Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreats!

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited August 2010 in Meditation
I just got back from a week long silent retreat in traditional korean zen style. It's called "Kyol Che", which means tight Dharma, tied together. It's an intensive silent meditation retreat and it goes for 30 days in the summer and 90 days in the winter each year. You should all go to one!

I learned many things! Ask me what I learned! :D

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Obviously being quiet wasn't one of them....!! :lol:

Ok, go on, I'll bite - give is a sample!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Obviously being quiet wasn't one of them....!! :lol:

Quiet / not quiet. Is there really a difference? :)
    Ok, go on, I'll bite - give is a sample!

Zen answer: Buddha's ultimate teaching: Chipmunks like to eat pine nuts and climb trees occasionally. :D

Normal person answer: Metta is extremely powerful in getting rid of anger and irritation. I have never really practiced Metta before and did not realize just how powerful it is. The guy sitting next to me the whole time was quite irritating! He had no idea of anything! He always forgot his robe and I had to continually remind him..., he moved around constantly..., he followed me around..., he always took the food tray before I was done using it... and did many other irritating things while being completely unaware of it. But as soon as I started practicing Metta, all that irritation instantly disappeared! Quite a powerful technique.

Also, very important.

Barn swallow song birds don't like it when you walk inside their barn, especially if they have a nest of babies in there. :D

p.s. and oh yea, the past and future really don't exist. :lol:
  • edited August 2010
    Observe the moment of silence in your mind when I
  • edited August 2010
    suddenly stop mid-sentence then
  • edited August 2010
    resume. Cool, ain't it?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Zen answer: Buddha's ultimate teaching: Chipmunks like to eat pine nuts and climb trees occasionally.

Me too :om:
  • edited August 2010
    I go stark-raving mad at silence in retreats. :S