Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Diversity -vs Racism

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited October 2005 in Buddhism Today
*** Note! - If you are reading this in the forums - the http links won't work - you'll have to copy and paste the think into your browser - at least until I figure out how to make this work! ***

Diversity -vs Racism

Some people flock to diversity. They find the new culture, traditions and experiences enlightening, entertaining and endearing.

Others find diversity as a threat or something they can, possibly, use to enhance their frail vision of "self" by looking down upon someone else.

In the US, I believe, most racial tension that we hear about is between White and Black. Or, to be PC, I should say White and African American. Or actually, maybe I should say European American and African American. But, that isn't to say that is the only type of racism. The US continues (as do many other countries) to have many immigrants from other countries coming here for some experience they wish to be a part of.

Have you ever been a part of or witnesses a "hate crime" or blatant racism? The judging, ridiculing, or hating of another human being based solely on the color of their skin? When you were a Buddhist? When you weren't a Buddhist? Did you do anything? Was there anything to do?

Here are some links that might provoke some thought or discussion.

Racism in Various Countries/Continents
http://www.globalissues.org/HumanRights/Racism.asp

Reverse Racism
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=14384

Racism in Australia
http://www.racismnoway.com.au/library/understanding/index-What.html

See "Hate Crimes Section"
http://www.essays.cc/free_essays/g1/bth56.shtml

I don't mean for this to be a "white -vs- black" issue because we have plenty of information regarding the atrocities against Native Americans with the "Taming of the West" in our American history - racial cleansing of WWII and, recently, between Serbs and Croats, the Iraq slaying of Kurds, Augusto Pinochet in Chile, the list goes on far too long for the 20th Century.

What are your thoughts or experiences?

-bf

Comments

• edited October 2005
    i went to a school where there was a high (about 70%) Asain population - mostly Pakistani.The racial divides were blacks and whites against Asains. But then i had a Chinese friend and some of the Pakistanis were blatently racist to him. In my previous school i had an Indian and a Pakistani friend - the Indian despised the Pakistani for no other reason than ethnicity.

Among some of my white peers if there is an Asain who is considered alright you will often hear them say they don't consider him to be a Paki (the racist term for Pakistani for those who might not know).

In my experience it's not colour that defines racism but cultural norms (e.g. dress, fluency of English, music taste...). Maybe this is because there is a big mix of colours where i come from so it's not so much an issue?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I have no idea how racism really works in the US.

I know there is the whole "white -vs- black" thing. But I've heard stories about there being a "black -vs- asian" or more specifically "korean" thing going on.

There is the general redneck view of some "whites" not liking anyone, etc.

Then I hear about this type of "tension" and I just sit here with a dumb look on my face.

I'm sure there is much more "racial tension" going on in the world than what I'm used to. I remember asking a guy in Bosnia (who I met through music via the internet) about the whole Serb/Croat thing and it was a difficult conversation for him. I believe that he is fairly open-minded - but both sides after suffering losses (because this conflict has been going on for centuries) have a hard time biting their tongues.

I just don't know very much!

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    The Serb/Croat thing isn't racial but religious. It is a centuries-old struggle between the Catholic Croats and the Orthodox Serbs. The Balkans have been the meeting-point of these two (with added Islam later to complicate matters) since Belisarius. Although the political separation of Eastern and Western Empires worked reasonable well, away from border regions, it led to a millennium of slaughter at the margins.
  • edited October 2005
    As a black female buddhist, i have had all kinds of experiences with racism, but it does not define me. I only mention these finite definitives because of the topic. I am fortunate in that i was raised a human being by my family and so have valued myself above those finite definitions. My friends say i look at the world thru rose colored glasses. My black friends tell me of all the hate they have encountered in my town, i haven't seen any of it. My friends list reads like the UN. I judge people on how they treat me and more often than not, I am well treated. I have female friends that speak of glass ceilings, yet i have always done as I have desired in the world of work. I am nichiren buddhist, chanting nam myoho renge kyo for 28 yrs and some of my non buddhist friends have wanted to "save me from hell". Ultimately, I think that the way we precieve the world is the way the world responds to us. I also think that if each of us are mindful of our own space, our own actions in that space than ultimately, it will all change. In one of Nichiren's writings he quotes the Vimalakirti Sutra: "if the minds of living beings are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds." This I think is the crux of the matter, change our minds, we change our karma and our world.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    TracyLinMiller, welcome to our site :)
    edited October 2005
    TracyLinMiller,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the post!

I haven't seen a lot of racism in my life - personally - but then I'm white in a town that is mostly white. Although, I've had jobs where I've worked with European (all various "hues" of this "label"), Asian's from all countries, African, people from India, people from Russia - and even Scotland.

