Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling ugly

edited September 2010 in General Banter
Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster here. I do recognise a lot of the posters here from the old buddhachat.org site so hello to anyone who remembers me and hello to everybody who doesn't - I've learnt a lot from all the posts I've read here so I owe you all a big thank you.

So I feel the need to post today because I've been out with some work friends and find myself feeling very low now that I'm home. I'm usually a very quietly happy sort of person and try to bring myself back to mindfulness as often as I remember to during my daily life but the one thing that always makes me struggle with my practice is my feeling of inadequacy about my appearance. As a young-ish (28) girl, I struggle with the feeling that I'm ugly and I find it very hard to let these thoughts appear and cease without clinging on to them with the subsequent feeling of depression that inevitably follows.

I realise that there's nothing I can do about my external appearance and it shouldn't matter to me but I do find it very difficult to remain in a state of equanimity when confronted with unkind people drawing attention to and openly telling me that I'm unattractive. I find it difficult not to feel envious of friends who are lucky enough to be beautiful.

I don't really know what question I'm asking here but just felt the need to unload a little ... so sorry for that. Life just seems to me to be much more difficult if you aren't blessed with external beauty ... or maybe the attention that beautiful people naturally receive isn't the sort of attention I want anyway. I just find it difficult to deal with people actually telling me to my face that I'm ugly. I don't know ... I've probably had way too much to drink and this post probably hasn't made much sense but I've typed it now so I'm going to press "submit" anyway.

Thank you for reading - and apologies for whining about insignificant things.

Metta

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Perhaps you have a nice picture of yourself that you could post in the welcome/pictures of yourself thread?

You've highlighted the importance of knocking around with the right people, people who won't judge you or influence you in feeling low.

I think that everyone has something beautiful about them, but anyway, we're not ornaments even when all the signs point in that direction and it's often how we make people feel more than how we appear.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I can totally relate to you medusa because I have considered myself to not be physically attractive, mainly in within my face since I was maybe 16. It has caused me many problems and really gets to me, I know it is superficial and there are ways to live a happy and peaceful life without these notions. But yea, I broke my nose when I was about 15 and never went to the hospital and it was really broken lol. It makes my face so unsymmetrical and I think symmetry is one key aspect to what people class as attractive when it comes to the face. It is so annoying though because the face is who we base our self on mostly and wherever you go people do judge you, friends strangers whoever. I am sure there are people who don't judge but the key here seems to be able to change your opinion on the matter and your take on it.

One way I think is to focus on the positive aspects in our life, to understand that we exaggerate the negative and focus on them instead. This is one major downfall of modern day society.

As I have also said in a previous thread, if we can understand the concept of non self and dependent origination then this would help a lot of this specific problem I think. I am so far away from being happy with myself right now that I can say all of this and am not able to put it into practice. I find it hard sometimes to go outside for a whole day and interact with people, it is that bad.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Medusa,

I too know how you feel, in my teens and early twenties I was very negative about my looks... I was so insecure that I didn't hardly date, had no friends and generally felt worthless. Here's a couple of pictures proving just how ugly I was...

At 17...

an105f.jpg

And Again at 27...

jubg3m.jpg

So, there you see the face of a person who was disgusted with his looks and was frantically insecure about who he was as a person. Now, looking back, I think, my God... where was my head at??? And therein hangs the tale.

The Buddha said, "With our thoughts we make the world, all that we are arises with our thoughts". I'm just as sure, you are a wonderful person. Someone a person would be proud to call a friend, a lover, a soul-mate. You just need to start taking some positive comments on board. Anytime you want some of those, feel free to PM me...

