Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is it possiable to be a householder monk?

with my long-held(sometimes) dis-interest in things, i was pondering the above question:

or how far can i go in that direction? how many precepts would be applicable for this situation?

Comments

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It depends on the lineage you're in. A Theravadan monk would not be able to because of the long list of vows that they have to keep. In the Zen tradition there are lots of householder monks. In the zen community that I was involved in until recently, there is a full time monk - young guy with a wife and 2 kids. It works for him, and for the community.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited August 2010
    there are lay monk and lay nun system in Mahayana,
    but I do not know if it has in Theravada, I suppose since they do not nun system anymore - those white robe nuns you see in the Theravada countries - techically they are actually defined as lay nuns
  • edited August 2010
    there may not be as many nuns in theravada as in mahayana, but there are nuns there. i just finished reading a book written by a group of them.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi TB,

You could try keeping the 8 precepts which are basically the same as the 5 precepts but also includes celibacy, not eating after midday, not indulging in sleep, no entertainment (e.g. YouTube...except of course channels like DhammaTube and BSWA). So it is somewhat similar to how a Theravadin Bhikkhu lives.

However, the 8 precepts allow you to still drive a car, handle money (which monks cannot) so you can still go to work and buy food, etc.

I hope this helps. :)

With Metta,

Guy
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Bhikkhunis in Theravada
    The traditional appearance of Theravadan bhikkhunis is nearly identical to that of male monks, including a shaved head, shaved eyebrows and saffron robes. In some countries, nuns wear dark chocolate robes or sometimes the same colour as monks. White or pink robes are worn by Theravadan nuns who are not fully ordained. These nuns are known as dasa sila mata in Sri Lanka, silashin in Myanmar (Burma) and siladharas (which originated at Amaravati Monastery, in the United Kingdom, and is spreading globally).
    In the Theravada tradition, some scholars believe that the bhikkhuni lineage became extinct in the 11th to 13th centuries, and that no new bhikkhunis could be ordained since there were no bhikkhunis left to give ordination. For this reason, the leadership of the Theravada bhikkhu Sangha in Burma and Thailand deem fully ordained bhikkhunis as "untrue."[26] Based on the spread of the bhikkhuni lineage to countries like China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and Sri Lanka, other scholars support ordination of Theravadan bhikkhunis.[27]
    Dr.Chatsumarn Kabilsingh, now known as Dhammananda Bhikkhuni, is a Thai scholar who took bhikkhuni ordination in Sri Lanka and returned to Thailand, where bhikkhuni ordination is forbidden and can result in arrest or imprisonment for a woman.[28] She is considered a pioneer by many in Thailand and a "devil" by others.
    The first Theravadan bhikkhuni ordination in Australia was held in Perth, October 22, 2009, at Bodhinyana Monastery. Four nuns from Dhammasara Nun's Monastery, Venerable Ajahn Vayama (Abbess), and Venerables Nirodha, Seri and Hasapanna, were ordained as bhikkhunis by a dual sangha act of bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, in full accordance with the Pali vinaya

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=70,1295,0,0,1,0; Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, 24.2 (2007)
    theravadabuddhism.org
    "Ordained at Last". Shambala Sun. 2003-00-00. http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/issues/2003/summer/dhammananda.html. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/31803/a-garland-for-the-bhikkhunis-of-perth
  • edited August 2010
    You may find this helpful: The Bhikkhu's Rules: A Guide for Laypeople. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    What would you like to get out of the monastic lifestyle?
  • edited August 2010
    stilness
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    A very good little book on the subject can be had on Amazon:
    "Ordinary People As Monks And Mystics"
    Lifestyles for Self-Discovery (and updated Lifestyles for Spiritual Wholeness)
    by: Marsha Sinetar
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Well, you can go pretty much all the way in that direction, if you're accrued sufficient resources. I know a woman who did a three-year retreat that way. Cost her about AU$20k, since she owned her own home.
  • edited August 2010
    guy c,

i can follow seven of the eight, but is it allowable to amend #3 to refraining from misconduct, since i'm married with children? i had a longer relpy, but got logged out somehow b4 i could post it :(
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi TB,

Long Answer:

Sure, you can take as many precepts as you like. They are not rules imposed on you by someone else, they are taken up voluntarily according to your circumstances. The five precepts are usually the precepts taken by householders because they will at least protect you from harm. The five precepts are also known as the "harmless precepts" for this reason. You can still have sex with your partner if you take the five precepts.

The eight precepts are designed for those who wish to live a life dedicated primarily to meditation practice. Sex, entertainment, perfume, luxurious beds, etc. (which are allowed in the five precepts, but not in the eight precepts) are not harmful or immoral, but they are also not conducive to developing inner-peace. These things all stir up the mind which is moving in the opposite direction to meditation practice.

This is not to say that we cannot meditate if we have sex, watch entertainments, etc. But it does mean that certain lifestyles are going to be more conducive or less conducive to stillness which in turn leads to wisdom which in turn leads to Nibbana. You can still live a good life (and leading a harmless life is very supportive of meditation practice) as a lay person, you can even make considerable spiritual progress on the path...

...BUT...

...For those who have the opportunity (no commitments, debts, etc.) AND the inclination to ordain - it may be more beneficial to do so than to stay at home...

...BUT...

...There are no absolutes which apply to all people in all situations. The most important thing is to do our best with whatever our situation happens to be.

Short Answer:

The eight precepts would not be suitable for a married person. If you want to put a bit more focus on meditation practice every now and then you can go on a meditation retreat (which IMO are very beneficial).

I hope this helps to clarify the purpose of the five and eight precepts.

With Metta,

Guy