Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Idle chatter aspect of Right Speech

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited October 2010 in Philosophy
So what exactly is "idle chatter"? Speech that serves no purpose or "small talk"? Is there really such a thing as speech that serves no purpose? I used to think so, until I took some communications classes in college and learned of the term "phatic communication". I don't think there is such a thing as speech that serves no purpose, not for myself anyway.

"Phatic communication" has several definitions like:

"Small talk: the nonreferential use of language to share feelings or establish a mood of sociability rather than to communicate information or ideas; ritualized formulas intended to attract the attention of the listener or prolong communication.
"

OR

a phatic expression is one whose only function is to perform a social task, as opposed to conveying information.

However, the one I prefer is this one:

"Speech to promote human warmth: that is as good a definition as any of the phatic aspect of language. For good or ill, we are social creatures and cannot bear to be cut off too long from our fellows, even if we have nothing really to say to them."
(Anthony Burgess, Language Made Plain, 1975)

So if the purpose of one's speech about "nothing in particular" is to promote human warmth, make friendly conversation with others, establish social rapport in order to make new friends, etc., then how can idle chatter even exist?

So what exactly is "idle chatter"?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Tsongkhapa calls it Senseless speech in Great Treatise of the Stages on the Path to Enlightenment

an excerpt : "you yourself perceive the topic about which you wish to speak and then speak. it does not have to involve someone else who understands it".

I think that its speech of self. Since self speech isn't related to liberation but suffering i think Tsongkhapa is refering to Self Centered speaking that comes from a inherent "I". But i could be wrong.

Good point here. And relevant to my life in particular
  • edited September 2010
    I have heard it said that among other things, idle chatter is gossip.

It may not be purposeless speech, but the purpose it serves is the opposite of noble.
  • edited September 2010
    I would recommend Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path ( Lamrim Chenmo) for a detailed account and description of the nonvirtues.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Awakened mind doesn't need to be entertained or aggrandized. Right Speech describes speech which pursued for some purpose other than entertainment and self-aggrandizement.
  • edited September 2010
    Awakened mind doesn't need to be entertained or aggrandized. Right Speech describes speech which pursued for some purpose other than entertainment and self-aggrandizement.

Is this like I said about "speech that is centered in the view of self" . I immediately took the perspective of the whole corpus of buddhist teachings especially the framework of the Four Noble Truths and realized that "Senseless Speech" is action resulting in the attachment to self , which produces ignorance and is brought about by innate ignorance

(i've been studying the Four Noble Truths, and highly reccomend Geshe Tashi Tsering, He is a wonderful teacher)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Person 1: Did you see (sport team A) <INSERT A team sports>kick (sport team B)<INSERT team sports B>'s ass last night? That was incredible!

Person 2: I don't watch sports

Person 1: ...
  • edited September 2010
    GuyC I am confused at your point. Not that it isn't valid, its not that clear to me. If person 1 is so identified with thier view that a seperate person 2 offends them then i think it was senseless for person 1 to say something with such potential for aversion by person 2. Furthermore if person 2 is clinging to thier idea that sports arent important then isn't person 2 guilty of the same thing. Its ok to say to person 1 that they haven't ever gotten into sports but it sounds exciting , please tell me what happened. That would be more conventionally an antidote because it takes into effect the awakened mind of compassion and non self. This way person 1 can feel that even though person 2 doesn't share the same interest person 1 isnt put in a position of rejection. which ruins compassion.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    GuyC I am confused at your point. Not that it isn't valid, its not that clear to me.

Perhaps the reason that it's not clear is because the conversation example was pointless to begin with, which was kind of the point I was making (i.e. pointlessness is the point).
    If person 1 is so identified with thier view that a seperate person 2 offends them then i think it was senseless for person 1 to say something with such potential for aversion by person 2.

