Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

seeing/knowing/thinking of a thought/thougts

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited September 2010 in Philosophy
is there any difference between seeing (knowing) a thought
and
thinking of a thought?

what happens if we can see a thought?
what happens if we are thinking of a thought?

what exactly is a thought? (not grammatical explanation please)

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    and
    thinking of a thought?
    Yes. Are you having trouble seeing the difference?
  • edited August 2010
    In buddhist epistimology the mind is able to see something at the exclusion of everything else. For instance

Apple is red , this makes the mind delete everything that is orange, watermellon, etc. by singling in on apple. Then it makes all yellow green etc apples excluded by the label red.

This is how the mind sees in conventional language, It imputes conceptual labels upon reality and sort of morphs the object of direct perception into a conceptual object.

Hope that helps.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    what experience does 'thinking' point to? What experience does 'seeing' point to? I am also curious....
  • edited August 2010
    it not about thinking different thoughts its about relating through a different "mind". I heard it explained that seeing is like images being portrayed on the screen of a theather. Thinking is the manupulation behind the images light. But the nature of the light is not defiled by the images on the screen or its "colors". This is kinda like the answer to your question.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Just posted this in another forum under my Dharma name Kojip.

It seems relevent......

When beginning meditation I, typically, struggled with thought. Then over time, instead of being drawn into the content of thought at the expense of my immediate sense reality, I became aware of thought as a simple immediate sense occasion, somewhat like seeing a painting and affirming the painted surface at the expense of what it represents. Breaking the belief in a one-to-one correspondence between a thought-symbol and what it represents became the direction in practice. For instance, before if I parked my car and came inside I would think "the car is outside" and assume the thought was the reality. Yet I found that I could go outside and discover that the car had been towed. The correspondence between my thoughts and the world they represent diverge exponentially outward in space and time, like the cone of uncertainty in hurricane prediction. The thought "this computer is black" is a better functional match than "next Tuesday the sun will shine for two hours". With time and practice thought can now present as a simple sensation and symbolic representation without loss of ground in immediate presence.
  • edited August 2010
    An interesting inquiry to look into is: what is seen when mind is not thinking?

Don't watch the thoughts
    Let them pass
    Look at the space between thoughts
    Cultivate that

When space between thoughts
    Are seen as they are
    Turn in the seat of that consciousness
    And look there
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010
    pintor wrote: »
    An interesting inquiry to look into is: what is seen when mind is not thinking?
    when seeing a thought as a thought, is there anything to cling?
  • edited August 2010
    when seeing a thought as a thought, is there anything to cling?

Maybe yes, maybe no. What is a thought?

Best regards
    p
    edited August 2010
    What is a thought?
    What is thought? Don't know, cant say. But there is a simple sensory phenomena we call thought. The fact that attention to bodily sensation can be lost by absorption into thought, then once again regained. Awareness of one's immediate physical environment can be stolen by thought, then this is noticed and awareness of the physical environment returned. This attests to the presence of a sensory phenomena. The "content" of this simple sensory phenomena is a symbolic representation of sense reality, an abstraction or reduction. There is the direct experiencing of.... (slaps the table)...this is not an abstraction. Of course writing about this is a bit absurd for obvious reasons.......
  • edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    What is thought? Don't know, cant say. But there is a simple sensory phenomena we call thought. The fact that attention to bodily sensation can be lost by absorption into thought, then once again regained. Awareness of one's immediate physical environment can be stolen by thought, then this is noticed and awareness of the physical environment returned. This attests to the presence of a sensory phenomena. The "content" of this simple sensory phenomena is a symbolic representation of sense reality, an abstraction or reduction. There is the direct experiencing of.... (slaps the table)...this is not an abstraction. Of course writing about this is a bit absurd for obvious reasons.......

Mental events are mind moving, no more no less. But there is no coming and going in mind. When seen for what it is, that experience of sensing movement, where there is none, ought to wear out.

Movement seems to be there, but it leaves no trace. If there is no trace was it there or not? Who knows?

Utterly empty and awake.

Best regards
    p
    edited August 2010
    Mental events are mind moving, no more no less.
    Mind moving? What is moving? Experiencing of mental events ......that's all .... Just that. That is all there is here.
    But there is no coming and going in mind. When seen for what it is, that experience of sensing movement, where there is none, ought to wear out.
    There is this experiencing moving, it goes like that. No background essence. There is no background stillness. Experiencing moving alone. There is stillness in the moving alone.
    Movement seems to be there, but it leaves no trace. If there is no trace was it there or not? Who knows?
    There is no seeming in it, there is no seeming. Because there is no other.
    Utterly empty and awake.
    Ok. I trust that is your experience. But I can only speak from here.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010
    those who do not agree to pintor and/or richard can catch a thought and reflect on it

what is thought?
    it is always a historical experience of a thing or a person (incident)

what is a historical experience?
    an experience gained through eyes, ears, nose, mouth, body

another thing to reflect on
    can a past thought become a thought again?
    edited August 2010
    those who do not agree to pintor and/or richard can catch a thought and reflect on it?
    I think you are not catching where we are coming from, and Pintor and I may not be on the same page either. Though I suspect we may be.
    what is thought?
    it is always a historical experience of a thing or a person (incident)?
    This opens an interesting can of worms. We cannot experience the past, only a memory trace (image) in the present, likewise we cannot experience the future, only our imaging of it in the present.
    what is a historical experience?
    an experience gained through eyes, ears, nose, mouth, body?
    ok
    another thing to reflect on
    can a past thought become a thought again?
    Yes in fact our percieved past consists of memories of memories of memories , re-edited everytime it is re-remembered. Thoughts are flashcards, picture symbols, but they can line up in useful way.
  • edited August 2010
    Mind moving? What is moving? Experiencing of mental events ......that's all .... Just that. That is all there is here.

There is this experiencing moving, it goes like that. No background essence. There is no background stillness. Experiencing moving alone. There is stillness in the moving alone.

There is no seeming in it, there is no seeming. Because there is no other.

Ok. I trust that is your experience. But I can only speak from here.

You can't trust my experience Richard, but I take those as kind words anyway.

Confusing mental events as experience is a limitation of samsara. That is a classic view from Atiyoga. In general mahayana the mind itself cannot be a valid object for experience since it is empty and by nature not an object...you know the heart sutra. There is no experiencing, remember, no eye, no ear, no nose and so on. There is a point to that meaning besides 'emptiness'.

To say there is no experience however is also a provisional view since we know we experience. The dichotomy to be resolved is when is experience confused and when is it suchness?

But this is far from Uppeka's question.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I think you are not catching where we are coming from,
    there is no doubt that whenever you (pintor and richard) come, you come within the mind itself and no where else
    however mindfulness is not present always
    We cannot experience the past, only a memory trace (image) in the present, likewise we cannot experience the future, only our imaging of it in the present.
    true

in fact our percieved past consists of memories of memories of memories , re-edited everytime it is re-remembered.

isn't this the way we confirm and re-confirm our wrong view?
    edited August 2010
    there is no doubt that whenever you (pintor and richard) come, you come within the mind itself and no where else?
    This is where both pintor an you differ from my experience . This ever present "Mind" you refer to. It is not here.
    however mindfulness is not present always?
    true:o

isn't this the way we confirm and re-confirm our wrong view?
    It's definitely our life view, self image, narrative, etc.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010
    This is where both pintor an you differ from my experience . This ever present "Mind" you refer to. It is not here.

now a question arises

what does 'Mind' mean now?

is it consciousness (vinnana)
    or
    is it awareness (knowing)?
  • edited August 2010
    now a question arises

or

Upekka

Those are great questions to examine for yourself. Distinguishing the difference is essential. Different traditions have different views on this subject which can be confusing.

Since you seem to have affinity to the Theravada tradition I have pasted this:

-snip-
    Sitting here, our bodies are in a tranquil posture. The knowing is abiding within the heart, and each one of us is aware. This present knowing is our true mind. The conditioned mind of thought and proliferation is almost like a demon. Through its actions external phenomena tend to become preoccupations which then obstruct or destroy meditation. But if the meditator grounds himself in the present moment then he is able to make use of the various meditation techniques. He may develop inner recitation for example or perhaps focus on parts of the physical body such as head hair, body hair, nails, teeth, skin, sinews and bones. When contemplation of the body ensues in perception of its unattractiveness, or of its constituent elements of hardness, cohesion, temperature and vibration*[1]*then that is meditation. When the mind is at peace in the recitation of "Buddho," then that too is meditation. And the meditator is the mind.

The mind itself has no color, shape, or form, but it has energy. It is our duty to let go of and abandon the conditioned, proliferating mind. But the mind of present knowing, that which concentrates on Buddha, listens to Dhamma and reflects on its meaning, having been clearly observed, that true mind should be developed. In this case to "develop" means to give care and attention to establishing it in peace. Peace comes by countering the out-going stream of mentality and penetrating this present knowing.

The normal unrestrained mind is absorbed by the thought-consciousness seeking distraction. Go against the stream by looking at the source of mental activity. It originates from this knowing. The source of the mind lies within us. However this knowing is nothing substantial. It has no color, form or shape in the way that material objects do. It is a formless element. -snip- Looang Boo Sim more here:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/sim/simplyso.html

Best regards

P
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited September 2010
    now a question arises

or
    You used a pali word for consciousness... do you have a pali word for awareness?

Is there an awareness separate from vijnana? For clarifications: Are you saying there is an existing knower of vijnana called awareness (even though I highly doubt you mean this)? Or are you talking about a quality of mind, like prajna (wisdom), or sati (mindfulness)?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited September 2010
    and
    thinking of a thought?

You can't see thoughts, but you can see the results of those thought nearly everywhere.

1. It's like seeing a flash.
    2. Sounds weird, but that's what you do 99% of your time ( supposing that 1% represents the period in which you sleep).

3. I personally don't know exactly.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I can be completely mixing up ideas, but to me a thought its a personal opinion of a conciousness, and thinking of a thought its personal opinion of a personal opinion -_-.

Example:

Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye, lets say consciousness of an apple.No speech, no Analytical speech, just knowing in a sutile way its an apple.

From consciousness of an apple a thought arise about that consciousness, "a personal idea about that", "an history, a speech, analytical thought".

Then, dependent on the intellect & mental qualities there arises intellect-consciousness,
    Lets say conciousness about a mental quality-analytical thought, "a sutile way of knowing im thinking in a analytical way"

And at least from consciousness of a thought of an apple a thought arise about that consciousness, "a personal idea about that personal idea", "a personal idea about that movement-thinking"

I repeat, i can be wrong -_-.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    and
    thinking of a thought?

You would have to meditate to realise such answers, not ask on an internet forum :p
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    . do you have a pali word for awareness?

yoniso manasikara
    Is there an awareness separate from vijnana?
    yes

for example, when we say 'we see the computer screen', we take the 'seeing+computer screen' as one entity and we are conscious to the computer screen
    this is what happen to us all the time
    this will be what happen to us all the time unless we can not understand Buddha's Teaching
    are you talking about a quality of mind, like prajna (wisdom), or sati (mindfulness)?
    yes
    if we are mindful, if we have sati, if we have yoniso-manasikara, we do not cling to the 'computer screen', we are not with ignoranace (avijja) so do not create any sankhara (kamma-formation)

when there is no kamma-formation, there is no place for Consciousness to reside on

one thought moment arisen and fallen away without any residual to come back again in future
    in other words, in one thought moment there is no Dependent-arising activated
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    You can't see thoughts,
    with our eyes we can not see thought

but

with mind (when you develop the technique) we can see thoughts
    what exactly is thought
    whatever we experienced through our six sense bases (eye, ear etc.) would come back to mind as thoughts
    these past experiences can be from this life time itself or from a previous life time
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    You would have to meditate to realise such answers,
    absolutely
    not ask on an internet forum :p
    can not agree to this because i have the experience that experienced practitioners can provide guide lines for those who need guide lines

to give credit to where credit is due,
    xabir in another forum (bswa forum) gave me valuable advices and guide lines for my meditation practice and i get immense help form them and i am indebted to xabir for it

not only xabir many other forum members (bswa) helped me in many ways to develop my meditation practice

my motto is 'Take what is important and Let go of unimportant topics'
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    to me a thought its a personal opinion of a conciousness,
    yes, this can be a thought
    thinking of a thought its personal opinion of a personal opinion
    again yes, this can be a thought :).

important thing is, if we can note that thought is a thought, we do not go on making personal opinion on such thought, and think over it more and more (making mano-kamma) or do something based on such opinion (making kaya-kamma) or speak based on such opinion (making vacci-kamma)

rather than giving an example it is advisable to ask,
    just close your eyes and take whatever thought that comes into your mind now
    there should be a person or a thing

if we do not see this is just a thought, our mind take the person/thing in the thought as something/someone outside of us
    but if we can be mindful or skillful to catch the thought as a thought, then we do not build more and more stories on that thought thinking the person/thing is real
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited September 2010
    yoniso manasikara

yes

for example, when we say 'we see the computer screen', we take the 'seeing+computer screen' as one entity and we are conscious to the computer screen
    this is what happen to us all the time
    this will be what happen to us all the time unless we can not understand Buddha's Teaching

yes
    if we are mindful, if we have sati, if we have yoniso-manasikara, we do not cling to the 'computer screen', we are not with ignoranace (avijja) so do not create any sankhara (kamma-formation)

when there is no kamma-formation, there is no place for Consciousness to reside on

one thought moment arisen and fallen away without any residual to come back again in future
    in other words, in one thought moment there is no Dependent-arising activated
    Thanks for your wonderful explanation :)

Now I understand what it means when Buddha said,

"Consciousness without surface, without end, luminous all around, does not partake of the solidity of earth, the liquidity of water, the radiance of fire, the windiness of wind, the divinity of devas [and so on through a list of the various levels of godhood to] the allness of the All."
    — MN 49
    edited September 2010
    You can't see thoughts, but you can see the results of those thought nearly everywhere.

1. It's like seeing a flash.
    2. Sounds weird, but that's what you do 99% of your time ( supposing that 1% represents the period in which you sleep).

3. I personally don't know exactly.

We can definitely see thoughts, they are clearly delineated sense experiences. It does take practice. At first we are immersed in thoughts and everything is seen through the veil of thought, everything has spin, but with alot of cushion time thoughts are thrown into relief. There is a point where the assumed thinker dissolves, and thoughts are clearly flowing of their own accord, ownerless. It is easy (at least for me) to get drawn into thought-identity without regular sitting, because some thoughts, like those that compose self-images, are deeply habituated.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thought is a natural function of mind. Finding mind to be a referenceless ocean of space allows the dualistic knot to untie itself. Sinking in to thought-identity or fading away to oblivious drowse inhibits spontaneous clarity. Where is the fine line between dualistic vision and the cognition of liberation?
    edited September 2010
    Where is the fine line between dualistic vision and the cognition of liberation?
    Removing the trace of liberation. There was once a farmhouse on the spot where this house now stands. People who saw the farmhouse saw both it and its absence once it was torn down. People who came later may have heard about the farmhouse. They could not see a farm house, but they could see its absence. Now people come who do not know about the farm house. They do not see a farmhouse, and they do not see the absence of a farmhouse. Not seeing the absence of the farmhouse is tracelessness.
    edited September 2010
    I liked the worm that only knew two words better. "Let go". Negation of non-referentiality seems like a card trick....a good one....but.....well.....thought.....out......
    So "thought" seen and/or thunk (that's a great alliterative past participle/homonym - thunk! - like when my forehead hits the table.) is a vehicle for recognition of non-existence - providing one can reduce the reference point to pointlessness.....
    Are then mind and awareness merely the shadows of consciousness that coalesce to bring clarity, or sight to thoughts, whether referential or not? Conversely, are no-mind and non-awareness the same as not seeing the absence of referentiality?
    edited September 2010
    I see what you are getting at, wiping away the wiping away marks. But there is a practice that is non-tricky, not thought-out, and very straightforward. It is burning up in simple, traceless awakeness.
    edited September 2010
    Is that I that sees what I am getting at the same I that burns in traceless awakeness within non-tricky practice?
    Not trying to be a smart-ass, it's just that the I we refer to is at once a habitual, well thought out self image and a manifestation of clear and present awareness - arising and falling away continuously, infinitely. Choosing between them sounds suspiciously like craving and aversion.
    edited September 2010
    Smart ass is ok. Sitting Zazen is a choice, but once the choice is made and the form given into, choosing is relinquished. There is the practice. It stands alone. That aloneness deepens. At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass and a cliche, you can only think about it so much then you have to do it, and do it alot.

