Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and pets...

13»

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Your opinion. I can find 20 other D.V.M. veterinarians that disagree.

Yes, you can find literature that says dogs can be vegetarians. I do not disagree with that. But I go back to mother nature. In nature dogs are ominvores. Bears are also omnivores. But put a plate of salad and a plate of meat down, and which do you think both of those species will go for? Hint: it isn't the salad.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over this with you. I'm sure some veterinarian somewhere would recommend turning your dog into a vegetarian. But I've been a licensed professional in the veterinary medicine field, and I can tell you that a) there are a lot of REALLY lousy veterinarians out there, and b) you're going to be VERY hard pressed to find a competent veterinarian anywhere on earth who will tell you it's a good idea to make a dog a vegetarian. If you can find 20 of them, I'd be happy to know who they are (note I said "competent" veterinarians).

What you do with your dog is entirely your business, since dogs are property, not legally independent individuals. But you're not doing him any favors by trying to turn him exclusively into something that he's not by nature. Believe that or not, argue until you're blue in the face, but it's a fact. The only valid reason to deprive a dog of meat is because he's allergic to it or it otherwise causes him physical harm. Your ego should have nothing to do with it.

Mtns
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My dog likes vegetables. It is funny watching him work on a celery stick. But it is meat protein that he really likes. I don't think it is fair to the animal to experiment with their diet and hope it works out.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Yes, you can find literature that says dogs can be vegetarians. I do not disagree with that. But I go back to mother nature. In nature dogs are ominvores. Bears are also omnivores. But put a plate of salad and a plate of meat down, and which do you think both of those species will go for? Hint: it isn't the salad.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over this with you. I'm sure some veterinarian somewhere would recommend turning your dog into a vegetarian. But I've been a licensed professional in the veterinary medicine field, and I can tell you that a) there are a lot of REALLY lousy veterinarians out there, and b) you're going to be VERY hard pressed to find a competent veterinarian anywhere on earth who will tell you it's a good idea to make a dog a vegetarian. If you can find 20 of them, I'd be happy to know who they are (note I said "competent" veterinarians).

What you do with your dog is entirely your business, since dogs are property, not legally independent individuals. But you're not doing him any favors by trying to turn him exclusively into something that he's not by nature. Believe that or not, argue until you're blue in the face, but it's a fact. The only valid reason to deprive a dog of meat is because he's allergic to it or it otherwise causes him physical harm. Your ego should have nothing to do with it.

Mtns

So we agree to disagree. That is OK. :) I don't have a dog though. Just 2 cats and I feed them regular cat food. But it's not about ego. It's about the contents of commercial dog food and the way it is produced.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Good quality dog food usually has those vegetables, grains and the extras besides meat that dogs can eat in it.
  • edited September 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    :thumbsup: But then how do we feed them vegetables CORRECTLY in captivity?

As I said in my original post-
    Mix pulped vegies 50/50 with some mince meat. Dogs love it!
    I personally don't trust any commercial product labelled as "dog food".

What distinguishes "dog" food from "human food?"
    A matter of quality!!
    I don't feed my dogs anything (quality wise) that I wouldn't eat myself.

Google "Give your dog a bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst.

An intelligent discussion on dog nutrition and one of the best books on the subject that I've ever read.

Do the best for your beautiful dog - I think that's Zen and the art of feeding dogs. :D
  • edited September 2010
    By the Way -

NEVER,EVER, EVER
    Feed your dog onions in any shape or form!!!
    It causes explosive diarrhoea at best and anaemia at worst.

Google - feeding your dog onions for more information!

Please look after your dogs intelligently! :)

We need them as much as they need us!:):)
    edited September 2010
    Really? No onions? That could explain why my dog sometimes has a sloppy poo (I feed her some of my quorn which contains onion). And my dog, aswell as her all-in-one biscuits has mackerel in tomato juice (for her joints, as she's ten in twelve days) and if she's at my mum's boyfriends she has fresh beef from the butchers and finest dog food, and if she's at my other nan's she gets beef.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Avocado, grapes and dark chocolate are also very tasty things to humans yet like poison to dogs. So what is good to us is not always to them. It's good to be educated on what animals can eat before you just try to become an amateur pet chef and feed them what you think is good lol.
    edited September 2010
    agreed :D:D
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    NEVER,EVER, EVER
    Feed your dog onions in any shape or form!!!
    Avocado, grapes and dark chocolate are also very tasty things to humans yet like poison to dogs.

Just wanted to throw garlic in there as well, since it's common in human cooking. I heard it wasn't as bad as onions but they work in a similar way (can damage red blood cells and cause anemia).
    edited September 2010
    Garlic is a type of onion! Gosh, Mugzy, didn't you know that :p
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    and raisins are a no, no.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    "The domestic dog and the wolf are one and the same. Dogs are not
    omnivores, as some have claimed. Dogs are carnivores, exactly like
    wild wolves. Geneticist Dr. Robert K. Wayne at UCLA has conclusively
    proven that the domestic dog is a subspecies of the wolf. Subsequent studies
    have verified this conclusion.

Next, it must be understood what wolves actually eat in the wild,
    especially when they are not pressed by loss of habitat and human
    intervention. Contrary to some claims, wolves do not eat the stomach
    contents of their prey nor do wolves consume much vegetable matter.
    The preferred food of the wild wolf is the meat, bones, and organs of large
    hooved Mammals. In times of scarcity, desperate wolves will try to eat a variety of
    food items, just as would any starving creature, but they strongly prefer to eat
    meat, organ, and bone. Dr. L. David Mech has been studying
    wolves for decades, and has published many books and articles on
    wolves and their diets."

Dr. Wayne's website:
    http://www.eeb.ucla.edu/indivfaculty.php?FacultyKey=501

Dr. Mech's website:
    http://www.davemech.org/biography.html
    edited September 2010
    Hmm... I disagree
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    So we agree to disagree. That is OK. :) I don't have a dog though. Just 2 cats and I feed them regular cat food. But it's not about ego. It's about the contents of commercial dog food and the way it is produced.

so don't buy commercial food then?

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/all_natural_pet_food.htm

from this link, for example, the Onesta brand says:

"Onesta Organics is the first US pet food manufacturer that is both certified organic and Green America-approved. Our healthy raw dehydrated pet food products for cats, dogs and pocket pets are certified organic (3rd party verified), human-grade, whole food-based and hypoallergenic. We only use meats from animals that are sustainably raised in local pastures. Since our pet foods are certified organic, they are verifiably free of GMOs, synthetic chemicals or other unhealthy ingredients. Keep your pet happy & healthy with foods that are made with care and your pet’s best interest in mind!"
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    personally, my dog gets organic raw chicken and then organ meats, and there is a website that tells you how to do it all.