Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting CNN piece about religion in America

Comments

• edited August 2010
    David Wheaton, an Atlanta high school senior, says many of his peers aren't excited about Christianity because they don't see the payoff.
    "If they can't see benefits immediately, they stay away from it," Wheaton says. "They don't want to make sacrifices."

I have an idea: ask them to sacrifice TVs/iPhones/Facebooks for 20 minutes a day to sit quietly and focus on the breath instead. Payoff from that will come fairly quickly. Then start talking to them about all the other stuff. Small steps.
  • edited September 2010
    I have an idea: ask them to sacrifice TVs/iPhones/Facebooks for 20 minutes a day to sit quietly and focus on the breath instead. Payoff from that will come fairly quickly. Then start talking to them about all the other stuff. Small steps.

it is very hard for them to do that. :D
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone else think CNN increasingly resembles a tabloid ? :D
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010

Nah I rather like CNN Bo...It makes a Drastic change from watching Aunty :)
    edited September 2010
    haha OK I find CNN very poor these couple of years, a lot of their segments are very sensationalist and many of their presenters...well.. It's increasingly hard to find deep, thoughtful journalism nowadays IMO but I guess they're just responding to our needs. It's a cycle as usual, I guess *shrugs*

_/\_
  • edited September 2010
    that was kinda wierd. I don't know what to say. very controversial. Don't know the actual helpfulness of such writings. It seemed to be more of a " you can't control you kids with religion anymore mom and dad! " article. LOL
  • edited September 2010

CNN is OK
  • edited September 2010
    haha OK I find CNN very poor these couple of years, a lot of their segments are very sensationalist and many of their presenters...well.. It's increasingly hard to find deep, thoughtful journalism nowadays IMO but I guess they're just responding to our needs. It's a cycle as usual, I guess *shrugs*

_/\_

do you watch the international edition or the regional edition?
  • edited September 2010
    Here is something marginally relevant: A study done by Cambridge University found that mindfulness meditation increases well-being in adolescent boys. Now we need to do a study on how to get adolescent boys to agree to perform mindfulness meditation :-)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100901111720.htm
    edited September 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    do you watch the international edition or the regional edition?

I think this one I am watching is regional but I'm not sure actually. I turned to Al-Jazeera after all the crap that goes on for CNN and they actually seem much more credible and unsensationalist.