Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discovering Buddhism Course at FPMT??

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Does anyone have any experience with this course? I am currently working through the free Meditation module and like it so far, although the boards are pretty quiet. Do you think it is worth the money? Each module is $45 or free if you join at the $30-99/month membership level. Each module is supposed to take approximately 2 months to complete.
I feel drawn to the Tibetan traditions of Buddhism but the closest center as 1 1/2 hours away and I have not been able to attend because of my night shift schedule. There is a Zen group here but I do not think that is the direction I want to go. I am still very new on this path and am reading a lot and starting meditations.
Thank you for any advice/insight/information you have.:D

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I haven't done any online modules, but I have tried to teach myself meditation through books (before I found some fellow practitioners). I found learning face-to-face with a more advanced person or in a small group much more beneficial.

Having a teacher and a group of people for support is important - especially when you start delving deeper into the murky depths of the mind :D The Tibetan temple may have courses or small groups on the weekend you might be able to attend.

I don't know about any others' experience, but the thought of paying for online modules with a quiet user-base makes me uneasy :S
  • edited August 2010
    The forum being quiet is a drawback, at least for this course. However I did post and got a quick reply. A lot of my difficulty, besides travel time and costs, is my work schedule. I currently work 6p-6a or 7p-7a depending on whether I am the house supervisor or not. (I'm a RN at a local Long term acute care hospital). I am still on every other weekend and have my kids the other weekends. I know I function well online as that is how I just completed my BSN. The teachers look good and Lama Zopa Rinpoche is the head of FPMT so figured its legit. I have looked into other online based classes but they are extremely expensive so are not in my current budget.
    I did look into the Temple in Ann Arbor. They have classes but they are weekly so unfortunately I can't attend them. I do plan on trying to get there for one of their programs in the future but cannot attend regularily.
    Thanks for the quick reply Gecko Nice to know someone else is up when I am! (It 5 am here :) )
  • edited August 2010
    Robin wrote: »
    Nice to know someone else is up when I am! (It 5 am here :) )
    Well, only because it's about 8pm now - but it'll be dark at both places! :lol:

A RN? Kudos! I know a couple of RN practicing Buddhism, and I reckon they are some of the most calm and compassionate people around!

In light of what you said, it actually sounds like a good alternative (I'm terrified of shift work!) There are a couple of people on the forums here who are proud isolated practitioners (I can't remember their names, but one has the Awesome Chuck Norris as their avatar) - they are bound to have loads of advice for you!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Robin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with this course? I am currently working through the free Meditation module and like it so far, although the boards are pretty quiet. Do you think it is worth the money? Each module is $45 or free if you join at the $30-99/month membership level. Each module is supposed to take approximately 2 months to complete.

I'm also currently taking the free meditation module, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm approaching it as though I'm officially enrolled in class, ie reading all the required materials (including the required book, How to Meditate by Kathleen McDonald), taking the quizzes, practicing each technique, and so forth. I'm finding this course to be very beneficial for my practice. Kathleen McDonald (aka Ven. Sangye Khadro) is an excellent meditation teacher, who presents ideas in a clear way that is very easy to follow.

I have been planning on taking some of the other modules when I've finished with this one; right now I'm thinking I would also like to try the Establishing a Daily Practice, How to Develop Bodhichitta, and Transforming Problems courses. I don't think $45 is too much, especially considering I am already taking an important class for free.

You asked about the message boards, which I don't really use (since I'm always here ;)) but if having an active community is an important factor in joining the class you may have to consider what will be most beneficial for you. I think it's a nice option to be able to post there, even if there's not a lot of messages; maybe that can actually be a strength, since the teachers and senior students won't be overwhelmed with many questions.

I happen to be fortunate enough to live near the FPMT headquarters, so I have personal experience with the organization. I have learned so much from the resources they provide, so I do think it would be good to continue to explore the options they have. I haven't renewed my membership since it expired but your post is a good reminder that I should :)

Hope this helps!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Lama Zopa had a very excellent teacher in Lama Yeshe :)
    The Dharma is pretty much unchanged ( Almost ) from the lineage :)
    I know some people who take their course and they say that it is very helpful in developing a knowledge of Gelugpa Buddhism. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Here's a link to a lot of free resources, especially dharma talks, that is endorsed by Lama Zopa and HHDL: http://www.thubtenchodron.org/
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Lama Zopa had a very excellent teacher in Lama Yeshe :)

:bigclap:
  • edited August 2010
    I love that site. I actually considered trying to study the Lamrim by myself using her teaching but it seems a bit daunting to go alone. Part of why I was considering the FPMT courses.
  • edited August 2010
    Hmm, now I'm tempted to use the free course too! :o

There's so many ways and methods out there, I get lost even trying to just compare them to what I want! :lol:
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    Hmm, now I'm tempted to use the free course too! :o

I will post the link and information again for those who are interested.

Check out the FPMT Online Learning Center and scroll down the page to the courses. The free course is the Discovering Buddhism Module 2 - How to Meditate. The enrollment key for this class is calmabiding07.

There is another class that is currently being offered for free, Living in the Path Module 1 - Motivation for Life. The enrollment key is motivation03. You can set up an account and take both classes if you like.

I'd highly recommend doing the classes as though you were doing it for credit - listening to the teachings, reading the required materials, practicing the meditations, etc - to get the most benefit from them.

I hope many people try them out and find that they can apply the techniques to their daily lives!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks Mugzy!

Time to shove the dunce-hat under the desk and sharpen the pencil once again!
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I've attended the Kadampa Center, one of the FPMT centers in the states, for about a year and a half. Unfortunately I don't live close enough to utilize the classes on Tuesday nights. The night classes follow the same two year rotation of FPMT courses that they offer online, only its like a formal class. I live an hour and a half away, so that isn't an option. They suggested doing the online modules since I lived too far away, but I'm also rather broke, so $45 a class isn't an option either. Although I would love to take the classes. I think I'm going to try the free meditation one, and if it works, perhaps later on in life I will be able to afford the rest.