Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bodhicharyavatara

edited September 2010 in Philosophy
What do the members here think of this text. I have read the text and the commentary Drops of Nectar. I don't really know what effect it has.

Does anyone have some wisdom on how to really apply the teachings of this great treatise?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I took refuge today and then did bodhichitta. A customer at work said i made her day. Usually i get kinda frusterated, but for the first call of the day i got a card saying how helpful i was.

I am far from bodhichitta though. I am still caught in giver reciever and gift distinctions.
  • edited September 2010
    bodhicitta is one of the top priorities in my practice, and the bodhicharyavatara... that is shantideva right , ..... that's a good book i should get a copyu and read it againb.... i like to pray for the earth and the whole universe some times before i go to bed at night and usually dedicate a part of meditation to devoting mhyself to sentient beings. i try not to get caught up in the fact that there can be a lot of judgmental and negative vibes and thoughts coming from me towards other people some times, like an old habit that is slow to die out, and i feel good to acknowledge that bodhichitta comes step by step but easily progresses if you practice dedicatedly
  • edited September 2010
    Pietro that was great and heartfelt response .Thank you for sharing.
  • edited September 2010
    I am reading the commentary Nectar of Manjushri's Speech again. Im on the 2nd chapter commentary about confession. In the translator's introduction it talks about the book being a "manual" for compassion and the generation of bodhichitta.

Anyhow in the second chapter commentary called Confessions. After taking refuge the ideas of impermanence are talked about in great power and reason. Some of the things Shantideva says are so touching. The commentary pulls the power out of the verses and talks about the uncertianty of death and the things that will happen internally at death> its so touching. Shantideva talks about how he was not practicing the ten virtues and instead committed the ten nonvirtues and this is why death is so painful. He talks about the insecurity of this world and the consequences of seeking pleasure in samsara.

I really like the commentary this time around . After reading the Lamrim Chenmo it's really bringing to mind some of the same ideas. But Shantideva applies them in the most practical way i've ever seen. So touching.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Its easy to Implement it friend Shantidevas advise is very beautiful and poetic, all one needs to do is practise training in swapping the object of cherishing from self to others, This is the begining but in order for us to generate this attitude we must have a balanced mind that has equnimity toward others, Once you only cherish others Shantidevas words become a practicle instruction for daily implementation :)
  • edited September 2010
    I read in the commentary on confession ch 2 of the Bodhicharyavatara that : our life pursuits of fame, wealth, family, etc. are but a memory the next day. What a statement. I really like the examples of bodhichitta in Ch 1. especially as 'Bodhichitta being our bodyguard'. I never thought that this could be so. That i don't need to protect myself with aggression but with compassion toward the other there is not a need for protection. What a novel idea!
  • edited September 2010
    Lots of times i think that i need to practice a certian way. I used to read lots of different books. One of them was a Taoist master who wrote Secret to the Golden Flower. I was introduced to this book early in my development. Anyway it talks about developing what is called the " crystal " body. In buddhism i think this might be the
    "Sambhogakaya" . Anyway in The example of Alchemy in the Bodhicharyavatara it is said that bodhichitta is the supreme alchemy. In occultism i studied alchemy as well. The basis of the alchemical formulas was supposed yogic practice. The images of the occult symbols in relation to alchemy distilled in thier essence to the raja yoga. I came from such a comparitive structure that for me saying that bodhichitta is a profound alchemical transformation , really means alot. I am grateful for the root text and commentary of this wonderful topic.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lots of times i think that i need to practice a certian way. I used to read lots of different books. One of them was a Taoist master who wrote Secret to the Golden Flower. I was introduced to this book early in my development. Anyway it talks about developing what is called the " crystal " body. In buddhism i think this might be the
    "Sambhogakaya" . Anyway in The example of Alchemy in the Bodhicharyavatara it is said that bodhichitta is the supreme alchemy. In occultism i studied alchemy as well. The basis of the alchemical formulas was supposed yogic practice. The images of the occult symbols in relation to alchemy distilled in thier essence to the raja yoga. I came from such a comparitive structure that for me saying that bodhichitta is a profound alchemical transformation , really means alot. I am grateful for the root text and commentary of this wonderful topic.

Bodhichitta is wonderful :)
    The supreme mind, Many people ask how refuge protects us from harm...Its simple, By taking refuge in the accomplished ones, The method, and the practitoners we are taking refuge in the causes that lead away from harm, A mind of Bodhichitta doesnt ripen any negativity for us to experience negative effects It is a supreme method for Transforming the mind, All harm comes from Self cherishing mind so what can be said of the mind that cherishes all living beings without exception wishing them to accomplish full enlightenment ? :D
  • edited September 2010
    I really liked the idea that in the "sambhogkaya" the buddhas and bodhisattvas can see us take refuge. Thats awesome.
  • edited September 2010
    I just started a blog on bodhichitta. I made a commitment to try out Shantideva's text for a year.