Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who or what do I listen to?

edited August 2010 in General Banter
Hey I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post a question like this(So please forgive me, but I really need your help).

It seems that I am stuck in a position that I don't know weather I should follow my own instinct or follow someone else's advice on how to move forward with my life.If I follow my own advice someone disproves it and if I follow someone else's advice it turns out that the person I am getting advice from is a loser himself.I see these great leaders that follow their own gut instinct that leads them to success but maybe they had people that helped them along the way...Even if I decide to follow my own instincts how do I know they are right?I don't know what to do...

Comments

• ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    mishawu wrote: »
    Even if I decide to follow my own instincts how do I know they are right? I don't know what to do...
    Everybody is in that situation friend, we just have to do what we think is right. The Buddha said "Be a lamp unto yourself", that means use your own judgement with regard to deciding what is beneficial to you and what is not.

You might well make a mistake, but that is how we learn what is not of benefit. If you think about it, having someone else lead you by the hand means you never get to figure things out on your own, you never get to experience that which should be avoided and thus will never fully appreciate why it should be avoided, except on a simple intellectual level.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Don't follow your instinct. Don't follow other people's advice. The responsible thing to do is weigh everything you know about the situation and what you want to get out of it, then compare the likely outcomes of your options, and choose the option most likely to bring you what you want.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have to agree with fivebells here.
    Weigh things up and investigate.
    There have been times when my instincts have gotten me in some real trouble as has other peoples advice.Remember,1 mans medicine can be another mans poison.
    I must voice a little concern that you make reference that the person you take advice from may be a loser HIMSELF.This makes me conclude that you consider yourself a loser.
    Do not do this.It makes it hard to motivate yourself to do anything.
    With metta