hahaha. i don't know if that would help, audrey II wasn't very quiet either. all that singing...

fyi, my neighbors also have horribly obnoxious dogs, big ones though. my other neighbors keep telling me that i just need to feed them treats and eventually they won't act like they want to kill me every time i walk past the gate. it's been almost a year and they still haven't gotten used to me, so perhaps i should really take them up on this... it won't save me from every other annoyance they bark at though. mostly i just think to myself, "i'm so happy i don't have a dog..." because i think it must take a lot of time and energy to yell at them as much as they do. which is, ironically, almost as annoying.

for a while there, i was waiting for the older one to die (not in a mean way, just looking forward to the quiet because he seemed pretty close) but then they got a puppy. hahaha. couldn't help but think that perhaps i should take note of this phenomena and stop wishing ill on other beings... :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    ask them nicely and tell them you are having problem sleeping because of the noise.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I feel your pain Mountains, our windows are closed at night and most of the day, yet the barking from the neighbor's dogs (there it is right NOW!), is heard as if they were MY dogs!

It interrupts my meditation, sometimes they bark at 2am and wake me up, it really does suck. And it's not a little dog either, it sounds huge actually, but I can't see it from here. There are other dogs around too, whining, crying, yapping, and sometimes we even get cats fighting at night, which is the worst sound you'll ever hear. (like pscyho babies crying and screaming).

I try to just pay no mind as much as I can, but it's not easy sometimes. There's not much we can do here about it. The police are never called for noise reasons where I'm from, at least not that I know of.

I would suggest to keep your windows closed as much as possible and if you are still bothered, maybe one of the suggestions the other posters have made here is in order. Not the poison tho, LoL cause they would just get new dogs. Good luck!
  • edited August 2010
    ^^ As soon as one dog starts barking, 10 others join it. I too do the same thing. I actually listen to some soft music to sleep.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It is said in Tibet dogs are believed to be reincarnations of bad monks and are therefore welcomed into monasteries where their barking must be regarded as we perhaps regard birdsong.....

How do they do that?
    edited August 2010
    I have unfortunately seen how monks treat stray dogs at Monasteries in Nepal or Tibet, (particularly when they have an Important or significantly 'elevated' lama scheduled to visit) and actually, it's not very nice at all.
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    Gandhi.

Hmmmm......:scratch: