Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Emptiness again, again

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi all,

Part1:
Is it all as simple as this?

The mind (citta) is perfectly peaceful in nature but this nature is obscured by the activity of the five senses and responsive thoughts driven by attachment, avoidance and restlessness.

If we remove the obscurations then we are left with just the perfectly peaceful mind underneath.

Part 2:
However - Is this perfectly peaceful mind the same as emptiness?

For instance, a story about Ajahn Chah:
Ajahn Chah asked one of his monks - "Why"
The Monk replied - "I don't know"
Ajahn Chah said - "Because there is nothing"

I'm of the understanding that "nothing" refers to emptiness. (In the heart of the 1000 petaled lotus is nothingness). But is it? Is it just nothing as in absolutely nothing?

I have a basic understanding of emptiness, but I have no direct (supramundane) experience of emptiness. Is it equivalent to experiencing absolutely nothing?

What I'm really struggling with (I now see after writing all this...) is - how is emptiness different from a nilhilistic nothingness? I know this Q has been asked before but I can't find a response that really nails it for me. :(

Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Nothingness is an illusion, so is emptiness. What to understand, is that everything is in constant change. What ever you contemplate is not the same as it was a moment before. So nouns are absurd. We try to make them solid, and reliable. There is where suffering enters. Nothing stays the same. Impermanence.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    bagg wrote: »
    Is it equivalent to experiencing absolutely nothing?
    No. Emptiness is a gloss for an experience which arises in practice. It is not an ontological position.
  • edited August 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No. Emptiness is a gloss for an experience which arises in practice. It is not an ontological position.

What?
    Emptiness is a perfect example of ontology.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Think of a driver in a car..

ordinary clarity is like noting the speed on the dial. Clarity of emptiness is like judging the speeds and positions of the cars. How do we balance all these factors? For example you read the first word of this sentence but already as you get to the end of the sentence you retain the meaning. And you don't have to diagram the sentence or get out your calculator. Your mind has awareness and built into that is clarity of emptiness. In awareness practice we learn to notice this quality and trust in it.

For example there is a yielding quality.. Space. But that sounds to course. Energy. Too course. Dynamic?

Anyhow there is no barrier at any moment for any particular thought to come into your mind. You might think of your grandmothers home baked cookies? Where did that thought come from?

If you analyze any moment of thought there seems to be a continuity like a chain. But if you look for any one thing its like it never comes into being. A tree is never finally a tree. But yet there is a distinct experience. We have these thoughts that upon analysis are nothing. Bubbling out of nowhere. Going nowhere. Grandma's cookies pop up again hehe.. But yet we have such a distinct sense of meaning. We know when we know something and we know when we do not or are confused.

Some 'courser' ideas of emptiness are like impermanence or cause and effect but these ideas are a little bit of a divergence from our meditative experience of sensing space. Sensing that we could ease up and something new could come at any moment.

I am not referring to the ultimate realization of emptiness by the way. I have not experienced that. But I would guess that my teacher has and I am attempting to relay her words to you. I hope I am doing an ok job :eek:
  • edited August 2010

That's my understanding also.In Nagarjuna's philosophy Emptiness is the negation of all positions- including this position! I'd say emptiness is primarily a tactic of thought to discourage us from grabbing at concepts like 'eternity' or 'constancy', ideas which could cause suffering to the holders. Emptiness doesn't mean that you don't exist or enlightnement is some kind of nihilism, only that nothing stays still e.g. Heraclitus, 'you never jump into the same river twice'. There's a lovely piece from Nagarjuna where he says 'Buddha said (of emptiness) it is real, it is unreal and it is both real and unreal and it is neither one or the other'. As Denis says 'Nothingness is an illusion, so is emptiness'.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited August 2010
    What?
    Emptiness is a perfect example of ontology.

I agree with fivebells.

Ontology: (wikipedia) the philosophical study of the nature of being, existence or reality in general, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations.

Ontology is an intellectual activity, which is not the same thing as a direct experience. This is a common stumbling block for us Westerners, raised to worship the intellectual functions, and raised in a predominantly-Christian society where there is no concept of direct mystical experience until after death. We all (well, most of us, myself included) struggle with the conceit of our mental brilliance, and think we can "master" emptiness with our mind.
  • edited August 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    I agree with fivebells.

Ontology: (wikipedia) the philosophical study of the nature of being, existence or reality in general, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations.

Ontology is an intellectual activity, which is not the same thing as a direct experience. This is a common stumbling block for us Westerners, raised to worship the intellectual functions, and raised in a predominantly-Christian society where there is no concept of direct mystical experience until after death. We all (well, most of us, myself included) struggle with the conceit of our mental brilliance, and think we can "master" emptiness with our mind.

Its clearly both.
    The ongoing detailed philosophical analysis of shunyata/emptiness clearly is an ontological study, while the direct meditative experience is something else.
    I'm uncomfortable with disregarding Buddhist philosophical and scholastic pursuits, I feel they are very valuable not only to the survival and transmission of Buddhist teachings but to academic study in general.
  • edited August 2010
    Another point on this, svabhava is "essential nature", and according to Mahayana Buddhism the svabhava of all phenomena (including persons) are "empty" of any inherent existence. This stance describes the nature of being, what does and does not exist (ontology).
    The practical experience of emptiness is one thing but the point of view that gives the practitioner the knowledge and background necessary to work toward and recognize that experience is clearly represented in Buddhist ontology and basic Buddhist philosophical structures and arguments.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it is also used in ontological assertions. Thanks for pointing that out. Why do you believe that the ontological/philosophical background is necessary to practical experience of emptiness? It hardly comes up in Theravadin teachings (or the teachings of some Zen schools, for that matter), yet it appears that Theravadin practitioners experience it.
  • edited August 2010
    the four ontological categories of nagarjuna are simple, exists from self, exists from other, exists from both, exists from neither.

This is Ontology in buddhist terms. Dependent Origination is the refutation of all four possibilities. ( See mulamadhyamaka-karika) This is what is the conclusion of all the analysis of the entire treatise. Which supports the homage
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, it is also used in ontological assertions. Thanks for pointing that out. Why do you believe that the ontological/philosophical background is necessary to practical experience of emptiness? It hardly comes up in Theravadin teachings (or the teachings of some Zen schools, for that matter), yet it appears that Theravadin practitioners experience it.
    I dont know what others experience, but how is it possible to know what you are experiencing and ascertain whether or not it is the actual realization if you dont know what you are looking for? This comes through study of the rich, diverse, and profound Buddhist philosophical systems and methods.
    I disagree that it hardly comes up in Theravada or some Zen schools. The philosophical tradition may not be in the forefront of those traditions but it is most certainly there and is very important.
  • edited August 2010
    Dogen the founder of the soto school of zen. Says constantly to be rid of self ( ontological grasping to subject-object dichotomy) So i think your right shenpen in the backend of Zen its not just sitting around , but a kinda like clearing your mind to realize emptiness more fully. Very generally it can be said Zen focuses on clearing then knowing or ( experience to theoritical) Tibetan ( structural to experience)..
  • edited August 2010
    Dogen the founder of the soto school of zen. Says constantly to be rid of self ( ontological grasping to subject-object dichotomy) So i think your right shenpen in the backend of Zen its not just sitting around , but a kinda like clearing your mind to realize emptiness more fully. Very generally it can be said Zen focuses on clearing then knowing or ( experience to theoritical) Tibetan ( structural to experience)..

Dogen is a perfect example of the strength of the philosophical tradition in Zen.
  • edited August 2010
    Dogen says things that are very profound , pithy, and concise. He uses language masterfully saying a whole lot with very little words. I think though he is too advanced for a beginner in zen. Thats why roshi suzuki taught dogen gradually, so the meditation reinforces the little philosophical practice that is devoted in Zen. But like mentioned before Zen is not just sitting around.
    edited August 2010
    ...how is it possible to know what you are experiencing and ascertain whether or not it is the actual realization if you dont know what you are looking for?
    The experience of emptiness as it arises in practice can be described and verified phenomenologically, and doesn't depend on the belief systems in Buddhist philosophy.
  • edited August 2010
    The experience of emptiness as it arises in practice can be described and verified phenomenologically, and doesn't depend on the belief systems in Buddhist philosophy.

its not a "belief" system.
    Its a centuries old system of philosophical tenets and guidelines that have been refined and expounded upon for the past 2500 years.
  • edited August 2010
    The experience of emptiness as it arises in practice can be described and verified phenomenologically

What does this mean , and how do you verify phenomena? Isn't phenomena unverifiable due to its inconsistent nature?

If indeed it is inconsistent , then any process of describing and verifying this would have to take this factor in consideration. Yes?
  • edited August 2010
    If i break your glass that holds water, do you need a belief in the broken glass on the floor or an explanation why the glass you thought would last forever is now broken?
    edited August 2010
    its not a "belief" system.
    Its a centuries old system of philosophical tenets and guidelines that have been refined and expounded upon for the past 2500 years.
    OK. The terminology doesn't change my fundamental question.
  • edited August 2010
    OK. The terminology doesn't change my fundamental question.

