Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Try this at your local bookstore

edited August 2010 in Meditation
0. Before walking into the store, take a few deep breaths, quiet your mind and set yourself up for mindfulness.
1. Walk into the store and go to the section that you like/dislike the most - something that will trigger strong reactions.
2. Slowly read book titles and names of authors.
3. Mindfully observe the thoughts that pop into your mind. Don't resist any of them.
4. If you catch yourself getting carried away with some book, move on to the next one.

(Alternatively, do this in the magazine section. Mindfully watch your mind go nuts over pretty ladies or handsome men or fashion magazines or sports cars or golf.)

But don't get carried away - we don't want attachments, we want mindfulness.

A few sessions of this, and sitting on the cushion at home won't feel as "monkey mind" anymore ;)

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    For some, methinks, the cake shop or shoe shop would serve as well.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    That's a really good idea, and especially helpful for when I'm bored while my boyfriend looks at his mangas for three dang hours lol.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    That's a really good idea, and especially helpful for when I'm bored while my boyfriend looks at his mangas for three dang hours lol.

A boy can go blind, looking at his mangas for too long.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010

A boy can go blind, looking at his mangas for too long.

Or grow inky palms.
  • edited August 2010
    Try it at an "adult" bookstore.
    edited August 2010

Wowww, THAT would be a challenge! :lol:
  • edited August 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Wowww, THAT would be a challenge! :lol:

Yup.
  • edited August 2010

And if you do decide to try it, here is a Chinese Zen tale for you to ponder ;)

"An old woman had supported a monk for twenty years, letting him live in a hut on her land. After all this time she figured the monk, now a man in the prime of life, must have attained some degree of enlightenment. So she decided to test him.
    Rather than taking his daily meal to him herself, she asked a beautiful young girl to deliver it. She instructed the girl to embrace the monk warmly - and then to report back to her how he responded. When the girl returned, she said that the monk had simply stood stock-still, as if frozen. The old woman then headed for the monk's hut. What was it like, she asked him, when he felt the girl's warm body against his? With some bitterness he answered, "Like a withering tree on a rock in winter, utterly without warmth." Furious, the old woman threw him out and burned down his hut, exclaiming, "How could I have wasted all these years on such a fraud."
    (from "Radical Acceptance" by Tara Bach)
  • edited August 2010
    And if you do decide to try it, here is a Chinese Zen tale for you to ponder ;)

I already have tried it.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Sounds interesting. I might actually try this sometime. So I can't pick up any of the books, even if I find them interesting huh? That would be the hardest part for me.
  • edited August 2010
    Sounds interesting. I might actually try this sometime. So I can't pick up any of the books, even if I find them interesting huh? That would be the hardest part for me.

Sure why not. The only rule is: keep mindfulness going. If trying to read the book breaks your mindfulness, put it away..
  • edited August 2010
    Mmmm... cake....

What? :P
    edited August 2010
    I attempted this at the library this weekend and didn't do so well, but I did finally find some fiction I think I can get into! Going to try again everytime I visit, lol.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it next time I'm in a book store.