Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eat Pray Love

BarraBarra soto zenniewandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
Read the book? Seen the movie? What did you think?

Here's my take on it. I had read the book, and while I know that it is true and Elizabeth Gilbert seems like a true seeker, it had way too much of a Harlequin Romance vibe to it. I mean, who has a life like this - decides to give up her marriage. would like to go to Italy to learn Italian, to India to study with a guru, and to Bali to study with another guru. pitches the idea to a publishing house, which gives her $50,000 (!!!) to travel and gather material for a book.
Travels, ends up in Bali and falls in love with a romantic Brazilian. The end. (Wait a minute, was Cinderella's fairy godmother in there somewhere, or did I get the two stories mixed up?)

As for the movie, I went with a bunch of women friends, all of whom have traveled, some of whom meditate and who are at various stages in terms of their relationships. One of the group just loved the movie, and the rest of us appreciated it as a well filmed travelogue, some thought it was frivolous and as for me, the curmudgeon, I left muttering - "nobody in real life has a life like that......"

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Just because of the money and the travel involved people have been criticizing this movie... but I can see it happening if only one were to take the change to change the way we live.

All it takes is some reflection on where you are at a particular age and the willingness and resolve to change it before life passes you by. Is this any different than a guy in his 40's that buys a Porsche, or leaves his family to go paint in Tahiti?

I'm a 48 year old man who 3 years ago did some deep thinking and decided to start living my life instead of letting it pass me by. No I don't travel or have the means to do it... but within the physical and economic confines of my life as well as my marriage and family life I have managed to change my life to the point where I can embrace each day and truly honestly say that I live each day as if it were my last and enjoy every moment that I can.

What it took was my sister's suicide, the sudden death of my dear mother in law and the realization that I had "wasted" the last 30 years with mind-numbing habits like unhealthy food, excessive tv watching and recreational use of mind altering substances.

In the last 3 years I have accomplished the following... all without having to travel abroad or spending vast amounts of cash.

I have also found that most things are inter-related and that one can borrow habits\techniques among the various activities. And that EVERYTHING we do must be PRACTICED consistently and EMBRACED in order to be enjoyable and to eventually reach some degree of mastery.

- Returned to music and now have been studying and playing classical guitar for 3 years. I have attended two 7 day workshops at the University of Cincinnati, take weekly classes and performed several times onstage.

- I have lost 70 lbs by eating, enjoying and embracing cooking and healthy foods, and am not at my optimal weight of 185lbs and a size 36" waist.

- I have Eliminated Type II Diabetes and high Cholesterol, as well as 8 drugs that I was prescribed.

- I Have returned to running up to 4 miles a day and now am transition into Barefoot (or minimalist shoes) running in order to run more naturally and with less injuries

- I Have been pursuing the study and practice of Buddhism through the teachings of the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. I mediate twice a day, follow the Five Mindfulness Trainings, and attend a weekly 2 hour Sangha meeting. I have attended a 5 day retreat at Blue Cliff Monastery, and try to live mindfully and in the present moment.

- I have taken a personal vow not to drink any liquor due to the misery and despair that alcohol causes around the world. I have no problem with friends and family drinking socially around me and I share such occasions with a nice cool drink of water.

- I continue to practice, and enjoy a 21 year old marriage to a wonderful, supportive and loving wife and to support my two boys as they transition into adulthood and learn to become self sustaining adults.

- I have come to terms with the strong (most likely) possibility that my 20 year career in IT will soon end in it's present form as my company is currently working on outsourcing my department.

- I have re-ordered the priorities in my life and because of this I realize that my job is not me, it is simply a job and so when it finally ends I will simply find an alternate job to provide enough income so that my family and I can continue to live our lives and all the activities that we enjoy daily.

With all these changes I now have more energy than ever before, I'm in the best shape to date, have slimmed down to the same weight and waist size that I was in my college days and do more in any given day that I had done in a whole week before I decide to "eat, pray and love".

I went to see the movie with my wife and we both enjoyed it a lot. Sure it's a Hollywood movie, and it is somewhat of a travelogue but it is also geared to the movie-going audiences who are used to superficial, mindless and numbing entertainment.

And so without spending $50,000, without reaching the far corners of the earth and with the support of my wonderful wife I now cook and eat foods from around the world (mediterranean, asian,spanish etc), practice the teachings of the Buddha (India) through the teachings of a Vietnamese Zen monk, and love both my wife and myself more than I ever have... so I guess, I have learned to "eat, pray and love" with mindfulness and gratefulness for all that life has to offer.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The whole point of the book seems to be that you can only find happiness if you are good looking, thin, and affluent. Happiness can be found in world travel, pasta, sex, and fluffy feel-good spirituality.

