Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation apps/timers

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited September 2010 in Meditation
I just got this app called "Zen Timer" for my iPhone. It really beats using the alarm on my watch. I was wondering what else everyone uses for timers out there?

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    A kitchen timer
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I keep forgetting to set a timer, and every time I finish mediation I remember I should have set one lol.. So I never know actually how long I meditate.. I intend to use the alarm on my nokia, (no colour screen lol) old old fone I got for 800 baht. It has snake 2 though :P

What does this app do that a regular timer or alarm would not provide..
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It has snake 2 though :P

I love old snakey!
    edited August 2010
    lol, I have become the click freak when I play it. All you hear is the clicking of the digits and all you can see is a blur known as my fingers! top score of like 3,400 ;)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I just got this app called "Zen Timer" for my iPhone.

I actually bought the app after seeing this post. It's pretty nice and handy!
    top score of like 3,400 ;)

:bowdown:
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Lol, u hope I don't get banned for advertising! It actually is pretty nice. The bell sounds are just much nicer then alarm sounds. I also programmer an hour meditation with a ten minute walking meditation in the middle. The interval bells are handy
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    On my (android) phone, I use Just Sit. It has severe limitations, though. It's open-source, so I could extend it in principle, but I hate Java and don't have a lot of time.

When I have a full-fledged computer, I just write my own timer.
    edited August 2010
    lol, I am the only one without a smart fone :( o well, pah to material things :P you lot can suffer with your attachments and gadgets!! Is there an app for enlightenment?? loool :D jokinnnngg
  • edited August 2010
    iNirvana??? LOL :D
  • edited August 2010
    Robin wrote: »
    iNirvana??? LOL :D

Woah, patent that bad-boy quick! :D

I used to use a gong-recording that broke a selection of meditation sittings into regular intervals (for staged meditation practices). I don't have an iPhone, so now I just use a quiet alarm, or just sit until I fall asleep, or feel I have to move else go insane :D
  • edited August 2010
    I've been using timer on iPhone, but it's a bit annoying in that if you want to sit past the end time, you have to break the concentration (when I'm lucky to get some) to shut off the alarm.
    edited August 2010
    I just sit until I don't want to or can't sit anymore. like I said, I have never timed myself in meditation before, it could be 3 minutes or 30, I have no clue :P
    edited August 2010
    It's a good idea to set a specific time to meditate. By abandoning it when you don't want to do it anymore, you are entrenching some fairly difficult karma.
  • edited August 2010
    indeed
    it is at the same time a good idea to just forget about time keeping meditation timeless
    subjectively we experience time very different in meditation, so we must taste time and figure out how the clock of the universe runs within us and outside us and through us
    while also it is good to experiment with different timers and things that mediate between you and time....... such as meditation music, or self generated hand claps , or a poor asian orphan you hire from the street to strike a gong for you and prepare the aftermeal rice dish
  • edited August 2010
    indeed
    or a poor asian orphan you hire from the street to strike a gong for you and prepare the aftermeal rice dish

It's things like that which get my hopes up about finding a karate-kid-esque mentor whom will personally oversee my martial and spiritual practice to the point of hollywood awesomness! :mad: :D
  • edited August 2010
    I guess im wondering, ive been meditating for only a few weeks, when i first started, I giggled a lot and the thought of silence alone, timers aside, what are your tricks for a "successful" meditation?
  • edited August 2010
    A successful meditation is one in which merely happens. :D

There's no real 'good' or 'bad' meditation - as long as you do whatever 'meditation' you do, there will always be something to reflect on, or some cultivation, or some weird insight regarding a new version of chocolate chip cookies!
  • edited August 2010
    Haha, i like that!! *drools* mmm cookiiiieeesssss......

BTW @ the Just sit app for the android phone, i like that too. Very simple, but works just fine.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't have a phone, haha (or a TV). Not because of material possessions, but just because I never really enjoyed TV and having people be able to contact me anywhere I go at any time for any reason, haha. Actually, I've never really thought of timing my meditations. Why do you time them? Did I miss something?

