Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Lost Years Of Jesus By Elizabeth Prophet

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited August 2010 in Arts & Writings
Hi friends. A few days ago I was lucky enough to buy this interesting book and then to almost finish it. The book is about 4 eye witness accounts which happened I think around between 130-90 years or so ago of Tibetan manuscripts which were originally written in Pali and then translated to Tibetan. In the book contains the only English translation of the text, which is incomplete.

The manuscripts aparently contain the story of Jesus which is in the Bible (slightly different), but his name was Issa. The sylablles of the name Issa seem to be in the name Jesus I noticed.

It tells of what Issa did when he was 14 to when he was 29, the time that is not in the bible. The gist of it is he went east, India, at least that's the only country I can remember right now. Here are some quotes from the English translation of the text Mr. Notovich published a long time ago which seems to read alot like the Bible if you've ever read it:

(After rebelling against the Brahmins by teaching to the Sudras (lower castes) and being condemned to death by them

CHAPTER VI

2. But Issa, warned of his danger by the Sudras, left the neighborhood of Juggernaut by night, reached the mountain, and established himself in the country of Gautamides, the birth-please of the great Buddha Sakyamuni, in the midst of a people worshipping the one and sublime Brahma.

3. After having perfected himself in the Pali language, the just Issa applied himself to the study of the sacred writings of the Sutras.

4. Six years after, Issa, whom the Buddha elected to spread his holy word, had become a perfect expositor of the sacred writings.

Mr. Notovich had some interesting conversations with Lamas that are recorded in the book.

One Lama said that the Buddha was the incarnation of Brahma, another Lama said Jesus was the incarnation of the Spirit of the Buddha.

There are other curious things one Lama says about Sakyamuni and God:

"For this reason he openly separated himself from the Brahmans and their doctrine of polytheism, preaching the purity and immortality of the Creator and doing his utmost to put down the images made, it was supposed, in His likeness."

and this one is curious in particular:

"Among these holy prophets, particular veneration is bestowed on the Buddha Sakyamuni, who lived three thousand years ago and who by his teachings brought the whole of China into the way of the one true and indivisible God, and also on the Buddha Gautama, who lived two thousand five hundred years ago and who converted nearly half the Hindus to the same belief"

Mabye some of you can do some thinking for me and mabye try to explain this belief!

Here's a direct question which I want to ask which may make me seem like a total ignoramos. Was there a Sakyamuni Buddha 3000 years ago and then a Siddhartha Gautama Buddha 2500 years ago? One of the Lamas says this. I those were all names given to the same person. Anyways.

One Lama said that the entirety of the manuscripts are in Lhasa where the Dalai Lama has them. I've read that HH DL considers him a Buddha.

Well well if there's any answers or comments you can add that'd be great.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Well, as long as the author (Elizabeth 'Prophet'...?:rolleyes:) can provide verifiable references, and links to organisations, authorities and experts who are able to substantiate these claims, that's fine.
    Otherwise, we're looking at total speculation and fiction here.
    Nice little story.....It's been voiced before, doubtless it will be proposed again....
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Good post. It's not like it's an important story to spirituality I suppose, won't get you anywhere.

Yup, all there is is 4 eye witnesses for the manuscript, and the legends which seem to be through out Asia. I had a high Lama in my home I wish I could have asked him about it.

Do you know about the idea of Sakyamuni Buddha and Gautama Buddha? Just curious. Not important either I suppose.
    edited August 2010
    I think technically speaking though it doesn't mean we're dealing with speculation or fiction, it just means we shouldn't believe it for no reason.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Good post. It's not like it's an important story to spirituality I suppose, won't get you anywhere.

Yup, all there is is 4 eye witnesses for the manuscript, and the legends which seem to be through out Asia. I had a high Lama in my home I wish I could have asked him about it.

Do you know about the idea of Sakyamuni Buddha and Gautama Buddha? Just curious. Not important either I suppose.

They are the same person Shanyin...:)
    Siddartha Gautama is the name of the person who became the Buddha which we all know today, He is also known as Shakyamuni Buddha.
    Shakya ( Being the clan kingdom he was from ) Muni ( Means able bodied one )

:)
    edited August 2010
    OK... it's just weird how the Lama said Sakyamuni was 3000 years ago and Gautama was 2500 years ago.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Well then he was wrong.
    Or you misunderstood....
    Which is fine, not a criticism....but the two are one and the same, so it's just an error....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    hm, sounds like a very interesting book. it's quite easy to see the similarities between buddha and jesus, but it's also quite easy to see the differences.
    shanyin wrote: »
    "Among these holy prophets, particular veneration is bestowed on the Buddha Sakyamuni, who lived three thousand years ago and who by his teachings brought the whole of China into the way of the one true and indivisible God, and also on the Buddha Gautama, who lived two thousand five hundred years ago and who converted nearly half the Hindus to the same belief"

just curious about this quote... sounds more like christianity than buddhism since buddhism isn't typically occupied with the concept of god. unless it is possibly the bias of the writer that the buddhist way is in accordance with the way of god.

my question has always been; if jesus is either a student of or a incarnation of buddha, then why does he teach so much reliance upon god and the kingdom of heaven for salvation?

and on a completely different topic altogether, this book supposedly talks about jesus in his earlier years... there is another book that talks about this time as well called The Urantia Book. my understanding is that this book was supposedly written by a medium receiving information from a heavenly being of some sort and talks about a great range of topics from the first human after evolution and a bunch of other interesting topics including buddha. i don't know what The Urantia Book says about jesus during this time, but it would be very interesting if it said the same thing. :eekblue: