Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When you skip a meditation session...

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
So the past few days I haven't meditated because I've been busy (lazy). It's the longest time I've gone without meditation since I started my practice 2 months ago. What I've noticed is that when I don't meditate, my mind becomes noticably more active & anxious. I just meditated and already feel better. I think not meditating for a few days gave me a glimpse of how my mind operated before meditation all together, it was just now that I was aware of it. Stopping meditation showed me just how important meditation is, and I realize that now. Just curious if anyone else has similiar experiences when they skip a meditation session or two

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Yes, I've had that experience a few times and am really beginning to notice it now when I skip sessions. I just skipped one this morning in fact. For the past two weeks or so I have been meditating for an hour every morning. Today I slept in a bit too much and then had to go to work. I certainly feel much more calm and relaxed when I meditate. I've also noticed that it seems to help me keep a very stable emotional state, which tends to flutter around more when I don't meditate.

Dan
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited August 2010
    clearview wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone else has similiar experiences when they skip a meditation session or two
    Yes! I think your experience is universal.
    I highly recommend everyone skip a couple of days, just to see how much things change. Then start again!
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, definitely. I think I notice it the most when I haven't meditated for a few days and then I meditate - my mind is flying around all over the place. It makes me wonder how I ever managed to live in this chaotic state all the time, before I got into meditating! But I guess I must have done.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yes, at a certain point, a brief hiatus in meditation has actually been useful, because the suffering is then closer to the surface and easier to attend to.
  • edited August 2010
    Good timing for this clearview. I have a self-management project to do for Uni and my topic is the association between meditation and stress levels. As a part of my experiment I have had to stop meditating for a few weeks and boy am I a cranky cow! My 'intervention' for the project is daily meditation and I can't wait to get back into it as I certainly feel different. I am thinking sooo much about what is happening tomorrow, the next day etc and my tolerance has been challenged on several occasions. I just have to keep reminding myself it is in the name of research and on a positive note it is a good chance to practice all the things I have learnt through Buddhism. Which is proving a bit more difficult without meditation. In any case it has so far been an interesting project for me, as until now I didn't realise how much of a difference was making to me.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yes very much so. But I'm not going to say how many but it was more than one or two. Probably need a calculator to figure it out.:D
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    This is more long term skipping. About six years ago I didn't meditate for almost nine months and had little Sangha contact. I was high on money and status during a successful run in my profession. It was big time "me", big time karma, and big time painful fruit at the end of it. I crawled back to the meditation cushion after that. The beautiful thing was, when I suddenly showed up at a Dana (meal offering for monastics) after months of absence, everyone acted like I had never left, and we shared a laugh at how we so often choose to suffer.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I definitely do notice.
    I try to meditate twice a day.
    15 min each session...
    Zazen is what I practice and I have skipped days and definitely see a big difference between practicing everyday and not.
  • edited August 2010
    Without consistent daily meditation I feel like I am on some sort of cloudy distorted autopilot. When I do string together consecutive days of meditation I can feel the momentum of daily life slowing to a more manageable and healthier pace.
  • edited August 2010
    For me the tantric vows have been extremely useful.
    My commitment to a daily practice is constantly supported by the vows I have taken from my teachers and promises I have made to them.
    Without my commitments I could easily fall into laziness and start missing days of practice.