Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

33 Chilean Miners Trapped, But Found Alive

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Today
I'm sure most of you heard of this. 33 Chilean Miners got trapped in a mine, but all alive. They can get them food and water, but expect that they won't be able to get them out until December. I also read that they haven't told them this yet because they don't want to "break their sprits"

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dfTpdEkWTM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dfTpdEkWTM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

I'm obviously not the most reliable source however. What do you all think of this?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    wtf. they can't get out till December!!?? why?
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I guess the mine collapsed a certain way where they're scared to blow a hole anywhere near the area they're at because they might get crushed and die, so they're going to start a whole new tunnel which will take til then.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    the worst part is that the mining company was fined 2 years ago for not having security ladders in place. had they have installed them, these miners would have been able to get out a mere 48 hours after the collapse. instead, when they went to where the ladders were supposed to be... they found nothing.
  • edited August 2010
    god. just think about living there for almost 4 months.
    there are so many things that could go wrong. What if someone gets ill and requires a doctors attention.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I saw on the news this morning that they've lowered a video camera down and the miners are recording messages for their loved ones. They looked to be in VERY good spirits though so I suspect that Vagabond is correct; they have not been told how long it will take to get them out.
  • edited August 2010
    Here is a good description of their living conditions: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/08/27/chile.mine.conditions/index.html

I get claustrophobic just reading about it... *shrug*

Metta to all, especially those miners.
  • edited August 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I saw on the news this morning that they've lowered a video camera down and the miners are recording messages for their loved ones. They looked to be in VERY good spirits though so I suspect that Vagabond is correct; they have not been told how long it will take to get them out.

:(
    yes they might be thinking that they are going to get out any minute. So sad. :sadc:
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited September 2010
    they might get out before december, because of new machinery..thats what they havent told them. Here even some authorities where saying on tv "its almost 100% fact they are dead", so was a surprise...
  • edited September 2010
    ^^^ contradictory news... they are dead???
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited September 2010
    no, very alive
  • edited September 2010
    ^^ Thank goodness. Thanks for the confirm .