In my travels - which aren't as extent as others here - I've found that jerks come in all colors and creeds. I find that people that have problems with color or creed - are also, typically, the people that expect handouts from others and the government, would rather sit and bitch all day about how unfair things are (rather than get up and do something about it) and how their misfortune is always someone elses fault.

I love diversity. I love learning things from other people and cultures that I've never been able to experience in my own area of existance.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Brian, thank you for the welcome. Buddhafoot, I agree because without diversity it would be a big bore, nor would we have become as "civilized" and let us not forget technology. I was fortunate to raise my children, 3 daughters, in san francisco becasue it gave them a firsthand veiw of others, instead of the prejudgement of others without any fore knowledge there off (hmm isn't that the defiinition of prejudice?). They learned that their is good, bad and indifference in all groups of people and to choose your friends from teh best people because of their character. At any rate, people who sit on the computer and espouse their beliefs is one thing, but taking it out into the real world and making it work is a whole different ballgame. It makes me really glad I am buddhist.
  • edited October 2005
    Twobitbob, perhaps I misunderstand your statement:
    In my experience it's not colour that defines racism but cultural norms (e.g. dress, fluency of English, music taste...). Maybe this is because there is a big mix of colours where i come from so it's not so much an issue?

It seems you are saying that the results of one's ethnicity determine if one is a racist or not. Personally, I see that racism is a definite result of color, because color as well as the other cultural norms which you discribed is how an individual or group is singled out for racism. As an example, during WWII, there were no german-americans interred, only Japanese americans. Why? because they were distinquisable from the general american populace. Those individuals easily assimilated into euro-caucasion appearance are seldom questioned, unless of they have an ethnic name. Hence one of the reason that so many immigrants here in the USA changed their names. As a matter of fact, I have a Japanese associate who changed his name to george williams. I won't suggest that I know what was going on in his mind when he made this choice. Recently, one of my daughters complained that I had done them an injustice by giving them ethnic names, (their names are yoruba and kenyan) because it allowed persons to form opinions about them without ever knowing them. Of course I explained that this was not her problem, but those with the narrow world view that allowed them this behavior. In my observations, I have learned that people usually become their names, even when they don't know what they mean. Therefore, I game them names with meanings, as hers means, "One who succeeds, the seeker of knowledge." This sharing has made me aware of another aspect that others may have to deal with and for this I am appreciative of my daughter opening my eyes. One more thing to chant for the resolution of.
  • edited October 2005
    Boy did I digress! Normal behavior for me, seems like everything in my mind is closelyliinked to everything else in my mind,lol.

My point is that racism, prejudice, intolerance, whatever the label stems primarily from ignorance and fear. Our environment is filled with opportunities for these behaviors. Fortunately, many of us are adults, which mean we can accept or reject such behavior in ourselves and others and in this way, slowly, tenaciously change the world.
  • edited October 2005
    i accept your point that much racism is simply a matter of colour, but much of it is not. An Englishman a Scotsman and a Welshman could all be the same colour but hate each other passionately purley on grounds of culture. Also i would say that much racism is culturally determined. A Palistian is likely (though by no means certainly) to grow up to hate Jews - it is a part of their cultural heritage.

Also, having worked with many Africans and Afro-caribbeans i was suprised at the racial hatred between the two. Same colour, similar cultural heritage, but still they hate.

i can only speak about my experiences of racism and from what i've seen i can (generally) put racists in one of two groups.' Active' racists really hate other ethnicities for whatever reason and will actively pursue their hatred to whatever end. 'Passive' or ignorant racists hate because it is convenient to do so and only lash out when someone manipulates their ignorance into targeted racial hate. Also i think a lot of racist dialogue is simply fashionable - like deriding the gay community still is - if something goes wrong and there's 'Pakis' around it's just expected that you blame them.

i know i'm generalising and people don't really fit into neat categories but i just needed a way to explain why perfectly decent people turned into raging assholes when the discussion turned to race (usually prompted bt the Sun newspaper). And just a personal rant to finish - i try not to hate but i really hated it when, in the warehouse i used to work in, white people would be all buddy around black folk but as soon as they were gone would slag them off.:mad:
  • edited October 2005
    twobitbob, sounds like i might need to step outside the box,
  • edited October 2005
    twobitbob, sounds like i might need to step outside the box,

Box? What box?
    edited October 2005
    At any rate, people who sit on the computer and espouse their beliefs is one thing, but taking it out into the real world and making it work is a whole different ballgame. It makes me really glad I am buddhist.

Good point.

It probably is easy being the worlds most prolific humanitarian from a keyboard.

I'm glad I have friends from all walks of life. We have fun together.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    I would tend to agree that Racism is primarily acted out of ignorance and fear. I have discussed this issue with many people of various origins, in the UK, whilst working in the mainly ethnic community of Bristol. I have discussed the "Caste" system as operated within the Hindu community also the tribal hierarchy in Africa. I have always been intolerant of prejudice on the grounds of Race but believe that it is worthy of note that this is not just a simple White vs. Black issue.

