Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Destiny, Response, and Suggestions :)

JakbobJakbob Explorer
edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone, I am still very new to Buddhism and have some questions for you all. :)

1. Buddhism mentions karma and the universe. Should we view the universe not as a disciplinary omniscient being but more as a "random" set of occurrences that appear in karma? So even a good person faces anguish and a bad person must suffer consequences? Does the universe use no judgement?

2. What does Buddhism say about destiny? Do we have a purpose or are we here by natural occurrences? And we give ourselves the goal or purpose( nirvana)?

3. In the eightfold path, one should not intentionally harm another sentient being. (Which I totally agree with, even before I started reading into Buddhism, I was a pacifist :D) But... what does Buddhism say if another sentient being is to harm us?

4 and lastly, as I get more into Buddhism I know that there are different sects and "flavors" of Buddhism. Theravada, Mahayana, and Tibetan. All practice under the same basic principles, but all have different ways of reaching nirvana or methods. How do I know which one is right for me? I hope that someday I will know this, soon maybe, so I can begin to study ever so more deeply, and to one day connect with a true sangha(something I lack) at a temple. ^.^

5. Buddhism in my mind always seemed to be around the conciousness in mindful everyday practice and meditation. I never thought of it as one that "prays". Can someone explain to me more indepth buddhist prayer, why its done, when, and the use of prayer beeds, bracelets. ty :)
Thank you so much for your generosity and love!

Namaste

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Jakbob wrote: »
    1. Buddhism mentions karma and the universe. Should we view the universe not as a disciplinary omniscient being
    No, not even....
    but more as a "random" set of occurrences that appear in karma?
    Kamma isn't 'random'. It's a consequence of intentional, volitional actions, mental, verbal and physical.
    So even a good person faces anguish and a bad person must suffer consequences?
    Yes....why do you suppose anyone is exempt form the consequences of their actions, at any time? Good people know Suffering, bad people Know Suffering. Both can also know freedom from suffering....
    Does the universe use no judgement?
    No, why would it?
    'The universe' is just the universe. There is nothing there that can evaluate or judge. Why would you think there is?
    2. What does Buddhism say about destiny?
    That basically, there isn't 'destiny. Everything is governed by Choice.
    Do we have a purpose or are we here by natural occurrences?
    That's up to you, and by natural occurrences you mean childbirth? yes, then...
    And we give ourselves the goal or purpose( nirvana)?
    Do you know what you mean by Nirvana?
    3. In the eightfold path, one should not intentionally harm another sentient being.
    No, not the Eightfold Path, the 5 Precepts. This is the first precept....
    (Which I totally agree with, even before I started reading into Buddhism, I was a pacifist :D) But... what does Buddhism say if another sentient being is to harm us?
    Self-defence is ok, providing you apply it as skilfully and mindfully as you can.
    4 and lastly, as I get more into Buddhism I know that there are different sects and "flavors" of Buddhism. Theravada, Mahayana, and Tibetan. All practice under the same basic principles, but all have different ways of reaching nirvana or methods. How do I know which one is right for me? I hope that someday I will know this, soon maybe, so I can begin to study ever so more deeply, and to one day connect with a true sangha(something I lack) at a temple. ^.^
    Took me about 17 years, but don't fret, there's no hurry. Just study what you can, learn what you can, and just progress. Eventually, a Tradition, or School, will beckon.
    5. Buddhism in my mind always seemed to be around the conciousness in mindful everyday practice and meditation. I never thought of it as one that "prays". Can someone explain to me more indepth buddhist prayer
    I once heard it said: "Meditation is how Buddhists pray.
    Buddhists don't pray in the conventional sense. We meditate and recite mantras (depending on school of thought) and practise Metta. ,
    why its done,
    To cultivate Compassion and loving kindness, universally.
    when,
    Whenever you want
    and the use of prayer beeds, bracelets. ty :)
    These are used to keep count of the mantras you recite.
  • JakbobJakbob Explorer
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for your answers ^.^ One more thing, how important are mantras. Like, is ordinary meditation in itself enough or are Mantras like the next step?
    You said not harming is part of the 5 precepets, it IS also mentioned in the eightfold path under right action and right livelihood. :S
    Also, I am sorry for my lack of knowledge in Buddhism. Through much of your post you seem agitated by this by the constant use of ellipses. We do not start out knowing everything :).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Jakbob wrote: »
    Thank you for your answers ^.^ One more thing, how important are mantras. Like, is ordinary meditation in itself enough or are Mantras like the next step?
    Mantras for the most part are prevalent in Mahayana Buddhism.
    Meditation is one thing, Mantras can be incorporated. They are part of mindful Concentration, and generally invoke the Guru/Buddha in question, which personifies a specific quality, or essence of Buddhist beneficence....Mantras are mantras, meditation is meditation... mantras can be incorporated into a meditation, and vice versa....
    You said not harming is part of the 5 precepets, it IS also mentioned in the eightfold path under right action and right livelihood. :S
    Yes, but specifically with regard to not harming sentient beings and not killing, the 1st precept is the one to watch... The Eightfold Path is a model for Right Everything, right living. The 5 precepts are models of behaviour.....
    Also, I am sorry for my lack of knowledge in Buddhism. Through much of your post you seem agitated by this by the constant use of ellipses. We do not start out knowing everything :).
    No, don't worry. Everybody knows less than nothing when they start off.... And we were all where you were.... But it's useful to find a couple of good, reliable Buddhist websites, and do some research and studying. Many people can give you answers, but no two will be quite the same. But learning off a bona fide site, is going to advance your knowlege by leaps and bounds,....

THIS website is a great source of information, and so is THIS one....