Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the six realms

edited August 2010 in Philosophy
What does everyone know about the six realms, Sometimes i don't get the graphic representations.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    What does everyone know about the six realms, Sometimes i don't get the graphic representations.
    What exactly do you want to know?
    There are a lot of different interpretations and connected teachings.
  • edited August 2010
    well when describing the beings, they aren't talking about human forms obviously, but basically i would like to know some of the ways this is even possible. I've seen some truth of it in relation to bugs. like being splatted on a window. But its real difficult to see for me. What do you do to strengthen this practice?
  • edited August 2010
    well when describing the beings, they aren't talking about human forms obviously, but basically i would like to know some of the ways this is even possible. I've seen some truth of it in relation to bugs. like being splatted on a window. But its real difficult to see for me. What do you do to strengthen this practice?
    One of my teachers described this in a way that I found very easy to put into practice.
    Say describes the realms as the beings "karmic vision". The idea being that due to causes and conditions beings live lives of experience that are like those of the six realms. So rather than excluding the realms as physical places but without requiring blind faith in them, he made them relevant to practice and make a lot of sense too.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010

In emptiness anything is possible :)

Nagarjuna.

When you see appearances ultimatly as not having any inherant existance, But instead being Dependent Phenomena perceived by the mind, You realize that even things in a dream can appear and function even though they may defy what we know to be conventionally true, Its because the mind is the creator of all we perceive, Nothing is impossible when we consider the reality of a dream and the reality of the waking world is seperated by a state of mind namely gross and subtle.

:)
  • edited August 2010
    so how does the first existence start, i know that each reincarnation is propelled by karma and negative actions. But what was the first negative action if we started as buddha nature. This is wierd to me.
  • edited August 2010
    so how does the first existence start, i know that each reincarnation is propelled by karma and negative actions. But what was the first negative action if we started as buddha nature. This is wierd to me.
    Its weird to everybody.
    I dont think there is a definitive answer.
    Try not to confuse Buddhanature with some kind of permanent identity.
    Buddhanature is our true nature that is beyond extremes etc.
    Our true nature is obscured by ignorance. Our job as practitioners is to fully recognize our nature, not define a first cause of our obscurations.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010

No friend this is confusion. Buddha looked and he saw with his omnisicent wisdom that there was no begining to our birthing in samsara, But that each succesion is as you say propelled to the forces of action and reaction. We all have Buddha nature, It become very confusing when you look for a definitive begining as Buddha said there is none, But it is better to accept that like a circle one cannot draw a point of begning or natural end to it. Buddha nature is that which underlies all sentient beings it is not inherant ( Self existant ) But exists in a conventional understanding because of our apparent consciousness and the Dependent relationship upon such, Without such a Dependence relationship of all the factors of consiousness a perfection without delusion could not be present. Do not think of Buddha nature as something that is Self-existant but rather as a result of its Dependence....As it is said Samsara and Nivarna are inseperably one. :o
  • edited August 2010
    I just picked up a commentary ornament of stainless light on the Kalachakra and im amazed this is a great work I love the information abou the winds and channels. Having formerly studied the occult and rosicruican schools with diligence and fervor. Im really coming to hear the similarities between kalachakra and say that of golden dawn or rosicrucian teachings. I am amazed.

However where the difficulties of rosicrucian and golden dawn go to prove a monotheism the Kalachakra on the other hand doesn't partake in this idea at all .This is brilliant and truely inspiring it brings the nature that Emmerson is talking about into a new perspective. Truly awesome.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010

My teacher gently told me that attempting to examine "The First Cause" was an imponderable, we cannot see it, and telling stories about it would not be helpful in examining the truth that is in front of us.

It is akin to saying "Oh yeah, well which came first, the chicken or the egg", as if the origin will help prove that the chicken or the egg exist today. Looking backward for proof actually undermines the strength of our focus in the present, which is how we quell the disturbance that causes our need for proof.

Better to let go and sweep the floor around us.
  • edited August 2010
    im starting to find the answers in Kalachakra, it is actually putting alot of causes together that are so intricate there isn't a first cause because the first cause is causeless. Kinda like cup of tea is dependent on tea cup
  • edited August 2010
    i learned this by mindfully dipping my teabag into my cup. Sogyal Rinpoche says "water if you don't stir it becomes clear, mind unaltered becomes peaceful and calm"