There is simply no way to describe and define something phenomenologically without a frame of reference.
    So many people misunderstand their experiences in meditation because they have not taken the time to study.
    Learning, contemplating, and meditating all work together. If we remove learning and study from our practices its like driving to an unknown location without a road-map.
  • edited August 2010
    The good thing is that there are countless excellent maps out there for us to use.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I dont know what others experience, but how is it possible to know what you are experiencing and ascertain whether or not it is the actual realization if you dont know what you are looking for?

I don't know about other traditions but for Zen it is the Zen Master that ascertains it, not really the student.

is most certainly there and is very important.

I think that depends on who you ask. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Even if you don't think so the Tenets of systems of Buddhism such as the Four Major Schools. All address the issues of the buddhist cannon in relation to thier systems. Even zen is a system. Buddhism has to use a system in the beginning . Even buddha taught the main framework of his realization. Four Noble Truths. So i agree with shenpen
    There is simply no way to describe and define something phenomenologically without a frame of reference.
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    I don't know about other traditions but for Zen it is the Zen Master that ascertains it, not really the student.

I think that depends on who you ask. :)
    Ask your teacher I guess.
  • edited August 2010

Yes, but the frame of reference is one's past experiences compared to the 'emptiness experience'. And if that's too limited, then consider the teacher's experience as well. Emptiness is the experience, not the other way around; defining emptiness as something independent of the experience is missing the point entirely, I think.
    edited August 2010
    Ask your teacher I guess.

He said "Open mouth is already a mistake!"... and then he hit with with a stick...then he laughed... then put a shoe on his head walked away...:lol: He's kinda weird. :D
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, but the frame of reference is one's past experiences compared to the 'emptiness experience'. And if that's too limited, then consider the teacher's experience as well. Emptiness is the experience, not the other way around; defining emptiness as something independent of the experience is missing the point entirely, I think.

The teachings, tenets, and methods are guidance and support for personal experience. Without them ones own experiences all to often lead to further (and often worse) delusion.
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    He said "Open mouth is already a mistake!"... and then he hit with with a stick...then he laughed... then put a shoe on his head walked away...:lol: He's kinda weird. :D

i would like this guy.
  • edited August 2010
    Emptiness is the realization of Dependent Origination. Thats the experience that is "reality" all other experience is "Delusion" or "ignorance".

HH the Dalai Lama says this " when you see the world with red glasses it truely looks red, but when you take the glasses off , you see that its not red at all even though it seemed so".

Also buddha calls it in the Sutra on the Better way to catch a snake.

The snake appears to be a colored rope, just by saying hey thats not a snake its a colored rope, will not do, one has to see for oneself that the thing that looks like a snake is actually a colored rope. Then reality is colored rope, not snake.

Hope this helps.
  • edited August 2010
    "Open mouth is already a mistake!"...

WTF! This is why tibetan teachings such as Lamrim Chenmo make more sense to me. Honestly i dont' like being hit or being told stuff like that without explanation. But i guess thats why i don't have a Zen teacher.
  • edited August 2010
    The teachings, tenets, and methods are guidance and support for personal experience. Without them ones own experiences all to often lead to further (and often worse) delusion.

I agree completely. Problems arise when one tries to draw inferences from an experience (such as labeling it as emptiness). But that doesn't mean the experience can't happen at all; we wouldn't be discussing it if it never had!
  • edited August 2010
    I agree completely. Problems arise when one tries to draw inferences from an experience (such as labeling it as emptiness). But that doesn't mean the experience can't happen at all; we wouldn't be discussing it if it never had!
    Of course. I'm not saying that experiences cant happen without the tools at our disposal.
    What I am saying is that the Buddhist teaching, philosophical systems, and practice methods are firmly established in a way that provides us with the tools we need to progress safely and correctly.
  • edited August 2010
    What I am saying is that the Buddhist teaching, philosophical systems, and practice methods are firmly established in a way that provides us with the tools we need to progress safely and correctly.

this is the point of the entire series of statements IMHO
    edited August 2010
    Teachings and tenets don't substantially mitigate the risk of self-serving delusion. There's an egotistical path through any formal system. The only thing which can really help with this is a teacher.
  • edited August 2010
    Teachings and tenets don't substantially mitigate the risk of self-serving delusion. There's an egotistical path through any formal system. The only thing which can really help with this is a teacher.

