Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddha had the right idea

edited August 2010 in Faith & Religion
hi there everyone, so good and happy to see a forum like this.
thank you.

well, that with all these religions who believe in a god, i feel are being taken for a ride.
after all my 38 years, i still have not seen or met god.

i mean after all this time god has never showed him/herself to the people and still so much destruction is going on.

now also some muslims in my area say we are here to be tested, but thing is, i never asked to be put here, but then they tell me its a blessing.
is it?...how?.

i thought if it was that much of a blessing i would surely meet allaah or jesus whatever. they say if god showed himself we would all be and do good then, but we need to yet be tested, so god has to hide.

just would like to know your views on islaam please?.
im not looking to convert to a muslim, but very rather stick with buddhism for sure.

i feel a religion that believes in a god is just an excuse to make death look good. something to look forward to when there ain't.
if i saw the proof like the muslim prophet claimed to have, then it would be all good, but for now, no thanks.

i think these god religions don't even use their minds - and leave it all to their good books to tell them what to do.
these so called god religious followers are i feel are the worst of people quite a lot in how the live and treat others without real love and care..all fake!.

i went to hong kong and saw the sitting buddha on lantau island and wow that felt better than being closer or knowing any god.
i just feel that these god ways of life just don't use the mind, and so many religions claim they are the ones going to paradise.

seeing is believing with me im afraid.

thank you for reading. :)

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Hi m4nn. I'm new here as well. I have explored many religions in the past and by no means an expert but have learned a few things. The "book religions" (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) are based on faith not necessarily proof. God does not "appear" to people, you e to just believe. I don't see any of them as making"death look good". They teach of an afterlife with their Creator. For many people this is comforting.
    You seem to be seeking something you have yet to find. Yes, Buddhism may be what you are looking for, it may not. Do some reading, some contemplating and look inside yourself. Only in your heart will you find your true path.
  • edited August 2010
    hi there robin and thanks.
    very true.
    i kinda meant that death was like something to look forward to with god knowing there is something on the other side, but as yet no one has ever reported back.
    just all these silly claims and yet we follow.
    i do feel if any religion reduces suffering, its a good thing, but come on, seeing is believing with me and my church and mosque friends just want me to believe, but i cant. no way.

thanks.
  • edited August 2010
    m4nn wrote: »

just would like to know your views on islaam please?.
    im not looking to convert to a muslim, but very rather stick with buddhism for sure.

My view on Islam is that it is an old religion and has been practiced by a lot of really wonderful people over the centuries as well as some really awful ones. The same is true of all religions regardless of whether they include god beliefs or not.
    i feel a religion that believes in a god is just an excuse to make death look good.
    People have all sorts of reasons for choosing a worldview or religion. Fear of death is potentially a very powerful motivator for every sentient being.
    seeing is believing with me im afraid.
    Then Buddhism is likely a good choice for you. It doesn't ask for blind faith or submission to dogma. It points a way and invites you to see for yourself if it leads where it says it does.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    m4nn wrote: »
    after all my 38 years, i still have not seen or met god.

Whatever you believe or don't believe about "god", have you never contemplated a single atom of carbon in your fingernail? Have you never contemplated the distance between earth and even the "closest" stars, let alone those that are a really, really long way away? Have you ever contemplated the fact that you and I have shared DNA and frequently exchange atoms and molecules with each other across the Atlantic (with which we also exchange atoms and molecules regularly)??

Whatever you call "god" is surely there in all that, whether you think "he" is an omniscient creator-god sitting up on a cloud, or whether you believe that "god" is the energy that flows through everything. Or whether you believe there's no such thing... you can surely be awed by almost anything if you contemplate it.

:)

Mtns
  • edited August 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Whatever you believe or don't believe about "god", have you never contemplated a single atom of carbon in your fingernail? Have you never contemplated the distance between earth and even the "closest" stars, let alone those that are a really, really long way away? Have you ever contemplated the fact that you and I have shared DNA and frequently exchange atoms and molecules with each other across the Atlantic (with which we also exchange atoms and molecules regularly)??

Whatever you call "god" is surely there in all that, whether you think "he" is an omniscient creator-god sitting up on a cloud, or whether you believe that "god" is the energy that flows through everything. Or whether you believe there's no such thing... you can surely be awed by almost anything if you contemplate it.

:)

Mtns

thanks but i seen and experienced suffering with no thanks to a god, and no help. only myself gets me out of the mess of it all.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The Buddha became one with "god" and taught us how to do the same.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    m4nn, welcome.

I think you will find it a generally accepted premise here, that we do not denounce other religions, simply because we do not follow them.

All and any members are free and quite welcome to post on this forum, whatever their religious background, providing their motivation is to share and share alike... that is, they are just as curious to learn about Buddhism, as we are open to listening to their stances within their religion.
    There is no bar to any member here being Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Sikh, Wicca, Pagan or even Satanist!

proselytising, preaching and imposing views is discouraged. It is counter-productive and generates heated unnecessarily heated discussion. nd that cuts both ways....

But to criticise and condemn other religions, or people who follow them, is really not the done thing.

They have their views, beliefs, opinions and faith.
    And if that is their choice, it is both blinkered and narrow-minded of us to dismiss that.

You might like to look up Thomas Merton, Thich Naht Hahn, and even the Dalai Lama.
    All of whom have celebrated and encouraged the meetings of Christian and Buddhist Minds.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.