Person 1 assumed everyone watched sports and so he thought it was okay to ask person 2 about the results of the game. He was confused by the strangeness of Person 2...why doesn't he watch sports?
    Furthermore if person 2 is clinging to thier idea that sports arent important then isn't person 2 guilty of the same thing.

Lack of interest in sports =/= clinging to an idea that sports aren't important.
    Its ok to say to person 1 that they haven't ever gotten into sports but it sounds exciting , please tell me what happened. That would be more conventionally an antidote because it takes into effect the awakened mind of compassion and non self.

I don't see how feigning interest is helping, Person 2 would only be feeding Person 1's delusion that sports are important.
    This way person 1 can feel that even though person 2 doesn't share the same interest person 1 isnt put in a position of rejection. which ruins compassion.

Assuming that everyone likes sports, when not everyone does, is delusion. Being surprised by encountering a person who doesn't like sports is an opportunity for person 1 to awaken to the truth of "not-sport" (ansparta). So by not pretending to like sport, person 2 is doing the most compassionate thing possible, imo.
  • edited September 2010
    That was interesting . this sounds like a western philosophical test where your given examples to reconcile through philosophical models.

I think that person 1 like you have mentioned is clinging to sports and building identity from it. However with the amount of enthuisiam that you said person 1 has the actual underlying need is to validate that sports = happiness.

So yes, person 2 did give an appropriate response in relation to this aspect. However without taking into consideration Person1's reality ( fundemental ignorance, attachment and aversion) of suffering. Person 2 is actually causing a disconnect that is coming from a smug superiority in a person who doesn't identify from sports. So i believe that mutatis mutandis the arguement can be applied exactly to person 2.

The idleness is that after such a hidden exchange each has not understood the suffering of oneself or the suffering of the other. And conseqentially the Orgins of suffering can't be abandoned either.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I don't think person 2 is being smug at all, he simply stated his position of not being a sport's fan. If person 1 wants gets offended by this (although there is no indication that this is the case, he appears to me to be simply puzzled about person 2's position) then he is extremely easy to offend and person 2 cannot be held responsible for this.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Interesting scenario of the sports team conversation. So you are saying that person 1 is engaging in idle chatter, yes? I would be person 2 as I don't watch sports nor do I really care to watch it. I would have handled it differently though. It would have went something like this:

Person 1: Did you see (sport team A) <insert a="" team="" sports="">kick (sport team B)<insert team="" sports="" b="">'s ass last night? That was incredible!
    Person 2: No I didn't. Was it a good game?
    Person 1: </insert></insert>Yes, it was awesome!
    Person 2: Really, who won?
    Person 1: The Cowboys!
    Person 2: Really? That's nice. Are the Cowboys your favorite team?
    Person 1: Yup, I'm a big fan.
    Person 2: Why do you like the Cowboys so much?
    Person 1: Well, I grew up in Texas.
    Person 2: Interesting.
    etc., etc, etc.

I would not view this as a pointless conversation, even though I have no interest in football at all. The subject matter of the conversation IS pointless, but the subject matter of the conversation is not the point. The way I see it, the point of that conversation would be not to show interest in sports but to show interest in the other person as a fellow human being, regardless of what their interests are, even though their interests are a result of the delusion and clinging to the idea "sports are very important". The entire conversation, from beginning to end, is of a phatic nature. I used to think that conversations like this were pointless but feel quite differently now. So much so that I can't see how any conversation could be pointless, at least from the viewpoint of person 2 anyway.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Very interesting seeker, thanks for your insight.
  • edited September 2010
    the point of that conversation would be not to show interest in sports but to show interest in the other person as a fellow human being, regardless