It depends. I think they do have a substantial and positive impact but i agree with you that they can not be fully implemented without an authentic teacher and that an authentic teacher is the best source for guidance.
  • edited August 2010
    what if you have the structured courses of a teacher without engaging that teacher?

I read Geshe Tashi Tsering's Foundation book series regularly
    edited August 2010
    I think they do have a substantial and positive impact...
    Why do you think that?
  • edited September 2010
    Where's a handy stick of compassion-whackin' when you need one!? :D
  • edited September 2010
    Why do you think that?

We wouldnt even be having this discussion without them, let alone implementing practice and tracking our progress.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, we would. I see people's practice being assessed by the qualities of the experiences they describe and the behavior they exhibit, not according to the philosophical system describing emptiness.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    For the contemplation of emptiness I would highly recommend studying the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra and the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra. The Dalai Lama has written a commentary on the former, and Thich Nhat Hanh has written excellent commentaries on both.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, we would. I see people's practice being assessed by the qualities of the experiences they describe and the behavior they exhibit, not according to the philosophical system describing emptiness.
    How can they describe experiences or exhibit behavior without a frame of reference?
    How would those experiences or behaviors be related to Buddhism?
    The short answer is that they couldnt and they wouldnt.
  • edited September 2010
    I like nagarjuna and Chandrakirti for emptiness. Jay garfield has a great translation of the Root verses. And there is a publication of Chandrakirti's introduction to the middle way and commentary by Jamgon Mipham who HH the Dalai Lama said is an authoritave commentator
    edited September 2010
    How can they describe experiences or exhibit behavior without a frame of reference?
    How would those experiences or behaviors be related to Buddhism?
    The short answer is that they couldnt and they wouldnt.
    When I practice, the "emptiness component" is holding the question, "What is experiencing this?", looking, and seeing nothing. Now, arguments like "Are you your foot? Are you your name? Are you the obsever? etc." might help some people get unstuck from some conceptual attachments at the start, but they aren't the practice, and they aren't the terms in which practice is evaluated.
  • edited September 2010
    When I practice, the "emptiness component" is holding the question, "What is experiencing this?", looking, and seeing nothing. Now, arguments like "Are you your foot? Are you your name? Are you the obsever? etc." might help some people get unstuck from some conceptual attachments at the start, but they aren't the practice, and they aren't the terms in which practice is evaluated.

Your just arguing to argue. Do you have anything to say thats positive and helpful or is this post yet another way to brandish terms that are unintelligible by anyone but you?

You just contradicted yourself as well, you said that
    When I practice, the "emptiness component" is holding the question, "What is experiencing this?"

then you said
    arguments like "Are you your foot? Are you your name? Are you the obsever? etc." might help some people get unstuck from some conceptual attachments at the start,

which is all someone wants in the first place.
    then you say
    but they aren't the practice, and they aren't the terms in which practice is evaluated

but you fail to give real sources to what is the correct view. If your going to say what is wrong view, i think your obligated to help establish the opposite and more helpful in my oppinion "right" view.

Im off my soapbox

Hope this helps someone.
    edited September 2010
    Do you have anything to say thats positive and helpful or is this post yet another way to brandish terms that are unintelligible by anyone but you?
    If I do that, I'll be very grateful to have it pointed out to me. Which terms are unintelligible?
    You just contradicted yourself as well, you said… which is all someone wants in the first place.

I think quite a bit more is being claimed than that, but hopefully Shenpen will correct me if I'm wrong.
    …but you fail to give real sources to what is the correct view. If your going to say what is wrong view, i think your obligated to help establish the opposite and more helpful in my oppinion "right" view.
    I'm explaining how I practice, and the relationship I see between this practice and the Buddhist ontology of emptiness (i.e., none.) I am happy to refer anyone who is interested to further information about this practice, so my comments here are not fundamentally negative/destructive, particularly since they're in the context of a discussion with someone as solid, assured and attained in his practice as Shenpen.
    Hope this helps someone.

As I said, I welcome the feedback. Specific information about the unintelligible parts would be most welcome.
  • edited September 2010
    I am grateful for your response , maybe i get attacking and see things the wrong way, sorry just having a bad day. seemed like lots of arguing . sorry
    edited September 2010
    No, seriously! Go ahead and attack me! The feedback will be useful.
  • edited September 2010
    I just agree with Patrul Rinpoche who said "every buddhist teaching is for practice". This is all i want here, especially from the elders. Sorry just bringing it back to the practical.
    edited September 2010
    When I practice, the "emptiness component" is holding the question, "What is experiencing this?", looking, and seeing nothing.

Is there a point to continue asking the question if the answer is always nothing?