And lol, Ladyfire, I couldn't stop giggling when I started. I can't even figure out why, but I would just start laughing or something for no reason. It was almost like being stoned for the first time. /shakes head. Maybe that just means we're awesome. /high five.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I just got this app called "Zen Timer" for my iPhone. It really beats using the alarm on my watch. I was wondering what else everyone uses for timers out there?
    An egg timer in the shape of Homer Simpson's head.
    Actually, I've never really thought of timing my meditations. Why do you time them? Did I miss something?
    I time my morning one because if I didn't I'd be late for work. :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Treeleaf Zendo has timers that can be downloaded at various lengths.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/meditation.html

For myself I made my own mp3 timer using garage band.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't have a smart phone, but my watch's timer feature works just fine for me. I set it for the desired length of time (35 minutes), set the watch down on the floor behind me (so I won't look at it during the session) and forget about it till it beeps.

I've read that having a set time for the beginning and end of a meditation session, helps in giving the practice some structure and this in turn makes it easier to maintain through a long-term period. Supposedly it's also helpful if you meditate at the same time of day every day.
  • edited August 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    I time my morning one because if I didn't I'd be late for work. :)

Lol, way to go off making sense and stuff.
    edited August 2010
    MUGGGZYYYY you meditation robotron you! lol, I still haven't managed to meditate well enough for over 2 weeks now :( It is getting me down and I am being such a fool about it. 2moro, I am going to just sit and let go of EVERYTHING, I hope it works. Maybe I need a smart fone :P like buddha had of course he he he
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    MUGGGZYYYY you meditation robotron you! lol, I still haven't managed to meditate well enough for over 2 weeks now :( It is getting me down and I am being such a fool about it. 2moro, I am going to just sit and let go of EVERYTHING, I hope it works. Maybe I need a smart fone :P like buddha had of course he he he

You don't need to procrastinate, you can meditate right now. It can be as short as five minutes, or one minute. You can let go of everything right now, in this very moment.

btw, just because I'm silver it doesn't mean I'm a robot :p
    edited August 2010
    What does it mean, to not meditate "well enough?"
  • edited August 2010
    what? timer? granted, i can only meditate maybe once a week, but i don't feel the need for timers. i guess i look at it this way: the buddha didn't have a timer(i wasn't there, so i guess i don't know:) ) but to me, using a timer modernizes an old practice. and if we're supposed to be calming down in this sped up time we live in, where time is used up untill the very last minute, why time even our meditation practice?

just a couplea thoughts.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    i guess i look at it this way: the buddha didn't have a timer(i wasn't there, so i guess i don't know:) ) but to me, using a timer modernizes an old practice.

Historically there have been other ways of timing meditation, such as incense sticks.
  • edited August 2010
    ok..point....but if you close your eyes, how to know when it's 'time up?' and wouldn't watching time be some sort of attachment/dukkha? just another thought. then again, i'm a newbie.
    edited August 2010
    by 'not well enough' I meant, if I even try and sit down to meditate recently, I open my eyes and get up within a minute or so
    edited August 2010
    Why do you get up?
    edited August 2010
    I made a meditation timer for my droid, last night. Should work on any android phone. Here is how I did it, for anyone who wants one.

• Get a bell mp3 file. Transfer the file to the droid. Put it in the top directory, and name it "bell.mp3."
    • Install SL4A.
    • Install the python interpreter.
    • Save the following script on the phone as sl4a/scripts/bell.py, same way as you put bell.mp3 on the phone.

import android
      android.Android().droid.view('file:///sdcard/bell.ogg', 'audio/ogg')
    • Save the following script as sl4a/scripts/med.py

import android
      droid = android.Android()

total = 0
      for delay in [0.001, 15, 35, 10]:
      total += delay
      droid.scheduleRelative("bell.py", 60*total)

[The last two lines have to be indented by four spaces. I can't figure out how to make this html editor indent them.]