The whole premise is insane. The plot is essentially the trip she took with the advance she received to write the book, so it's really a glorified travelogue about one self-absorbed, whiny author. I don't understand why people love this book. I understand why Oprah loves it, because she's ridiculously rich. But why so many people love it is truly beyond me.
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    The whole point of the book seems to be that you can only find happiness if you are good looking, thin, and affluent. Happiness can be found in world travel, pasta, sex, and fluffy feel-good spirituality.

The whole premise is insane. The plot is essentially the trip she took with the advance she received to write the book, so it's really a glorified travelogue about one self-absorbed, whiny author. I don't understand why people love this book. I understand why Oprah loves it, because she's ridiculously rich. But why so many people love it is truly beyond me.

I see what you are saying, and I agree to a degree. I enjoyed the story\book\movie but did not Love it.

I also think that in today's society where everyone wants a "diet pill" to fix all things in life rather than doing the work... this is as far as Hollywood and novels can get to soul searching if the book\story\movie is to have some financial success.

I guess that is why I posted my previous rambling because if one is willing to do "the work" one can find the peace and joy of life and what cultures around the world can teach us within the confines of our day to day life.

On the other hand, at least this woman took the initiative to travel abroad, to give to herself, and to do some inner search to find some degree of happiness and peace in her life. I suspect\hope that the real story & experience is much much deeper than the book.

She now has a store in NY, where she sells stuff from around the world that she and her husband collected. I will probably visit the store at some point when we go visit our dear friends who live close to it. It will be interesting to meet the author, and see\get a feel for what she is really like. We'll see...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I read it for what it actually turned out to be; uplifting pap with a positive message. Remember that in the place where she eventually found personal emotional fulfilment she also nearly got completely screwed over by one of the locals she took pity on.....

I did come away with one quotation from the book that hit me between the eyes:

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment."

I liked that one.....
  • edited August 2010
    haven't read the book but I'm going to watch the movie especially after reading the discussion going on here.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I haven't read the book or seen the movie but plan to do so once it comes out on video. I've been reading a lot of back-and-forth in my yoga communities about it. It does irritate me that so much marketing, so many buy-your-enlightenment products have leached onto the movie release, if I've heard correctly. It's annoying, but at the same time, I do think that creating a spiritual fad isn't a bad thing. True, a lot of people with the means to do so will probably hop a plane to India and expect to have similar experiences to Gilbert's, then abandon the idea after a while. But there are some folks who will truly gain from the experience. I'm sure all will gain SOMETHING from it. Basically, I see a lot of folks complaining about how the book and movie "cheapens" eastern spirituality, but I believe that trying to exclude anyone is not skillful. I try hard not to judge other's paths and just keep walking my own.
  • edited August 2010
    book and movie does not "cheapens" -- it will bring bring it out to a large number of people.
  • edited August 2010
    i only read a review of the movie. don't like movies or tv really. and my music/radio liking is getting less the more i study. anyway, as to the criticism of the movie, it almost seems that given the 'economic downturn' the rest of us are going thru, someone going off like that is a bit of a 'look what i got' type thing.
    dunno, just me thoughts!
  • edited September 2010
    i only read a review of the movie. don't like movies or tv really. and my music/radio liking is getting less the more i study. anyway, as to the criticism of the movie, it almost seems that given the 'economic downturn' the rest of us are going thru, someone going off like that is a bit of a 'look what i got' type thing.
    dunno, just me thoughts!

you don't watch movies or TV???
  • edited September 2010
    i don't go out of my way to. but i'd rather not at all. but i will sit and at least look at it with the family.
  • edited September 2010
    i don't go out of my way to. but i'd rather not at all. but i will sit and at least look at it with the family.

is it because you don't like movies and tv series etc.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    mugzy wrote: »

gotta love bitch magazine. i guess i will have to read the book because that article was pretty interesting (actually, someone gave me a copy as a gift a long time ago, just never got around to it). the only thing i really disagreed with was that Brazilians are in some way Sex and the City inspired anti-feminism brainwash. but that's a whole different topic...

i found this part interesting:
    Even better are movements like The Great American Apparel Diet. Not to be confused with a food plan sanctioned by American Apparel ceo Dov Charney, that iconoclast of modern American misogynists, GAAD is actually a movement started by a group of American women who decided to go a full year without buying a single new garment of clothing. Since its inception in September 2009, the group has grown to represent members from 17 states and six countries. “Some are sick and tired of consumption in general while others are concerned about consumption and the environment,” notes the group’s web page. “We all have our reasons for embarking on this project but it all gets down to this…who are we without something hip and new in our closets? We shall see.”

