Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Disability and ordination

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Today
A quick question.

I know that disability will disqualify one from being ordained in the Theravada tradition. Is it the same for Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    A quick question.

I know that disability will disqualify one from being ordained in the Theravada tradition. Is it the same for Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions?

I assume it would depend what disability, I see a few ordained in the wheelchair from time to time.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Where can I read about this restriction on ordination in the Theravadin tradition?
  • edited August 2010
    I may have it wrong. I saw that the "monk for a month" programme in Northern Thailand excluded amputees (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/261752-monk-for-a-month/page__pid__3829664__st__25#entry3829664) and I had the idea from somewhere that disability was a disqualifier generally in Theravada. However, I may be confused with the exclusion of aspirants who have certain diseases, e.g. tuberculosis.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/ordination1.htm

Apologies if I've misled people.
  • edited August 2010
    OK, I've got a bit more information.
    From the Dhammakaya website:Qualifications for those to be ordained http://www.dhammakaya.net/events/510708_Ordination.php
    The lord Buddha gave permission to males who take the Triple Gem as a refuge to ordain. For those who wish to ordain as a Buddhist monk must be at least 20 years of age. Those who are under will be allowed to ordain as a novice. The persons forbidden from being a monk are;

Those are homosexuals and hermaphrodites.
    Those who have done wrong against Buddhism such as killed an Arahant, caused schism in monastic community and asked to leave monkhood before.
    Those who suffer from the following diseases;
    Leprosy, Measles or Pox, fungus of skin.
    Skeletal deformity including handicapped, blind or deft.
    Debilitating weakness.
    Those who have prior restrictions or commitments such as not having parental or guardian consent, or by reasons of royal decree
  • edited August 2010
    The vinaya gives all kinds of restrictions on ordination that in my opinion are out-dated and no longer relevant. The exclusions of the disabled should no longer be practice along with the exclusion of women for full ordination and even albino's are excluded.
    I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if full ordination is offered to just about anyone in the Tibetan tradition at least before too long.