The numbers "15, 35, 10" are the delays in minutes between bells during my meditation sessions. You can change this list to whatever set of delays you like to use. The initial "0.001" means that a bell goes off as soon as I start the session. I use this to make sure the timer is working, and is set so that I will be able to hear it.
    • Go to the droid's home page, press and hold an empty section of screen, until the "Add to Home screen" menu comes up. Choose "Shortcuts," then "Scripts." Select the "med.py" script.
    • When you want to meditate, go to the home screen, and select the "med.py" icon.
    edited August 2010
    Because I cannot concentrate or get anywhere, realise I am not in the right frame ofmind, get restless and bored, these sort of things. Like I said, I really need a smart phone I think, then my life will be complete :) lol. Asides from jokes, I actually saw a monk with a smart phone who got onto my bus, he actually ushered this woman to move her seat so he could sit in her place at the front next to to the window
    edited August 2010
    Try doing 100 one-breath meditations: just attend to the experience for the duration of one breath.
  • edited August 2010
    what i do when my attention wanders
    i turn it back to the in-breath
    that usually does what needs doing
    i guess i do look at the clock
    and the last time i was there
    i was there 35 min or so
    edited August 2010
    I have worked out that I appear to be switched back onto self destruct mode again, a path I have lead for a lot of my life. It is very negative but also very powerful and appealing. I don't know, it is hard to get away from
    edited August 2010
    What kind of self destructive urges are coming up?
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    wouldn't watching time be some sort of attachment/dukkha?

Yes it can be. Aversion to timers is also attachment.

Paradoxically, setting a timer can help one become less attached to time
  • edited August 2010
    I've been using this for years: http://www.sagemeditation.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&category_id=10&flypage=shop.flypage&manufacturer_id=4&page=shop.product_details&product_id=30&Itemid=2&redirected=1&Itemid=2 It can be set from 10 minutes op to one hour. The 'alarm' is a very gentle sound of a bell and when you start it will give you some 20 seconds to settle down. I like it very much!

Pieter
    edited August 2010
    just drinking often, being vexed and scorning people, getting into arguments, unskillful speech, just being a negative person in general.

I heard that if you have a concept of time and how long you have been meditating for etc, this hinders the outcome and isn't the way to go about doing it. But I also heard a monk say that you should not believe what a monk says, or what somebody tells you or even what the buddha said. You need to find out for yourself :P But that means you should not believe that statement, another paradox!
  • edited August 2010
    another point...but what i really meant was i don't see the point in timing the meditation, i'm not averse to it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I prefer the Vipassana App for iPod/iPhone. Simple, clean, free. xD
    edited August 2010
    I meditated for 14 minutes today!! woop. The first time I have ever had any concept of how long I have been meditating for ever since I first tried meditating 18 months ago! It seemed a lot shorter than 14 minutes though :/
  • edited August 2010
    I meditated for 14 minutes today!! woop. The first time I have ever had any concept of how long I have been meditating for ever since I first tried meditating 18 months ago! It seemed a lot shorter than 14 minutes though :/

What made you stop at 14 minutes?
    edited September 2010
    um, Let me try and recall a second. I think I lost concentration and became restless... started thinking of things I have to do or want to do next.
  • edited September 2010
    um, Let me try and recall a second. I think I lost concentration and became restless... started thinking of things I have to do or want to do next.

I find it useful to sit through those periods and try to observe what my mind is doing. That's where timers come in useful - you know that you shouldn't get up before it rings, which helps deal with restlessness.
    edited September 2010
    Well done, Tom.
    edited September 2010
    I see, yes I guess I am just giving in to my monkey mind too easily. I have found that I tend to be mindful in every day life, I relate and find it easier to do this than to sit and meditate, but it is a learning curve and I will keep sitting, maybe even get an ifone :P haha