Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Temple Etiquette

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi all,

Just finished a move back to the west coast to care for my sick mother, and while settling in I found a HUGE buddhist temple nearby. It's called the Hsi Lai Temple, and it's in Hacienda Heights, CA. It is a Chan Buddhism temple.

I have always practiced solo, and have never set foot in a Buddhist temple. I felt like an outsider, being ignorant to the temple etiquette. Is there a website I can go to that shows or explains things?

I picked up the greeting of hands together as if in prayer, and holding them to your face with a head bow, as a greeting...but other things I'm concerned about:

1. How to properly present insense to altars. They had a big pot outside the main hall at the top of the steps, that people were putting incense in, as well as in the main temple. There were very few peole around so I didn't witness anyone actually doing it.

2. In the entrance hall there were statues lined up where you can provide offerings if you wanted to. What is the etiquette and procedure for presenting offerings, if you so wanted to do?

3. The meditation hall was closed when I went, so I didn't get to see it...but what is the etiquette in there? do you have to bring your own cushions? do you bow when you enter? etc. etc,

I know this stuff are surface issues, but I know still important, and I don't want to offend anybody due to ignorance. I'm going to start Dharma classes there this sunday, and will take advantage of the meditation hall as well.

If everything works out here, I am thinking of taking refuge here. I'm sure I'll learn some etiquette in the classes, but I don't want to keep being ignorant until that happens.

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'd think simply asking somebody at the temple is your best and safest bet. There's nothing wrong with ignorance, especially if you go out of your way to rectify it by asking. I'm sure they'll be happy to enlighten you (so to speak).

:)

Mtns
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I myself have never been inside a temple to take part in practice. The whole situation kind of makes me a little anxious to be honest, which is probably very silly indeed. From what I understand though is whatever you give to a monk, it will be gratified and welcomed with open arms. It is more to do with the thought, the intention of giving that is important and wanting nothing in return.
    I am sorry I cannot answer your questions, I myself should take a leap and attend a meditation sitting here in thailand maybe..
    I wish your mother all the best by the way, I am sure she appreciates what you are doing as it is very kind :)

Tom
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Ren79 wrote: »
    I have always practiced solo, and have never set foot in a Buddhist temple. I felt like an outsider, being ignorant to the temple etiquette. Is there a website I can go to that shows or explains things?

Here's a link with some general guidelines (but please note they may vary from place to place) - Buddhishm: A Guide to Temple Etiquette.

I was going to write out an extensive explanation on offerings, but I'm not sure of your experience. For now, the easiest way to present offerings is to bow, light the incense or present an offering bowl, and imagine that by doing so you are nurturing the positive aspects these images represent - the qualities of the enlightened mind.

I could go into much greater detail but perhaps it'd be better that you learn from an experienced practitioner at your chosen temple.
    I know this stuff are surface issues, but I know still important, and I don't want to offend anybody due to ignorance. I'm going to start Dharma classes there this sunday, and will take advantage of the meditation hall as well.

Since you're going for a class anyway, I would use that opportunity to ask the questions you presented here. Every temple has different rules of etiquette, so don't be afraid to ask! They will be glad that you are being respectful by asking questions.
    If everything works out here, I am thinking of taking refuge here.

Just so you know, taking refuge can be done anywhere, at any time. It doesn't have to be done at any particular location. I think you're referring to a formal ceremony of taking refuge, which may have different requirements or prerequisites depending on the temple.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    As I was looking for a passage to quote on another topic, I found a brief description of the offering practice that may help you. It's from Ven. Thubten Chodron's webpage:
    Making Offerings on the Altar

Think, "I am going to make these offerings in order to achieve enightenment [sic] for the benefit of all suffering mother sentient beings who have been kind to me since beginningless rebirths." Immediately consecrate whatever you offer by saying, "OM AH HUM" three times.

When you look at the pictures and statues of the Buddhas and holy beings on your altar, think that they are all the gurus and the Buddhas, Dharma and Sangha of the ten directions. Offer to them with this recognition, and imagine that they generate great bliss by receiving your offerings. Think that you are offering to the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, arhats and sanghas of the ten directions. Offer to the statues of the Buddhas and deities (which represent the Buddha's holy body), to all the scriptures (which represent the Buddha's holy speech), and to all the stupas (which represent the Buddha's holy mind) that exist in all ten directions. This includes making offerings to all holy objects in Tibet, in India and in each person's home where there is a holy object. This is the most skilful
    [sic] way to accumulate merit. In this way, you make offerings to each and every holy object without needing to take even one step or spend even one dollar to travel to those places. By thinking that all the statues, Buddhas, bodhisattvas and so forth are manifestations of the guru, you accumulate the highest merit.

After offering, think, "Whatever happiness and virtue I have accumulated, may all sentient beings receive it, and whatever suffering sentient beings have, may it ripen upon me." Then dedicate the positive potential.
    I still maintain that it would be best to ask someone who works or volunteers for the temple to explain the best way to make offerings.
  • edited August 2010
    At Hsi Lai in Hacienda Heights, you can be pretty much guaranteed that they'll be real nice to you and show you everything you need to know. That particular type of Zen (aren't they Pure Land too?) folks seem to be really nice.

I have been scoping out Guang Ming in Orlando, because I might move there, and it looks like any upper-middle-class Episcopalian parish except it's Buddhist and most everybody is Chinese. But they have youth groups, summer camps, flamenco lessons (seriously!), and of course Tai Chi and so forth. I seem to remember that Hsi Lai is the same group.

I just wouldn't anticipate a problem.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks all for the input.

Hsi Lai is HEAVILY Chinese..which is part of the reason I felt out of place. Not just because I wasn't Chinese, and didn't feel welcome, but it honestly felt like the language differences were a barrier. The classes I am attending are specially for English only people, but a large part of their programs are Chinese-centric, since part of their mission is to preserve and build chinese culture.

Information asked me to talk to Venerable about details of joining...I go to the Venerable, and she speaks not a word of English, so I ended up going back to Information for some flyers, where I finally got the forms for registration for Beginner Meditation for my wife, and Dharma classes for me.

I meant taking refuge, as far as the formal ceremony.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I just had a similar experience in Florida. I visited a Thai Buddhist Temple. The monk spoke very little English and I speak no Thai, so communication was very difficult. I felt very awkward, and couldn't wait to get out of there. I know, a terrible thing to say. I think I'll pass on trying that again, and take Palzang up on his offer to visit his Temple when next I'm in the Maryland area.
  • edited August 2010
    ya, that's how it felt. I will at least give the darma classes a chance before I decide on staying or looking elsewhere
  • edited August 2010
    At Hsi Lai in Hacienda Heights, you can be pretty much guaranteed that they'll be real nice to you and show you everything you need to know. That particular type of Zen (aren't they Pure Land too?) folks seem to be really nice.

I have been scoping out Guang Ming in Orlando, because I might move there, and it looks like any upper-middle-class Episcopalian parish except it's Buddhist and most everybody is Chinese. But they have youth groups, summer camps, flamenco lessons (seriously!), and of course Tai Chi and so forth. I seem to remember that Hsi Lai is the same group.

I just wouldn't anticipate a problem.

Funny, I am debating tonight if I should go to the Guang Ming temple tomorrow since its only about 35 minutes away give or take 10 minutes.