Les
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I just find it difficult to deal with people actually telling me to my face that I'm ugly.
    Practice metta and direct loving kindness towards yourself and these people. If you can sincerly do that, their comments will not bother you anymore and you will no longer feel ugly. That is a guarantee! :)
    edited August 2010
    It seems so simple but every time I come to leave the house I have to be actually mentally prepared, it is that bad. I have had this notion of directing metta at myself and people before, maybe I have not done it enough or properly I don't know. If I could be happy with who I am as a person that would be the best gift ever! I mean I know I am not a bad person but this one aspect rules my life. I will proceed to try metta meditation though and see what happens, thank you and I hope medusa can use your advice also :)
  • edited August 2010
    I always laugh when my over the hill, overweight out of shape plain looking friends (guys) sit around commenting and judging women 1/2 their age. I wonder if they ever look in the mirror and what they see. Do they really think they are all that hot to be judging others?

I'm nothing special, yet I'm honest with myself, and have made healthy living and exercise a part of my life not because of how it will make me look but how it makes me feel.

Even 21 years ago, when I had my first date with my wife as she walked to the kitchen to get a beer for me, I looked at her and made the decision that her slightly overweight "problem" would never be an issue. She is a wonderful beautiful woman and I who have also been overweight most of my life up to recently (having lost 70 lbs and maintaining it) decided right then and there to like and love her for the beautiful woman that she is inside and outside.

Medusa I'm sure that you are a beautiful person in many many ways and your honesty and willingness to share your feelings her is one of many signs of the beauty that you posses.

Don't let others judge you by your appearance as I suspect most are simply reflecting their own insecurity and fears about themselves.

You are beautiful and you need to believe that in your heart so you can appreciate and love yourself the way you deserve.

No matter how beautiful a person is (by appearance) we all get old, ill, withered and die. It's who we are inside that will stay fresh and beautiful until we exhale our last breath and even then it is what we do in this life, what we accomplish that will leave beautiful memories of who we were for others to remember.

With lots and lots of metta to you!

Ivan
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    ... as she walked to the kitchen to get a beer for me, ...

Ivan

Ivan,

Any woman who will go to get you a beer, IS A KEEPER!!!! :lol:

Les
    edited August 2010
    yes well that is all well and good saying that we all get old and wither, but if I literally hate myself at the age of nearly 22, what shall I do for the next 30 years of my life... I actually started to go to the gym every other day a few months ago and saw progress in my body, but I also realised that this was a false happiness. For one it won;t last forever and secondly I have issues with my nose and face as I have said. So I stopped going to the gym and have TRIED building on true happiness which can only come from within, but have failed as of yet
  • edited August 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    Ivan,

Any woman who will go to get you a beer, IS A KEEPER!!!! :lol:

Les

I guess that was one of many qualities... our first date ended up with us talking until 4am and realizing how much we had in common... flash forward 21 years later, two grown sons, and still the best of friends :D

The funniest part is that we met in a laundromat when we weren't looking and she was getting ready to move back from NYC to Massachusetts...

Despite our ups and downs over the years we are still very much in love. :)
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited August 2010
    You seem to be hanging out with people who put value on looks and put you down, and I think that would really be depressing.

Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I've always felt that the people who appear the most beautiful to me are the ones who exude inner peace, happiness and warmth.

What is beauty? What defines beauty? What one person finds attractive may completely repel someone else. It's all about perspective. As others mentioned, if you don't have good feelings towards yourself or your appearance, that comes through more than your actual physical looks.

I don't think it's uncommon to be insecure or feel unattractive with the huge emphasis on conventional measures of beauty - even supermodels struggle with their confidence as they work in an industry with an unattainable standard.

It's interesting to me that you chose the name Medusa. I do hope that the ideas here help you find a way to become more comfortable with yourself.
  • edited August 2010

I think we probably all have bad body/face/hair days when we're convinced we look dreadful. One of the best solutions is to look outwards to others and forget 'self' for a while. There are lots of people out there who might appreciate a little help or even just a friendly smile and a chat. Animals too!

:)

• edited August 2010
    lets just put it this way. I was working today and this girl came in whom i instantly was very attracted to.... that is until she started to speak. Her personality and mannerisms were so ugley that instantly I was extremely unnatracted to her. So trust me if people are making you feel this way than you are in the wrong crowd, and it is them who are truely unnatractive
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Medusa wrote: »
    I realise that there's nothing I can do about my external appearance and it shouldn't matter to me but I do find it very difficult to remain in a state of equanimity when confronted with unkind people drawing attention to and openly telling me that I'm unattractive. I find it difficult not to feel envious of friends who are lucky enough to be beautiful.

