Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dali Lama issues statement on Animal Cruelty..

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Today
I like this guy. :)
“The abuse we inflict on hens has always been particularly disturbing to me and I have always been particularly concerned toward how these animals are treated in industrial food production. I am troubled to learn about the practice of confining egg laying hens in tiny cages. In these cages, birds cannot engage in their natural behaviours, such as spreading their wings, laying eggs in a nesting area, perching, scratching at the ground, even standing on a solid surface. Each hen has less space to live than the very sheet of paper I have written this letter on. Turning these defenseless animals into egg-producing machines with no consideration for their welfare whatsoever is a degradation of our own humanity. Switching to cage free eggs would reduce the suffering of these animals.”

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Yeah, I always appreciate when people speak up for those without a voice. At the same time have you ever wondered what the world would look like good, bad and indifferent if things were to change to be more in line with Buddhist beliefs?

For example if all animals raised for food were treated better that would likely mean the production of meat would be less efficient and therefore more expensive.

Beyond that there are the issues of millions of folks not having enough to eat, lots of people being exposed to malaria that don't need to be etc. Imagine what might happen to the population and therefore the strain on resources if all these 'easy' to solve causes of death/suffering were to be resolved.

Sometimes I think the only way to ever realize these ideals in a real world setting would require nothing less than a complete reorganization of human societies.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    Yeah, I always appreciate when people speak up for those without a voice. At the same time have you ever wondered what the world would look like good, bad and indifferent if things were to change to be more in line with Buddhist beliefs?

Peace on earth and good will to all beings! :)
    For example if all animals raised for food were treated better that would likely mean the production of meat would be less efficient and therefore more expensive.

I don't think humane treatment would necessarily do that because it already is extremely inefficient. It would be a "drop in the bucket", so to speak, IMO, compared to how inefficient it already is. The real reason why this concern is so lacking, in the US at least, is because of corporate lobbying and politicians bowing down to campaign dollars. I don't know about other countries but the only reason why it is inexpensive in the US is because of government subsidies. Someone once calculated the true cost of production of a hamburger once, and if I remember correctly, it came out to about $35.00 each... :eek:
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Peace on earth and good will to all beings! :)
    Funny how every religion thinks this would be the case if we all followed their way...Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists....even atheists.

The truth of course is different than this though.
    Buddhism happens to be enjoying pretty good press these days, but we have our flaws and warts just like everyone else.
    We have Buddhist clergy commiting sexual offences, violent offences, or abusing alcohol or drugs, or commiting financial offences. We have sectarian arguments and violence in our history as well. We have some sects saying others are not teaching real Buddhism. We have dissagreements on issues like abortion, and same-sex marriage.

I think it is part of being human, and as long as all the Buddhists on the planet are human, they will make mistakes. I think we should guard against an idealistic view of our religion in practice, and judging those who do not practice, or who follow other practices....we are still more alike than different.:o

Regarding Animals...I personaly feel we tend to have a very human biased view of animals, even in Buddhism. We tend to think only we are capable of finding our true nature....I suspect many animals already and naturally have done this. We praise ourselves for our developed brain, but it seems to get us into more trouble than anything else, at least in terms of spiritual endeavors.
    I always loves Suzuki's thoughts about frog zazen in Zen mind Beginners mind. :lol:
    Anyway I am always pleased to see anyone speak up for the animals...Buddhist or otherwise.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010

so? lol.

in america, we have a huge problem with obesity (diabetes, heart disease) and part of that problem is how cheap meat is. it used to be a luxury, now, you can buy a burger at mcdonalds for cheaper than you can buy a head of broccoli. it makes no sense. i think we need to eat less meat, and better quality when we do!
  • edited September 2010
    I agree with you, ZG. I was thinking more along the lines of globally rather than in 'fat' nations.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I agree with you, ZG. I was thinking more along the lines of globally rather than in 'fat' nations.

ah, point taken.

but i also think that what HHDL was talking about is more likely aimed at places like the US. i could be wrong, but i don't think any other country rivals our meat industry. and it is particularly sad because we need it the least.
  • edited September 2010
    zg

the other problem with the obesity 'epidemic' is that too many schools cut physical education. not everybody is an athlete, i know, but there has to be something that can be done. i just don't have an idea for that.
  • edited September 2010
    Acutally, HHDL is coming to Toronto this fall. He's giving a public talk at the Rogers Centre on Fri. Oct. 22 at 2:00 p.m. and the talk is called Human Approaches to World Peace.

Tickets are available through Ticketmaster outlets or online and you can get discounted group rates for groups of 10 or more through Groupsales@rogerscentre.com.

Tickets are only $20, $30, $40 plus taxes and fees. Group rates get you a further discount. It should be awesome!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dalai-Lama-Toronto-2010-Visit/129421373764053
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DalaiLamaTO2010

Lhakpa