Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

bad karma from eating meat

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited September 2010 in General Banter
hello all, didn't want to start a heavy discussion here... just a slight musing of my sleep deprived brain at the moment...

as i've discussed before, i was a vegetarian for maybe 3 years, went back to eating meat for 1-2 years(? i'm horrible with time) and now i've gone back to being a vegetarian for the last year or so. but this time, i am much less strict. i used to be the type that wouldn't eat jello or anything, but now i'm more of a "don't support the meat industry" veg.

i've been taking into consideration things that people have been saying about intent to kill and whatnot and at some point i decided that i would sometimes eat meat to appease people in social situations if it was given to me.

a situation like that presented itself to me tonight and as a result, i have horrible stomach cramps and have lost out on hours of sleep. i knew this would happen, as it usually does when i eat meat, but i did so anyways. now i suffer, haha.

this really is the definition of bad karma, no?

but then, i find myself wondering, was it like this for me before i became a vegetarian? is it just because i haven't eaten meat in so long or did beef stroganoff always make my stomach hurt? i do remember when i first stopped eating meat, i was amazed by what a difference it made on me physically. i remember thinking, "uhh...it's normal to have a bowel movement every day???" most vegetarians seem to complain of some sort of physical problems when they eat meat again (usually either cramping, constipation, or diarrhea). but for me, it seems to me that i ALWAYS had these problems, i just thought they were normal until i changed my diet.

just curious what other people's experience with all this is. i'm talking from a purely physical standpoint here, nothing to do with ethics or morals.

and now... it's time for work :(

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    That's not bad karma, just bad biology. It's always nice to figure a limitation like that out, though. Really improves one's life.

Last night, I slept badly because I read this essay, then watched the TV show it was commenting on, and kept being started awake by angry thoughts and violent fantasies. That's bad karma.
  • edited September 2010
    I was reading on another forum about people who had gone vegetarian and their experiences with it. Some reported exactly what you did, that eating meat after a long period with no meat does a number on their digestive system. Others had no issues and still others found that not eating any meat at all did a number on their digestive system.

So, I don't know if it's bad karma or not, but it does seem to vary from one person to another.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    I was reading on another forum about people who had gone vegetarian and their experiences with it. Some reported exactly what you did, that eating meat after a long period with no meat does a number on their digestive system. Others had no issues and still others found that not eating any meat at all did a number on their digestive system.

So, I don't know if it's bad karma or not, but it does seem to vary from one person to another.

yeah, i've noticed this as well. it makes me wonder if perhaps we aren't all the same after all. some people also say that they get these intense cravings for meat, but i never get those either. i sometimes wonder if something about my heritage and genetics makes me more prone to vegetarianism. i was definitely raised with a protein in every meal, so idk.
  • edited September 2010
    Not very relevant, but this reminds me of that line from "My big fat greek wedding":

"What you mean you don't eat no meat? That's ok, I'll make you lamb!"
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    great line from the wedding unlikelybdst.

i have no answer for you zombiegirl, no real answer. i have been a vegetarian, and i have been a vegan, and now i eat a little meat now and then or sometimes daily but very little. last night at a dinner party i passed on the turkey, today i had a little beef for a fajita. i basically don't like the idea that an animal died to feed me, but i feel better physically when i do have meat. it could be that you need digestive enzymes when you eat meat; i don't know.

i also don't worry about my karma; i just do my best because that is what i desire to do. but my best isn't always being a vegetarian. i am sure i have not helped you at all. :o
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I'm with Jessaka - I don't feel as good when I don't get at least a little meat protein every now and then. Even looking at a piece of steak or a chicken breast turns my stomach, but a chicken burrito now and then satisfies me. And I do eat fish because it has so many health benefits, and my cholesterol genetics virtually demand it.

Mtns
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    jessaka wrote: »
    i also don't worry about my karma; i just do my best because that is what i desire to do. but my best isn't always being a vegetarian. i am sure i have not helped you at all. :o

no, you have. i was hoping to just have an honest discussion about meat and vegetarianism and the effects people experience physically. i admit, i was a little out of it when i wrote this because i was running on a couple hours of poor sleep and finally gave up on sleep at 3am.
    Mountains wrote: »
    I'm with Jessaka - I don't feel as good when I don't get at least a little meat protein every now and then. Even looking at a piece of steak or a chicken breast turns my stomach, but a chicken burrito now and then satisfies me. And I do eat fish because it has so many health benefits, and my cholesterol genetics virtually demand it.

i'm more inclined to eat fish than other meat. my family is swedish and it's kinda like, when don't we eat fish? haha.
    i recently watched a documentary talking about swordfish (aka billfish, marlin) and other predatory fish though. they were saying that due to over-fishing, these fish are now so toxic with mercury that only a small amount is considered safe to eat. tuna is also a predatory fish.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nah, it's just your biology. I get stomach cramps when I drink soy milk, but I doubt that's because of karma.
    edited September 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Nah, it's just your biology. I get stomach cramps when I drink soy milk, but I doubt that's because of karma.

well, my girlfriend experiences the same thing so i was kinda curious if others did as well.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, yes and yes! I've been though the same thing. I used to eat meat - lots of it, red, white, fish, etc (yes, I have Greek parents). But, when I became Buddhist, I also stopped eating meat for a couple of years (my parents weren't so upset with my becoming a Buddhist so much as they were about my vegetarianism - lol). After deciding that it was all too hard in a western society to be vegetarian especially when you go out to restaurants with little or no vegetarian choices, I found that my body reacted rather negatively to eating meat. I rarely eat red meat any more, I have some chicken from time to time and mostly have fish/seafood as this doesn't affect me at all.

So, in short, eating meat (especially red meat) after some years of vegetarianism does tend to play havoc with your biological processes - at least from my experiences.