The whole subject of Racism is such a sensitive topic, as I write this post I feel like I am walking through a Minefield. Why??....because I am White and British and as such feel that I am on that greasy tightrope governed by Political Correctness. The fact is and the fact remains that there exists a real problem surrounding this whole issue. This is the point in which most people feel the need to go on and expound their tolerance of all people irrespective of the colour of their skin and how they have "friends" that are Black and Asian..Blah...Blah. Well anyone who knows me and wants to know me better, knows where I stand.

Diversity is what makes this World such a rich, varied and interesting place to live. My concern is that such integration of all this diversity is often implemented with the right motive and convictions but done at a pace that makes it unstable. South Africa and Zimbabwe are two such examples, the universally condemned system of Apartheid has now been removed. Are these two Countries now at peace? No has to be the answer....The Ugandan born Right Reverend John Sentamu the Bishop of Birmingham, who once accused the Church of England for being Racist has condemned Robert Mugabe the Zimbabwe President of being the same.

South Africa and Zimbabwe are not safe places to live in, the administration has simply changed colour. The motivation is both greed and the desire particularly in Mugabe's case of redressing the balance and Blacks 'getting their own back'.

In order to have a successful multi-cultural society our Governments need to listen to the peoples' natural fear of change. When David Blunkett MP declared that the national dish of Britain is now Chicken Tikka Masala, whilst he may well have been right, many people were a little shocked. The lunatic fringe that have hijacked the union jack as their banner are thankfully in the minority, however not all white people are racist. The white person who is born into a predominantly white community, but over time sees their culture become the minority, is fearful of this change. But why does this make them a racist?

I felt the need to write this post to illustrate - allbeit clumsily - that Racism is not exclusively conducted by White people.
    edited October 2005
    I think that we should make clear distinction between "racism" and cutural antagonism.

One of the 20th Century's most striking example of this must be the slaughter of European Jewry under the Third Reich: no difference was made between different cultural backgrounds (German, Austrian, Polish, Bielorussian, French, Dutch, Italian, .....). It was one's "race" that determined one's one-way ticket to the camps And that definition was set by the state. For example, I am not Jewish by Jewish standards, my mother havng been a goy. But, from the point of view of the Nurnberg laws, I am Jewish enough, through my father, to have been oven-fodder.
    edited October 2005
    Abraham wrote:
    I felt the need to write this post to illustrate - allbeit clumsily - that Racism is not exclusively conducted by White people.

True,

We have a very recent occurance of this regarding the issue of the Tutsi and Hutu tribes...

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Abraham, i must agree, because my understanding is that all persons have the same potential for all things, good and bad, it is only the choice we make in the moment that makes us different from our fellows.
  • edited October 2005
    Simon, I think I'm in love, your command of logic and reason is orgasmic. :bowdown:
    edited October 2005
    Simon, I think I'm in love, your command of logic and reason is orgasmic. :bowdown:

Oh please.

He's just had a lot more practice than I have. I'm getting gooder at logic... and ... stuff like that.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    In Singapore racism does exist, but mostly in jokes... But true full-blown racism exists I admit, I display some myself at times too...

Racial harmony in my land is very much emphasized... In 1964 the Chinese in Singapore interrupted a Muslim procession of the Prophet Muhammud(p.b.u.h)'s Birthday and we had a large riot... Took days to settle down, since then, 21 July had been designated as Racial Harmony Day to remind us about the fragile and important ties of different races in Singapore...

Just recently two guys in my country were jailed for racism on their blogs against Muslim, and a 17-year old on his blog for racism against Christians. But I saw his blog once, he put all kinds of disclaimers that it was simply a site for humour, yet he still got himself charged. I support him, really, we live in a democractic society, supposedly free speech, I have to say this, even though it might get me in trouble with the law: THERE IS NO SUCH THING CALLED FREEDOM IN SINGAPORE.

Well if you wanna know how most of us view the government you might like this local satirical site http://www.talkingcock.com You'll get a good laugh, and a great lesson on what we Singaporeans call Singlish, a mix of our 4 official languages, Chinese, Malay, Tamil, English, and many other dialects... It's quite fun picking it up. The government encourages us to speak good English all the time here but you walk on the streets all you hear is Singlish.

Mind you, we do speak good English too, just a matter of convenience and familiarity. After saying this if I disappear, take it as I got arrested for treason.
    edited October 2005
    I would only repeat that religious division and hatred are not racism.

IMHO, we cannot and should not legislate against religious dialogue, however displeasing, unless it results in actual violence. I find many aspects of many religions deeply offensive but I would never want to outlaw people's right to believe nonsense if that is their bag!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    We share the same thoughts, dude... How I wish I was the President... Man this gonna bring me a second charge of treason LOL...