Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Going it alone - Making it work as an unaffiliated buddhist"

edited August 2010 in Arts & Writings
Good read. Talks about different aspects of practicing Buddhism without affiliating yourself with a formal group.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/BDSpring10Unaffiliated.pdf

Comments

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Very interesting reading. Thanks!
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    This was a great read, thanks! I've been wondering if there are any informal groups that meet in my area but can't find anything on the web or in newspapers or anything. I live in a very rural area. I'm thinking about posting some flyers up at the local post offices with my phone number and trying to form my own informal group. Or maybe someone already in a group will see the flyer and give me a call to invite me to theirs.
  • edited August 2010
    Yep, that's helpful. Even the very first page has been enough for me to feel better :D
  • edited August 2010
    I'm very interested in this, can't see it now, but will download later to view. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Great Article! I do think this is what American Buddhism is becoming. More and more people are leaving the institutional forms of Religion, because they are not meeting the "spiritual" needs of the people. Most if not all religious institutions organize for the group not the individual. America is about individuals, like it or not. We disagree on almost every subject . :) The Asian traditions that have been imported into America are losing their appeal, especially for the 30's and under. Like the Buddha said..."Be a lamp unto yourself"
    My concern is survival. The economy in America is not so good. There is very high unemployment. Many younger people are moving back home to live with their parents. Typically in the past, the church helped support the poor and disenfranchised. What I am hoping is that these unaffiliated Buddhists begin to form "communes". When they come into some money, usually through inheritance, is find people of like mind, buy some land outside the city limits, and start living their dream of self-sufficiency. Grow their own food, including animals to butcher if the eat meat. Organized food production is basically unhealthy and especially the fast food industry. If they are able to form a small group make it a non-profit group legally. Not necessarily a 501 (c3) but a 501 (d). That way they do not have to report their activities to the government. They are basically free to live in a non-religious fashion. They would have to take a vow of poverty, and all money they made would be pooled into one fund that takes care of all the groups members. But they would be free to practice without all the traditional trappings, and live the spiritual life they want to.
    Until that time, it is more than OK to go it alone or with a few friends without having to be associated with an affiliated ,credential oriented, leader and /or priest lead organization!