Regards,

Vangelis
    edited September 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    I rarely eat red meat any more, I have some chicken from time to time and mostly have fish/seafood as this doesn't affect me at all.

So, in short, eating meat (especially red meat) after some years of vegetarianism does tend to play havoc with your biological processes - at least from my experiences.

pretty much the same as me. when i ate meat, i gravitated more toward the red meat even though i know it's worse for me. in my experience with trying to be less strict as a vegetarian, red meat is horrible for me. chicken i have no experience with. fish/seafood doesn't affect me at all either.

i read an article online that said that it has to do with enzymes and that after a few days, the enzymes will be able to break down the meat (sick). but it also said that there have been no studies on this so i wonder where they got their information in the first place.
  • edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    fish/seafood doesn't affect me at all either.

Completely apart from Buddhism I have make some effort at improving the healthiness of my diet. To that end the intake of fruits, vegetables and grains/nuts have increased and the consumption of meat have decreased.

To the extent that I eat meat I make most of it seafood. Fish and shellfish seem to be easily tolerable to my digestive system and many studies show the positive benefits of avoiding red meat and replacing it with fish/seafood. Less saturated fat, more omega 3s and there are even those who argue (with some, but not a lot of scientific evidence) that eating *anything* non toxic from the ocean provides us with trace minerals we can no longer get from terrestrial plants and animals, but only from the ocean where all life has it's origins. There is no question that salt water contains trace minerals largely not found any longer in soil, the question is whether or not those trace minerals matter to human health.

Folks who advocate the Mediterranean diet and similar ideas point to the oceans as the source of good health. Even Eskimos who ate almost nothing other than meat seem to have been relatively free of modern health ailments and their meat came from the ocean so who knows.

I don't.

Still, there seems to me some wisdom in not neglecting food from the oceans. That's where a lot of the healthy stuff comes from whether it be plant or animal based.

So, when I eat meat I try to make it something from the oceans.
    edited September 2010
    To the extent that I eat meat I make most of it seafood.

i agree with you and my "vegetarianism" is a hybrid of health reasons as well as "ethical" reasons. to bring buddhism back into the picture, part of my problem with fish/shellfish is that we have so completely overfished the oceans. i heard the statistic from a documentary once that they think we only have about 10% of our world's fish population left. but i'm not sure how they reached this number, as this seems to be a pretty difficult thing to determine.

the obvious answer would be to buy farmed fish instead of wild caught. but they actually found that farmed fish is much higher in toxins than wild caught.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-01-13/health/salmon.farmed.fresh_1_salmon-consumption-wild-salmon-atlantic-salmon?_s=PM:HEALTH

but they also say:
    But subsequent research has found that the health benefits of both farmed and wild salmon exceed potential risks, said Eric Rimm, associate professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.

i guess, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, there are always sardines which in the US anyway are pretty much never actual sardines, but a small herring. Various environmental groups have said harvesting them is one of the most ecologically friendly sources of food from the ocean as their populations are very high and their reproductive rate is mind boggling.

I do agree with you in regards to over fishing though, it's a very real problem.
    edited September 2010
    Well, there are always sardines which in the US anyway are pretty much never actual sardines, but a small herring. Various environmental groups have said harvesting them is one of the most ecologically friendly sources of food from the ocean as their populations are very high and their reproductive rate is mind boggling.

I do agree with you in regards to over fishing though, it's a very real problem.

that's interesting. i didn't know they were ecologically friendly, although i had heard that sardine is a blanket term that could refer to several different types of fish. thank you for that bit of information :)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Well speaking from experience, I am a vegetarian and I have eaten meat without knowing it was meat until it was already swallowed. I was a bit upset I had eaten it ( mislabeling of food I had bought) but other than that I did not become ill. But in regards to karma I don't know if it counts as I did not know I was eating it. As a side note there has been a lot of debate ( which became quite heated) about karma and eating meat already on this forum (see link).
    At the end of the day no body knows for sure if you can accumulate negative karma from eating meat (tough some claim there is no debate to be had on this if you read the posts in the link).

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6696

Metta to all sentient beings
    edited September 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    At the end of the day know body knows for sure if you can accumulate negative karma from eating meat (tough some claim there is no debate to be had on this if you read the posts in the link).

i was speaking of karma in a more literal sense of "cause and effect", attempting to take "morality" out of the conversation completely. such as,
    cause:"i eat meat"
    effect:"i experience pain and sleeplessness"

this seems to equate to negative karma to me.

but as one suggestion might also be,
    cause:"i become a vegetarian and stop eating meat until the other day"
    effect:"because my enzymes are not used to breaking down animal matter, i experience pain and sleeplessness."

in this scenario, i could be experiencing "negative karma" just by becoming a vegetarian and then deciding to eat meat, making the meat not inherently bad.

or, option 3, i am completely confused and wrong in my view of karma. :lol: i tend to think of karma in more of a literal sense, as in, how it affects me here and now (or maybe tomorrow, next week, next year, etc) and i don't really consider unknowable things such as how karma may affect my future rebirth or something.

another example involving food of a less debatable form;
    if i constantly over eat and eat poorly and i become a type II diabetic, would this be considered bad karma?

i am considering any of the options, really.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Actually I became a vegetarian today. No more meat. Something I have thought about doing for a while.
    edited September 2010
    Thao wrote: »
    Actually I became a vegetarian today. No more meat. Something I have thought about doing for a while.

good luck to you! i hope you find it as enjoyable as i have. it's up to you how strict you want to be about it, but in my personal experience, i found it easier to relax a little bit (and eat marshmallows, for example). i felt like i was unnecessarily stressing myself (and others) out which is pretty counterproductive if part of the reason you are doing it is for health, lol.