The admission that many of these women feel intense anxiety in the absence of the materialism that has for so long been tied to ideas of what makes women successfully feminine is a crucial and revolutionary first step that more women should feel safe taking. And not buying is, by definition, free, meaning that anyone with motivation enough and a desire to say no to the status quo can participate in this form of soul-searching. (Though, of course, the project operates under its own assumption—namely, that not spending money is a choice rather than an absolute necessity.)
  • edited September 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    is it because you don't like movies and tv series etc.
    partly that. but i think, at least lately, all shows seem to follow the same pattern. every few years a 'new' movie is either a re-make of an old one, or the formula is the same.
    movies are like politicians. they tease with something interesting, while the whole time hiding crap behind their backs.
  • edited September 2010
    partly that. but i think, at least lately, all shows seem to follow the same pattern. every few years a 'new' movie is either a re-make of an old one, or the formula is the same.
    movies are like politicians. they tease with something interesting, while the whole time hiding crap behind their backs.

don't you think that you are missing some really good movie - like Inception etc.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I went to the movie with my sister and niece. First time going to a movie house in a few years. We bought popcorn and I got Milkduds, which do not taste the same as when I was young. Where are the Flicks? Those were good chocolate candy that didn't taste good unless you sucked on them.

Then we sat down to watch the most delightful movie. If I were younger I could eat my way through Italy as I did Mexico. I had once joined two different Hindu groups but I really wish that one of them had chanted like they did in this movie. And then there was Bali. What I liked most about Bali was the house that the old man lived in.

I didn't get caught up in the romance as much as I did in seeing the countries and wishing I were young enough and had the money to travel again. I think I would have rather seen her eat her way through India and Bali. Lol.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    And so without spending $50,000, without reaching the far corners of the earth and with the support of my wonderful wife I now cook and eat foods from around the world (mediterranean, asian,spanish etc), practice the teachings of the Buddha (India) through the teachings of a Vietnamese Zen monk, and love both my wife and myself more than I ever have... so I guess, I have learned to "eat, pray and love" with mindfulness and gratefulness for all that life has to offer.

I liked your story very much, and I agree. The movie appears too grand. But you have to do something get people's attention. Maybe the good that will come out of this movie that it will inspire people to do some introspection.

I'm very content with my life and it didn't take $50,000 or any travelling either. I just had to be honest with myself and work at it.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thao wrote: »
    I think I would have rather seen her eat her way through India and Bali. Lol.

:) would have helped the budget ... think it would be a more enjoyable dietary experience for me that way too.

I haven't seen the film as yet, hasn't been screened here in Australia. Enjoyed reading the book, in the way I enjoy to read a good story -novel/autobiography/biography ... escape for a few hours and become totally engrossed and distracted by the text from start to finish - lol
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    andyrobyn: There is supposed to be a sequel too
    Titled “Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage,” the book is a memoir of a tumultuous year that came 18 months after “Eat, Pray, Love” leaves off, as well as a meditation on wedlock. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/books/20book.html

I don't think I would care for the sequel. And actually add shopping and site seeing to those trips, and I would be happy.
    edited September 2010
    Hi Thao, not sure that the sequel would be as interesting a read either .... can imagine she may have been faced with having to marry to allow them to live together in the United States ?
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Good question. someone will read it and we will find out. the "tumultuous year" made it sound uninteresting. I prefer fairy tale endings myself.
    edited October 2010
    :) I saw the film yesterday and enjoyed it ... it offered more than I expected ( as usual the company and my mood at the time effects my perception a lot though !! ) - lol.
    Thao it had the kinda ending you like :)
  • PaisleyPaisley Explorer
    edited October 2010
    I personally loved the book, and have read it three times. Haven't seen the movie yet.

I think what drew me to the book was that she decided to make a change in her life, internally, and because of that journey I so felt I closely related to her. I've been doing a bit of soul searching/changing myself and her book was inspirational to me.

