Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am getting a dog

edited August 2010 in General Banter
:)

I don't know when or how,but I have been thinking about a dog for a long time and now I decided we can offer a forever home for one.

can't wait to see who comes along to stay with us :)

there,I feel better for sharing that :P

Comments

• edited August 2010
    papaya wrote: »

I don't know when or how,but I have been thinking about a dog for a long time and now I decided we can offer a forever home for one.

can't wait to see who comes along to stay with us :)

there,I feel better for sharing that :P
    Congratulations.
    A lot of the coolest people I meet are dogs.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Would you consider giving it a Dharma name?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Please be careful about your choice.

I'm a Dog Behaviourist.

If you need any help in any direction, I'd be happy to offer input, although my word - I MUST emphasise - is NOT sacrosanct.

I know a little about the critters, let me put it that way.....:)
  • edited August 2010
    hi :)

ooh a dharma name,I sure would consider it.
    thanks for the congrats.
    great to know there's support here with my new companion.thanks :)

do any of you have a dog?

The part I am looking forward to the most are our long walks together.
    I know some outstanding places here.

and the hugs and cuddles.

I have a cat and 2 children too.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    papaya wrote: »
    hi :)

ooh a dharma name,I sure would consider it.
    thanks for the congrats.
    great to know there's support here with my new companion.thanks :)

I have a friend who's named her dog Karma.... it follows her everywhere!
    do any of you have a dog?
    Paradoxically, even as a Dog behaviourist - no. I have owned several dogs, but right now, I work full-time and it wouldn't be fair. I also live in rented accommodation, and the Landlord isn't for it.....
    The part I am looking forward to the most are our long walks together.
    I know some outstanding places here.
    Dogs don't always need 'long walks'. In fact, although they enjoy it, to begin with (depending on the size of the dog) for the first year, it's best to not walk them too far.
    Dogs thrive better on training, and having an activity that keeps them interested , busy and challenged.
    and the hugs and cuddles.

Not always a good idea either.
    If you don't kick them off, that is.
    If your dog demands attention, then he demands leadership and dominance.
    if however, you always initiate affection of this kind, and your dog follows, you'll have the most wonderful, balanced relationship.
    There's never anything wrong in showing your dog affection.
    But it's the timing and initiation. :)
    I have a cat and 2 children too.
    Are you giving us these in order of priority? :lol::lol:
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    A friend has two dogs - Bodhi and Karma. I have another friend whose dog's name is Deeyogee (d-o-g).

It sounds like you've got the right plan - please don't go to any kind of "breeder" - there are millions of unwanted, unloved dogs that need good homes. All of mine have come from the shelter, and they're by far the best dogs. A mixed breed has hybrid vigor, and they're almost always healthier and have better dispositions than any "pure bred" (which is a polite way of saying inbred).

Mtns
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, get a dog from a shelter :D May we suggest names?
    How about... Dolly, Brolly, Collie, Folly, Golly, Holly, Jolly, Molly, Polly, Trolly, Volley... My dog's called Molly :D I'd love a cat too, but I'm allergic. I'd call a cat Lucifer or Carol LOL. Have you named your children yet? :p

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Yay! Congratulations!

On a slightly related note - have you heard about the story wherein a temple in Thailand used to have a frequent dog visitor, whom always insisted on sitting on a meditation cushion during the temple's meditation periods? I've always been amazed at how human-like dog personalities can be (or how dog-like humans can be...)
    edited August 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    Yay! Congratulations!
    ...always insisted on sitting on a meditation cushion during the temple's meditation periods?

Given the opportunity, both my dogs and my cat will sit or sleep on my meditation cushion. I have to put it away when I'm not using it lest it be covered with hair! :)

Mtns
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2010
    My wife (the one who I swear is more Buddhist than I) called me in tears yesterday. She saw a dog that was severely malnourished. It was the worst case of maltreatment she had ever seen. She felt the dog was literally on 'death's door'. She was so distraught that she went up to the owners house and asked if she could have the dog. The owner said yes, and she took the dog... straight to the vet. The vet did a quick check, and apart from the severe malnutrition and dehydration she seemed fine. The vet will keep her till Monday, then she will go to the SPCA for a couple of weeks to recooperate. She is a Pit Bull, but the vet says she's a very sweet dog, under 5 years old. After a stint at the SPCA, we will know her temperament, and if it turns out she's as sweet as she appears, then she'll come to live with us, along with the four cats, one dog, and three grandchildren we currently care for most days.
    edited August 2010
    Good on yah! :)

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited August 2010
    My dog as been my greatest teacher. :D I'm sure yours will be too.
    edited August 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    she'll come to live with us, along with the four cats, one dog, and three grandchildren we currently care for most days.

Bless you and your wife Les! :)

Mtns
    edited August 2010
    When I was little my dog taught me to love animals and not be frightened of the monsters :D

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I like Dogs :) congratulations you will have a wonderful friend. What breed are you getting ? :)
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    congratulations. you should care about it properly too. having a pet is a responsibility.
  • edited August 2010
    Congratulations. And it's key that you pick the right kind of dog for your environment and your lifestyle.

I have a wonderful Rat Terrier that we got as a puppy at 3 months almost 10 years ago... he is a wonderful guy and is literally like my shadow. he loves me dearly and if I'm around is always by my side.

