Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting finding about anxiety...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited September 2010 in General Banter
As some of you know, I've just started anesthesia school. As if that's not stressful enough (about a 246 on a 1-10 scale), I managed to get a UTI for the first time in my life. Went to the doc-in-the-box who spent about 45 seconds with me, and gave me an Rx for Bactrim (trimethoprim & sulfamethoxiaole). Never having had a UTI before, and never having taken said antibiotic before, who was I to argue?

So today, after five days of taking it, and four days of having a more or less constant dull headache, blah feeling, not being able to sleep, and being *very* anxious, all of which I put down to the incredibly overwhelming volume and depth of material that's being thrown at us in school, something made me do a little pharm research on Bactrim.

Lo and behold, some of the major side effects include (wait for it...) constant dull headache, blah feeling, insomnia, and anxiety! Well whaddaya know? Fortunately I only have one more day of the stuff.

No real message except know what you're putting in your mouth. I should have known better, being an RN and all. Sigh...

Mtns

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Hope you get better soon , Mountains :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Make yourself as much nettle tea as you can. drink an alka selzer twice a day (painkiller AND cleansing agent for the urinary tract in the bicarb, because it balances the alkali in your urine) and if you can find it, make copious quantities of tea with Goosegrass or cleavers. It's an annual weed that grows in hedgerows, and that sticks to you because of gadgillions of tiny invisible hooks on the leaves....
    eat dandelion salad.

I used to suffer from monthly UTI's and it's miserable.
    I hate it, and it is so debilitating.
    But drinking a couple of alka selzers a day, plus these teas does wonders. particularly if you mix nettle and goosegrass together....
    full kettle of water, about 20 nettle tops and a good bunch of rich green goosegrass. Boil kettle. Place cleaned herbs into a large heatproof jug, pour boiling water on herbs, stir, allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Drink as many cups in one day as you can take, keep saturating herbs with boiling water.....

It's really very good for you.
    No side effect.
    oh, except a clear bladder.
    Love it.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thanks all. Fede - I know Alka-Seltzer is supposed to work, but it makes my heart race like a thoroughbred. Nettle tops? No earthly idea where I'd find them around here... And it's not as if I can trot out to the country in the afternoon to go herb picking. I don't have time to answer the call of nature these days..

Mtns
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thanks also Fede_s ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    I know Alka-Seltzer is supposed to work, but it makes my heart race like a thoroughbred.

You've been taking Alka Selzer plus!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    No, any kind of sodium bicarb does it. It's the big whallop of sodium that gets me. Same thing happens if I eat a box of Cheez-its :)

Mtns