...now you may take that and say... whatever... but since I'm not heavily invested in convincing you of something I'll be happy to leave it at that.

You do have a good name ...... Iron Rabbit. Like that.
    edited September 2010
    Convincing not required - thinking and questioning unavoidable - dialogue appreciated.

Deepening aloneness sounds daunting yet strangely familiar.......

Nice weiner dog.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    absolutely

can not agree to this because i have the experience that experienced practitioners can provide guide lines for those who need guide lines

to give credit to where credit is due,
    xabir in another forum (bswa forum) gave me valuable advices and guide lines for my meditation practice and i get immense help form them and i am indebted to xabir for it

not only xabir many other forum members (bswa) helped me in many ways to develop my meditation practice

my motto is 'Take what is important and Let go of unimportant topics'

As long as you don't mistake understanding, for genuine insight, then perhaps it is OK but that is not always so easy.

Bless.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thoughts are sounds in my head with shape, movement, location and energy. They were caused by previous thoughts, emotions, feelings, actions and sense perceptions. They led to further thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions. That's what I experienced when I started meditating on the nature of thoughts. However, meditative investigation showed this to be false. If you seriously want to investigate the nature of thoughts then I would suggest looking into mahamudra practices as their entire focus is the relationship of our mind with the phenomenal world.
    edited September 2010
    As to the OP of which I completely disregarded (sorry), I think :) that "thinking" is more of an action, something that you volitionally perform and "seeing" is the process of observing the thought. In this context they would both occur simultaneously, though I'm not sure how that sits with the scholarly interpretation of these things?
    edited September 2010
    In general mahayana the mind itself cannot be a valid object for experience since it is empty and by nature not an object...you know the heart sutra. There is no experiencing, remember, no eye, no ear, no nose and so on.

I am not sure what the doctrinal position on this is, but I think that this is too literal. Emptiness and its object co-exists, emptiness does not mean that the object does not exist. So, assuming my thoughts are correct, the mind can be an object even though it doesn't inherently exist, because it is co-arisen with its emptiness. Form is emptiness....emptiness is form.....mind is emptiness....emptiness is mind. I think no form, no eye, ..... is path language. I don't see this as inconsistent with general mahayana.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    As to the OP of which I completely disregarded (sorry),
    it is obvious you regarded it otherwise you would not answer in anyway:)
    I think :) that "thinking" is more of an action, something that you volitionally perform and "seeing" is the process of observing the thought.
    if we have any doubts, we have to think it/meditate on it again and again until we see clearly
    then we do not have to say 'I think'
    In this context they would both occur simultaneously, though I'm not sure how that sits with the scholarly interpretation of these things?
    edited September 2010
    it is obvious you regarded it otherwise you would not answer in anyway:)

if we have any doubts, we have to think it/meditate on it again and again until we see clearly
    then we do not have to say 'I think'
    Possibly, but then we have to play fabricated mental gymnastics to communicate with other people. Whereas saying "I think" may be the best way to talk even though it may not be technically correct. If the words "I think" occur spontaneously then should they not be used? I think they should :)

Cheers, WK
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    then we have to play fabricated mental gymnastics to communicate with other people.
    that is why we should practice 'yoniso-manasikara' (mindfulness) , 'sati-sampajangnga' (mindfulness with wisdom)

practice makes us perfect
    Whereas saying "I think" may be the best way to talk even though it may not be technically correct.
    if it is not correct, why should we say it?
    If the words "I think" occur spontaneously then should they not be used? I think they should :)
    if it occur spontaneously
    1. there couldn't be a question of should we use it or shouldn't we use it
    2. a good indicator that we still have to practice mindfulness