Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

mindfulness of buttons and strings

edited September 2010 in General Banter
A funny thing just happened to me. For awhile now I have attempted to remain mindful of my mental state throughout the day with an eye toward recognizing how my buttons get pushed. When I say 'buttons' I am referring to those things I experience that tend to result in anger or some other 'negative' mental state|emotion arising.

As I was sitting at my desk my littlest one whom I had given a couple chips to as a snack came up to me with orange powder on his face (from Doritos), had a sweet smile and puckered his lips for a kiss. I gave him his kiss and really enjoyed the moment, but then he said 'more?'

AHA! That little bugger was pulling my string. He was preconditioning me to respond favorably to his request for more chips. I did give him a couple more, but it made me aware that we aren't just subject to having our buttons pushed when we aren't mindful, we are also subject to having our strings pulled.

Thought I would share this random thought from my day.