This was my exact point Guy. Im confused
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Here's what Ledi Sayadaw says on "Useless Chatter" from a Theravadan Buddhist perspective.
    http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh245-p.html
    ...abstinence from useless chatter, refers to such plays and novels as contain no worthy goals (attha), no rightful means thereto (dhamma), and no reference to good conduct (vinaya). Such matters do not inspire those who read or listen to them though they may have transient entertainment value. Words which relate to goals (attha) describe such things as long life, health, and rightly acquired wealth enjoyed in this life, while in a future life they are such good results as being born a human being or a deva.
    Words relating to the means (dhamma) make clear the ways in which the above goals can be realised.
    Those words which deal with the rules of conduct (vinaya) for both laity and religious (the five, eight, ten, or 227 precepts) are the basis for the destruction of greed and aversion.
    Now words about such goals, means, and good conduct are not found in the type of books and dramas referred to here, so narrating and acting works like this amounts to useless chatter.
  • edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Interesting scenario of the sports team conversation. So you are saying that person 1 is engaging in idle chatter, yes? I would be person 2 as I don't watch sports nor do I really care to watch it. I would have handled it differently though. It would have went something like this:

Person 1: Did you see (sport team A) <insert a="" team="" sports="">kick (sport team B)<insert team="" sports="" b="">'s ass last night? That was incredible!
    Person 2: No I didn't. Was it a good game? They already said it was incredible. Or maybe you are asking</insert></insert><insert a="" team="" sports=""><insert team="" sports="" b=""> if there is something else that makes a game good to them besides one team kicking the other's ass?
    Person 1: </insert></insert>Yes, it was awesome!
    Person 2: Really, who won? They told you already.
    Person 1: The Cowboys!
    Person 2: Really? That's nice. Are the Cowboys your favorite team? is it really nice? if the other team won would it still be nice? how can it not be nice?
    Person 1: Yup, I'm a big fan.
    Person 2: Why do you like the Cowboys so much?
    Person 1: Well, I grew up in Texas.
    Person 2: Interesting.
    etc., etc, etc.

I would not view this as a pointless conversation, even though I have no interest in football at all. The subject matter of the conversation IS pointless, but the subject matter of the conversation is not the point. But what if it is the point to the other person. The way I see it, the point of that conversation would be not to show interest in sports but to show interest in the other person as a fellow human being, regardless of what their interests are, even though their interests are a result of the delusion and clinging to the idea "sports are very important". The entire conversation, from beginning to end, is of a phatic nature. I used to think that conversations like this were pointless but feel quite differently now. So much so that I can't see how any conversation could be pointless, at least from the viewpoint of person 2 anyway.
    Maybe it means you are idle and not making progress in buddhism.I don't know how to quote.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    fakebuddha wrote: »
    Maybe it means you are idle and not making progress in buddhism.I don't know how to quote.

What kind of progress is there to be made?

p.s. it's friendly small talk, what is actually said is irrelevant
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    there are 'dethis katha -32 types of talks' that we should avoid
    and
    there are 'dasa katha - 10 type of talks' that we should involve

hope someone would provide the links
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited September 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    there are 'dethis katha -32 types of talks' that we should avoid

Here you are!
    ...the thirty-two types of vulgar talk which are spiritually unbeneficial [and obstruct the noble fruits of stream-winning, etc., and also rebirth in the higher planes. They are as follows:

talk about rulers,

criminals,

ministers of state,

armies,

dangers,

battles,

food,

drink,

clothing,

dwellings,

adornments,

perfumes,

relatives,

vehicles,

villages,

towns,

cities,

provinces,

women (or men),

heroes,

streets,

baths,

relations who have died,

this and that,

the origin of the world,

the origin of the ocean,

eternity views,

annihilation views,

worldly loss,

worldly gain,

self-indulgence,

self-mortification
    Anyone who wants to develop wisdom regarding goals, means, and good conduct should not waste time indulging in these thirty-two kinds of talk.
  • edited October 2010
    Interesting list, does this suggest these topics should not be conversed on, or that these topics should not be conversed on under a negative light?

Also, I am very curious about what the "'dasa katha - 10 type of talks' that we should involve" are. Google revealed nothing, could anyone provide?