I don't really know what question I'm asking here but just felt the need to unload a little ... so sorry for that. Life just seems to me to be much more difficult if you aren't blessed with external beauty ... or maybe the attention that beautiful people naturally receive isn't the sort of attention I want anyway. I just find it difficult to deal with people actually telling me to my face that I'm ugly. I don't know ... I've probably had way too much to drink and this post probably hasn't made much sense but I've typed it now so I'm going to press "submit" anyway.

Thank you for reading - and apologies for whining about insignificant things.

Metta

hello medusa :)

firstly, these things are not insignificant because they obviously bother you. feelings of inadequacy are important. i can tell that you are suffering a great deal, my heart goes out to you.

you should realize that anyone who is going to tell you that you are ugly, clearly is not a happy person. perhaps they are more envious of you than you think, or perhaps they are just mean spirited. either way, it is not the actions of a happy and healthy person to make others feel sad for no reason.

and what makes you so sure that life is so much better for your beautiful friends? while you are sitting there thinking, "everything would be so much better if i just looked like HER...", i am willing to bet that your beautiful friends are thinking the exact same thing about someone as well. we're all secretly brimming with insecurities, no matter what anyone says. for years i was convinced i had fat thighs just because a boyfriend of mine called me "thunder thighs". no matter how many people after that told me i didn't, i was always convinced. i think it is human nature to pay attention to the criticisms, but disregard compliments. by doing so, we cause our own suffering. it is silly to remove yourself from the current moment by fantasies of what you believe would make your life complete. all this does is create discontent in the present.

to be perfectly frank, i would rather be unattractive than had to deal with what i have dealt with. objectification is demeaning and irritating. having to leave a job because of a stalker is upsetting. learning that your friends really only want to screw you is depressing. being sexually assaulted is... indescribable. and believing that you somehow caused all of this yourself because of the way you look is very damaging. if it's not for my significant other, i will not dress up or try to make myself "pretty". i used to just wish i was unattractive so everyone would leave me alone. at my job, i don't like attracting clients because i am attractive. i just wish they would take me seriously and not have ulterior motives.

the grass always seems greener on the other side, doesn't it?
  • edited September 2010
    Never met anyone who wasn't beautiful in some way!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I honestly believe that, at least in the US and western culture in general, there are probably more people who hate the way they look than who don't. That I blame almost entirely on Madison Avenue and television. From birth we're bombarded with messages about how to be more physically beautiful, and are shown pictures of "perfect" people - from infants to the aged - in commercials and TV shows.

As I've gotten toward 50, my mother's genes are expressing themselves and my face, like hers, is starting to drip off my skull. My ears are getting bigger (they get bigger your whole life, btw), and like my dad's they're heading toward my shoulders too. Yes, there are days when I really hate the way I look. But in general I've pretty well tried to ignore it and go on with life. How I look is not who I am. It's just the cover of the book.

Mtns
    edited September 2010
    television is partly to blame, I studied graphic design/advertising at university and one thing we learned was how the companies target people and get them to part with thier money. For many years there has been this ideal image, this way we are all meant to look. It is projected on tv, in magazines, in movies, on the streets in advertising, everywhere. The soul purpose of this target on ideology is to make money, to make the fat cats fatter. I am sure it is the cause of a lot of suffering and dissatisfaction in the modern world and I am afraid to say has gone too far to be stopped. These ideaologies are placed so deeply into our way of life and people's thoughts that it has become the way of life. People believe that they have to look this way or own this gadget or have this wealth to be happy, and those who do not are bad people.

One thing we learned in advertising early on is that 'beautiful' people are related to good things, like wealth, cleanliness, happiness etc, and average or ugly models are used to portray unhappiness or a need for change.