Not enough to want to leave my husband and travel the world (although, a paid trip to find myself does sound kinda nice!) but I did take away a few things from that book about slowing down and listening to myself more.
  • edited October 2010
    I haven't yet read the book, or seen the film. Mainly because it will make me want to travel again! But, from what I have seen of it, it looks okay, and Julia Roberts is usually great. I will read it soon and then see the film.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010

I've got to agree with you, TB (hmm, that may be an unfortunate abbreviation!). I gave up watching TV altogether years ago as I couldn't take the crap that spewed forth on it and especially I couldn't stand watching anything with commercials. I sometimes housesat for a friend who traveled on business a lot, and she had cable with all the channels (free, as she worked for the cable company). I would literally be amazed that I could go through over 100 channels and not find one thing worth watching! Even channels like the History Channel, which I used to enjoy, had descended to meaningless pap like UFOs and such that appeal to a large audience but have absolutely nothing at all remotely to do with history. So I just stopped watching, and quite frankly I don't miss it the least little bit.

Same for movies in general, especially the Hollywood drek that the studios churn out, heavy on CGI and loud noise, totally devoid of any ability to actually tell a story. I did go see Inception because I thought Memento was really good (though the actual storyline was kind of stupid), but I had the same problem with Inception, namely that the idea was very clever and even thought provoking but the story line again was very pedestrian. I do go for indie movies though. I just saw Winter's Bone, a pretty bleak story about meth cookers in Missouri, which was excellent. Movies like that really show samsara for what it is - shit (despite the overly happy ending in Winter's Bone)! But movies made simply for entertainment (i.e. to make the studios rich) hold absolutely no interest for me. I've renounced being a Pavlovian dog. :crazy:

Palzang
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Just because of the money and the travel involved people have been criticizing this movie... but I can see it happening if only one were to take the change to change the way we live.

All it takes is some reflection on where you are at a particular age and the willingness and resolve to change it before life passes you by. Is this any different than a guy in his 40's that buys a Porsche, or leaves his family to go paint in Tahiti?

I'm a 48 year old man who 3 years ago did some deep thinking and decided to start living my life instead of letting it pass me by. No I don't travel or have the means to do it... but within the physical and economic confines of my life as well as my marriage and family life I have managed to change my life to the point where I can embrace each day and truly honestly say that I live each day as if it were my last and enjoy every moment that I can.

What it took was my sister's suicide, the sudden death of my dear mother in law and the realization that I had "wasted" the last 30 years with mind-numbing habits like unhealthy food, excessive tv watching and recreational use of mind altering substances.

In the last 3 years I have accomplished the following... all without having to travel abroad or spending vast amounts of cash.

I have also found that most things are inter-related and that one can borrow habits\techniques among the various activities. And that EVERYTHING we do must be PRACTICED consistently and EMBRACED in order to be enjoyable and to eventually reach some degree of mastery.

- Returned to music and now have been studying and playing classical guitar for 3 years. I have attended two 7 day workshops at the University of Cincinnati, take weekly classes and performed several times onstage.

- I have lost 70 lbs by eating, enjoying and embracing cooking and healthy foods, and am not at my optimal weight of 185lbs and a size 36" waist.

- I have Eliminated Type II Diabetes and high Cholesterol, as well as 8 drugs that I was prescribed.

- I Have returned to running up to 4 miles a day and now am transition into Barefoot (or minimalist shoes) running in order to run more naturally and with less injuries

- I Have been pursuing the study and practice of Buddhism through the teachings of the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. I mediate twice a day, follow the Five Mindfulness Trainings, and attend a weekly 2 hour Sangha meeting. I have attended a 5 day retreat at Blue Cliff Monastery, and try to live mindfully and in the present moment.

- I have taken a personal vow not to drink any liquor due to the misery and despair that alcohol causes around the world. I have no problem with friends and family drinking socially around me and I share such occasions with a nice cool drink of water.

- I continue to practice, and enjoy a 21 year old marriage to a wonderful, supportive and loving wife and to support my two boys as they transition into adulthood and learn to become self sustaining adults.

- I have come to terms with the strong (most likely) possibility that my 20 year career in IT will soon end in it's present form as my company is currently working on outsourcing my department.

- I have re-ordered the priorities in my life and because of this I realize that my job is not me, it is simply a job and so when it finally ends I will simply find an alternate job to provide enough income so that my family and I can continue to live our lives and all the activities that we enjoy daily.

