Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Algonquin

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited August 2010 in General Banter
No good reason to post this. Just delighted at taking the canoe into Algonquin for a week after a crazy, busy, summer. Among these rivers and lakes are the ruins of a 19th century town ran by the logging baron John Booth. My brother-inlaw and I aim to find it. yee haw!

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for the photo, Richard. It brought back wonderful (if tear-jerking) memories of weeks spent in Canada with my late wife's cousins. Our trip to Algonquin and our weeks in Minden are among my treasures.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Gorgeous, Richard!
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    How beautiful nature is! Thanks for the great picture and I hope you find what you are looking for. Just make sure not to get lost in the vastness of that wilderness!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Found the overgrown remains, and also found extensive logging still going on in this vast provincial park. According to the Ministry of Natural Resources over 60% of this land area is open to managed "harvesting". There is an ongoing battle to have more protected as a "True Wilderness". We encountered a logging truck deep in the interior with what looked like old growth timber. There is very little old growth left in this region and the mature second growth is not protected.