I'm enjoying every second of his company and although he is getting on in age he is still as bright and as active as a puppy... I will miss him dearly when he eventually passes but for now I simply love being with him as much as I can.

It's funny even though I'm very happily married and all that, Skip and I share a very special and unique bond...
    edited August 2010
    When's You and Skip's anniversary :p

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    When's You and Skip's anniversary :p

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean

We got him from the shelter on December 12th 2001 and he was about 3 months old. ;)

We take 1/2 hour walks every morning after my 4 mile run. Once in a while I take him for a run, and he constantly loves to play fetch any time of the day or night!
    edited August 2010
    LOL, my dog like the getting part of fetch but she doesn't like the giving back :D

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    What breed are you getting?

Canis lupus familiaris. That's what all dogs are, regardless of what they look like. Anybody that tries to sell you a "pure bred" dog (or anything else) is just selling you an animal that's been inbred for many generations to satisfy the ego of whatever (in)breeder happened to be doing the inbreeding. And if you remember your 8th grade biology, you'll remember that generally speaking, inbreeding begets all kinds of problems, which is why it's illegal and/or immoral almost anywhere on earth for humans to do it. So why is it not only allowed, but encouraged in animals? Just to satisfy human ego: "Look at me! I made that!". Little thought is given to the consequences for the animal. Shorter life span, many more health issues, behavioral issues, neuroses, etc - in short, more suffering. All to assuage human egos.

Can you tell I'm a fan of mutts? I myself am a mutt (as are all of you), so why shouldn't our animals be as well? :)

Mtns

PS: Lots of people in veterinary medicine where I used to work don't like my views...
    edited August 2010
    I'm by no means pedigree! My mum's scottish, my dad's english, my mum's great grandfather was Irish and my father's ancestors were Dutch :D

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    my cousin has a cute little pug... I love to play with him.
    edited August 2010
    Ooh, pugs! I want to hold one for some reason! My German cousins had two pugs (and a black Labrador). One pug's black and one's blonde :D
  • edited August 2010
    LOL, my dog like the getting part of fetch but she doesn't like the giving back :D

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean

I don't think any dog like to give back the thing it has fetched but it does bring in the newspaper without messing with it.
  • edited August 2010
    Ooh, pugs! I want to hold one for some reason! My German cousins had two pugs (and a black Labrador). One pug's black and one's blonde :D

the one my cousin has looks like the one form HUTCH ad.
    edited August 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    I don't think any dog like to give back the thing it has fetched but it does bring in the newspaper without messing with it.

If mine was big enough no doubt she'd bring the paper boy in, hanging from her jaws. But unfortunately for her she barely reaches my knee cap on all fours :D
    edited August 2010
    I posted a week or so back about my wife rescuing a starving dog. The dog is at the SPCA presently, and they are going to prosecute the owner. They are nursing the dog back to health, and when she's ready we will ask to have her. Here is a picture of the dog that appeared in one of the local papers...

47667b.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I'm happy to hear the irresponsible owner is being prosecuted. I hope the judges in Bermuda will be harder on him/her than they usually are in the US.

The good news is, it looks like she should make a full recovery with a little TLC, which it sounds like you're ready to give her. I've seen dogs who looked much worse bounce right back. Do send us some more photos once you get her nursed back to full vigor. She looks really cute.

Mtns
  • edited August 2010
    If mine was big enough no doubt she'd bring the paper boy in, hanging from her jaws. But unfortunately for her she barely reaches my knee cap on all fours :D

ah. sweet.
  • edited August 2010
    I posted a week or so back about my wife rescuing a starving dog. The dog is at the SPCA presently, and they are going to prosecute the owner. They are nursing the dog back to health, and when she's ready we will ask to have her. Here is a picture of the dog that appeared in one of the local papers...

47667b.jpg

omg. it is just bones. The poor thing would have suffered a lot. :(
  • edited August 2010

47667b.jpg

by the way you are doing a really great thing taking her in.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, poor dog :-/ So happy she's got a loving home now though :)
  • edited August 2010
    By the way has the owner been prosecuted yet. I want to hear they slapped a huge fine on him.
    edited August 2010
    I posted a week or so back about my wife rescuing a starving dog. The dog is at the SPCA presently, and they are going to prosecute the owner. They are nursing the dog back to health, and when she's ready we will ask to have her.

When you get the dog, practice "The Essential Rule of Animal Buddhism."

Get her to live in your present with you, NOW. Don't be tempted to live with her in her past, Then.
    That WAS then.
    This IS now.
    Keep it current.
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »

Get her to live in your present with you, NOW. Don't be tempted to live with her in her past, Then.
    That WAS then.
    This IS now.
    Keep it current.
    Good advise :)
    edited August 2010
    I will keep you all posted as things develop. Thanks Fede for your sage advice as usual.
  • edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »

That WAS then.
    This IS now.
    Keep it current.

good advice.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    So what did you end up naming your dog papaya?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Congrats!
    I have one... A her.. Her name is Rain!:)
    A German Shepard an she is amazing!:)
    Love to you!:)
  • edited August 2010
    LeonBasin wrote: »
    Congrats!
    I have one... A her.. Her name is Rain!:)
    A German Shepard an she is amazing!:)
    Love to you!:)

unusual name but nice.
    edited August 2010
    Indeed