Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Re: Sports are they by their very nature anti Buddhist?

edited October 2005 in General Banter
I am intersted if there is conflict of passion with regard to Pro Sports.

I love Soccer it is my other religion. I watch it when I can and still play once a week. As part of the game there is a control aggression. Sadly I have to admit that I play better when the red mist comes down.

What do you guys think about Ice Hockey or Rugby?

Comments

• edited October 2005
    Well, everything in moderation, but I see no problem with sports so long as you leave the aggression on the field. It's healthy for you both physically and mentally. You get to work out and deal with pent up emotions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Yup, I concur with DharmaKitten;.. i believe it is absolutely essential in fact to utilise the controlled aggression within, and put it to advantage, by channelling the competitive spirit in all of us, and basically winning....! I mean can you imagine.....?

David Beckham: "Oh....I'm so sorry... I was actually going to tap that into the back of the net...."
    Thierry Henry: "Hew, weuld yew meaind ole shap? heid reazer yew deedn't....!!"
    David Beckham: "That's fine mate, no problem... another time maybe, huh?"
    Thierry Henry: "Yeers, pur'aps, or zen argen, meibee nert....!!"

I guess my old friend "The Middle Way rears its head.... I'm sure the Fighting Monks control and channel their Qi/aggression to produce a peak performance. The important thing is to drop it and leave it where it is best needed....

I love Rugby... I still believe it to be 'a Gentleman's Game'. I watch matches on TV with Nick, who is an avid sports fan, and delight in seeing hundreds of children in the crowd, cheering and joining in. I've rarely heard of any crowd trouble with Rugby.... unlike Football; furthermore, I don't think (in footie) that the antics of some players on the pitch do the sport any favours (Rooney for example....) Conversely, but I believe there might be some spectators who go to an Ice Hockey match hoping ofr a 'rumble'....! As with many things nowadays, True Gentlemen in Sports are unfortunately outnumbered.... So I do enjoy a good Rugby game - !! Inspite of the melée, they do seem to have a good humour and rspect for one another.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Cricket is, of course, the British Empire's greatest gift to the world. Only when you have sat through 5 days of a drawn Test Match can you reach any sort of understanding of sunyatta.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Ohmygawsh you are sooooo right - !!:lol:
  • edited October 2005
    I am intersted if there is conflict of passion with regard to Pro Sports.

I love Soccer it is my other religion. I watch it when I can and still play once a week. As part of the game there is a control aggression. Sadly I have to admit that I play better when the red mist comes down.

What do you guys think about Ice Hockey or Rugby?

I was an avid player of football, now alas just a mere spectator. I always played with Passion and controlled aggression but never Violence!....having only ever been to one Live game of Ice Hockey, its difficult for me to comment, however having watched several matches on the Television, I confess to finding the skill involved breathtaking....on the occasions when things "Kick Off" the blatant violence involving punches and the use of Sticks to be a bad example on how Sportsman should behave!

Ruby is also a Wonderful game involving strength, stamina, skill, and tactical awareness....the distinction between Passion, Controlled aggression and Violence is the same as applies to Football.

Ironically I have been injured more playing Football than playing Rugby.....clash of heads, kicks to various parts of my head and body, twists and sprains!.....to end this post, I would just like to add that the sad demise of many of these team sports in our schools and the great many playing fields that have been sold to developers is so sad....Sport should have a higher status in our Schools....Fitness....Team work...Passion...Competition...Pride...Long live Sport!......Herman...What team do you support??.......Oh and to answer your question.....NO CONFLICT
  • edited October 2005
    Cricket is, of course, the British Empire's greatest gift to the world. Only when you have sat through 5 days of a drawn Test Match can you reach any sort of understanding of sunyatta.

Then again watching Ian Botham or Freddie Flintoff in full flow....Bliss
    :bowdown:
  • edited October 2005
    For once I think I agree will all of you.

Pro sports have become tainted by greed. Maybe not so much with cricket or Rugby although there was that situation maybe three or four years ago where the England Rugby squad and the governing body fell out very publically over an intellectual property issue.
    The NHL didnot play at all last season again this was over wages capping.
    Cricket and the attention it has had in the media all over the world is refreshing because there are some really good role models for kids.
    Soccer is on the other had full of cancer. Agents and dodgy chairmen along with players who little or no intelligence and think that money, cars and acting like arses is the way forward.
    Managers can't go go unchecked here as you have Alex Ferguson and Sam Allardyce both have son's who work as agents who do business for them, the club and the players. Greame Souness and Kevin Keegan both have shares in Pro active sports agency. Conflict of interest is never mentioned.
    The saddess thing its alway the most important folk that get treated the worst.Yes of course the fans.
    They have little choice but to concede to these monsters and pay the inflated ticket prices year in year out.
    I have to take my hat of to the fans like of Wimbledon and Man Utd that have taken upon themsleves to start up new clubs to keep the spirit of their sport alive.
    Those who are interested please check this out http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4147762.stm

I don't have a favourite team any more. I guess you could say I take the third way on these issues these days and question everything.

I do have a favourite ironic chant of recent from the Man Utd fans and it aimed at Rooney when he scores and the politics that surround the club " Rooney scored a touch down lala, laa la".

My favourite Ice Hockey team was the LA Kings until I discovered that friend of the Bushes, David Anshultz owned a stake in the club.

Rugby is great to watch,I love watching the Welsh team. Those two brothers with the big hair are cool. The french and South Africa teams will be the teams to beat in the next Rugby World and they both totally brutal.

Abraham, who do you follow ?
    edited October 2005
    =Herman Hesse

"For once I think I agree with all of you."

How very disappointing.....!!
    Just teasing..:grin::lol:
    edited October 2005
    Many years ago, I taught at a school whose head teacher was very against competitive sports. He would not allow football of any sort, cricket or hockey. When I pointed out to him that the Chess Club, which he actively supported, promoted the most competitive game immaginable, he simply blustered.

Team sports can be extremely valuable in developing all sorts of good inter-personal skills and in building self-esteem.

• edited October 2005
    I agree Simon, life is competitive.......although losing with dignity is as important as winning!

Herman my team has always been Arsenal!.....I agree with your comments in general about all greed in Sport.....I have never agreed with paying someone to play for their Country!

In your NFL....I used to follow The New York Giants.......
  • edited October 2005
    On a related note, last night my hubby and I went to the Gator Growl for the first time (I'm a senior and he's an alumnus). It's the largest pep rally in the nation. They had Greg Giraldo and Wayne Brady there - both hilarious.

Let the gator growl!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Let the gator growl!

I thought gators hissed.... like they were having a hissy fit?

Let the gatorth hith.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    On a related note, last night my hubby and I went to the Gator Growl for the first time (I'm a senior and he's an alumnus). It's the largest pep rally in the nation. They had Greg Giraldo and Wayne Brady there - both hilarious.

Let the gator growl!

:wtf: :confused:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    It's American Football, dear.

Don't worry your pretty, little head about this... :)

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    For the record, gators can growl - and it's a pretty scary thing when you hear one growl. I know, I've gotten way too close to a few.
    edited October 2005
    I found a copy of Ambrose Bierce in the 20p box in the market, yesterday, and here is what it says:
    ALLIGATOR, n.
    The crocodile of America, superior in every detail to the crocodile of the effete monarchies of the Old World. Herodotus says the Indus is, with one exception, the only river that produces crocodiles, but they appear to have gone West and grown up with the other rivers. From the notches on his back the alligator is called a sawrian.
    Ambrose Bierce
  • edited October 2005
    :)