With all these changes I now have more energy than ever before, I'm in the best shape to date, have slimmed down to the same weight and waist size that I was in my college days and do more in any given day that I had done in a whole week before I decide to "eat, pray and love".

I went to see the movie with my wife and we both enjoyed it a lot. Sure it's a Hollywood movie, and it is somewhat of a travelogue but it is also geared to the movie-going audiences who are used to superficial, mindless and numbing entertainment.

Very inspiring Olarte, you have a great attitude. I wonder do you know Jeff Benoit. He is my wife's cousin from Connecticut and attends retreats at Blue Cliff with his family.
  • edited November 2010
    chanratt wrote: »
    Very inspiring Olarte, you have a great attitude. I wonder do you know Jeff Benoit. He is my wife's cousin from Connecticut and attends retreats at Blue Cliff with his family.

Thanks Chanratt, sorry for the lete reply. Yes most times I do try to have a good attitude and it seems to work for me.

Although lately Iv'e felt a bit frustrated on several fronts. Still I have enough trust (I rather not use the word faith :p) in what I have learned in my practice of meditation, to know that like all things this feeling of frustration will also pass.

And so I have not been around much on this board and hence my late reply. But now things are starting to be back to normal mainly because I'm trying to be consistent with my routine and practice of meditation, exercise, healthy eating, and study of classical guitar.

As for Jeff, no I don't know him by name as I only attended the one retreat so far and there were a few hundered people in attendance.

Blue Cliff is a nice environment and only about a 4 hour drive from Mass, so I'm sure I'll be going there again within the next year.

Ivan
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited November 2010
    yea Olarte I have kicked my practice up a gear and try to get to worcester zen center.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Barra wrote: »
    "nobody in real life has a life like that......"

It's the movies. Sorry, but what a strange thought to leave the movies with.

I loved the movie and recommended it to family. But then, as bad as I am, I'm no movie snob. I ask only one thing from a movie: to be transported out of my skin for 90 minutes (or less or more) without the need to take a bunch of nerve pills to keep me in my seat.

I don't ask to compose, cut, or direct movies, but when somebody essentially splices three different movies together I am left, well, impressed.
  • edited November 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I've got to agree with you, TB (hmm, that may be an unfortunate abbreviation!). I gave up watching TV altogether years ago as I couldn't take the crap that spewed forth on it and especially I couldn't stand watching anything with commercials. I sometimes housesat for a friend who traveled on business a lot, and she had cable with all the channels (free, as she worked for the cable company). I would literally be amazed that I could go through over 100 channels and not find one thing worth watching! Even channels like the History Channel, which I used to enjoy, had descended to meaningless pap like UFOs and such that appeal to a large audience but have absolutely nothing at all remotely to do with history. So I just stopped watching, and quite frankly I don't miss it the least little bit.

Same for movies in general, especially the Hollywood drek that the studios churn out, heavy on CGI and loud noise, totally devoid of any ability to actually tell a story. I did go see Inception because I thought Memento was really good (though the actual storyline was kind of stupid), but I had the same problem with Inception, namely that the idea was very clever and even thought provoking but the story line again was very pedestrian. I do go for indie movies though. I just saw Winter's Bone, a pretty bleak story about meth cookers in Missouri, which was excellent. Movies like that really show samsara for what it is - shit (despite the overly happy ending in Winter's Bone)! But movies made simply for entertainment (i.e. to make the studios rich) hold absolutely no interest for me. I've renounced being a Pavlovian dog. :crazy:

Palzang

anyone remember when mtv was real legit music television? What is this 16 and pregnant crap? or the real life... blah blah. I too have almost given up television.
  • I just watched this movie last night. I ordered the book today. I do not waste my time watching tv or movies that will fill my unconscious with things that are contrary to my growth. I believe in life long learning and that everyone who crosses our path has a lesson for us if we only choose to be open to it. I put this movie in the top 3 all time movies for me along with "The Secret" and "The Di Vinci Code" which were also life changing. Don't miss the point of the movie getting caught up in the travel and money. The main character tells you in the end that the path can be external or internal. I have never traveled great distances nor would I have 50k right now to plunk down on such a thing...seriously that is besides the point! She asks you to be brave enough in other words forget all the excuses. Seek truth, be open to all the great possibilities in life because they do exist! Forgive yourself. Learn to master your mind because when you do its all gravy from there on out. Be open to change every single day of your life. Be willing to transform yourself. Face the difficult realities of yourself. Cross over.

Laney Ray
    www.laneyray.org