Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tips for planning a self-retreat

BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New ZealandNew Zealand Veteran
edited September 2010 in Philosophy
Has anyone got any tips for planning a successful self-retreat?
Links to other sites / guides also gratefully received.

I live on a forest-covered mountainside, complete with small stream and valley. It's the perfect place for a self-retreat.
I plan to set up the small yurt I have, stock up on muesli and easy-to-prepare food, and meditate for a week or so.
Meditating both inside the yurt and outside if the weather allows.

I'm a hiker from way-back, so I know the nuts and bolts of outdoor living... but just looking for other tips...
I've done six 10-day retreats, so I'm not a total retreat-noob...
I suppose a strict timetable would help...
Eating just once a day...
A campfire would be nice, but a distraction I think. It's warm enough here to go without a fire anyway.
I could take an MP3 player and listen to a nightly dhamma talk... do you know of a series of talks suitable for that kind of situation? Continuity of talks from night-to-night is good.

General suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi James,

Here's a series of Dhamma Talks and Q&A sessions which were recorded from a retreat led by Ajahn Brahm: http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/downloads/itemlist/category/28-retreats.html

I hope you have an auspicious retreat!

With Metta,

Guy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    wow.... even seeing a forest-covered mountainside with a stream IS a retreat for me....

Just a question, and not knocking your plans, but - why go anywhere? Why not just be where you are, where you are?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    ... do you know of a series of talks suitable for that kind of situation? Continuity of talks from night-to-night is good.

Try these.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    wow.... even seeing a forest-covered mountainside with a stream IS a retreat for me....

Just a question, and not knocking your plans, but - why go anywhere? Why not just be where you are, where you are?

It sounds wonderful, doesn't it. And I can understand why it may be necessary to remove oneself from the mundane and familiar, however beautiful. Indeed, the beauty can be a distraction in itself. If an mp3 player is included, I would suggest that it contain nothing other than the dharma talks and that they be seriously limited, twice a day, say, for no more than 10 minutes at a time. No books, no paper or writing instruments. A lone retreat is a real challenge and I wish you courage and patience as well as much fruit from your time, James.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    That's the ideal we are all aiming towards, indeed. And I do my best to maintain practise in everyday life.

But where I am is full of distractions, books, the tempting phone and internet, my high and luxurious bed, women, conversation conversation, delicious foods, etc.

Federica, you're an ol'-timer, you know the value of retreat, seclusion.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010

Federica, you're an ol'-timer, you know the value of retreat, seclusion.

Thank you, I take that as a compliment.

And I will tell you that in all my time as a practising Buddhist, (20-odd years) I've never had, nor been able to take the opportunity of attending, or going, or creating my own, retreat.
    I have never, ever done it.

And I have a certain degree of 'benevolent envy' for you. :)
  • edited September 2010
    James (and) the Giant (Peach), that sounds awesome! I share Federica's benign envy: for a retreat in the mountain forests is just what I would love to do, more than almost anything.

It's an opportunity for tremendous growth and self-examination: for really "getting" into yourself, deep.

I also agree with Simon that audio should be kept to a minimum; and in fact, if it were me, I probably wouldn't bring the iPod at all.

Instead, let the sounds of nature be your talk: the wind rustling through the treetops, the birds chirping, the river murmuring. Listen to what the universe has to say to you.

It speaks in a language all but forgotten by wayward humankind, but deep inside us there still lives a place where we can understand it, if only we can strip away the cacophonous residue of "civilization." And that is precisely what a solitary retreat is perfect for.

Please tell us how the retreat went, when you come back.