Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would Buddha teach us about spanking a child?

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Repost. Please delete.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    I think there was a post here before how how Buddha came to teach his son how to be enlighten as well - not sure where the post is though. You can search. After reading the teachings of non-violence, love, compassion, and honest understanding - it arises the question on what Buddha would think of spanking a child (the hard physcial punishment) or not. I can not imagine the Buddha hitting someone (there's no reference to "spare the rod, spoil the child" as far as I'm concern) even as a form of teaching or as a last resort (like the majority of people would).

Personally, I think if kids are obnoxious, rude, always whinning, there's a underlying cause behind that needs to be deeply understood. A hundred years ago, before autism was even heard of, there might cases of parent abusing and physically discipling his/her child thinking the child may be possess by some evil spirit. Many developmental problem of a child were seen on the child part as just evil behavior. Today parental physchology has grown to widespread knowledge of whether this is effective or not. Thus, is there a reason to a hit child with autism and other developmental and growth problem? Shouldn't we best understand what problem really is first?

Aside from child developmental problem, if everyone is instinctly good, should there any reason to discipline your child by spanking? Kids are born into this world with infinite curiosity of their world and will try out thing that may deemed harmful to the kid. Suppose a child is always playing with a cockroach in the house (as he's interesting in observing the wonders of an insect), would the parent slap the child hand each time he/she play with the cockroach? What would the Buddhist approach to this be? Perhaps get rid the cockroaches in the house and redirect the child's curiousity to something else that's better? This would conicide with patience, compassion, and loving for the child I suppose.

Suppose the Buddha taught us about how we should choose alternative to spanking and try our best to have patience, and compassionately understand the child needs first than spanking, what would you think? Would you dare to even argue with Buddha teachings?

How would you handle physically discipling a child in a world where violence, immoral peer pressure, sexual glamour, and lack of values are common in society? Would you use spanking as your last resort? Are we living in a culture, where it's now neccessary to spank a child from becoming spoiled?

Many would argue that spanking a child is neccessary as it's out of hard love, that the child will understand what's right/wrong eventually as he/she gets older? But does that spanking teaches the child right/wrong? Is it really the child fault or the parent fault? Even if a child learns to avoid the behavior from spanking, was it the child truly understanding the consequences or the child merely associating pain with that certain behavior?

How would you handle it? How would Buddha handle it?

Here are some articles that gives different sides of spanking.
    Discipline With Your Brain, Not Your Hand
    http://www.beliefnet.com/story/67/story_6756_1.html?rnd=57
    Many parents hit their children to "discipline" as a result of a lack of parenting skills and ignorance of child development, and they are too lazy learn nonviolent methods of dealing with children. If ever there were a time, when kids are so saturated with violence in the news, in their communities and in their entertainment, for parents to teach not with brute force, but with understanding, this is it. Let's not fool ourselves-if an adult "spanked" another adult, jail or a lawsuit could easily be the result. And spare me the drivel about spanking being biblical. The bible verses have been twisted to support parental weakness. Can you picture Jesus hitting a child???
    In nursing homes, do you see nurses spanking mentally disturb patient for not cooperating?

Spanking as Creative Correction
    http://www.beliefnet.com/story/67/story_6770_1.html
    "I felt it was necessary to spank my daughter. You know what she learned from this, it is appropriate to hit someone if you don't like what they are doing."
    Spanking works since the child needs to learn what's right/wrong first? They'll learn now but understand it later?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    identityless,

Very interesting topic. First, I would like to add two references for our consideration. The first is the Buddha's teachings to his son Rahula in the Ambalatthikarahulovada Sutta, and the second is this excerpt from the Sigalovada Sutta:
    "...In five ways, young householder, the parents thus ministered to as the East by their children, show their compassion:

(i) they restrain them from evil,
    (ii) they encourage them to do good,
    (iii) they train them for a profession,
    (iv) they arrange a suitable marriage,
    (v) at the proper time they hand over their inheritance to them..."

- DN 31

From just these two sutta references I would say that the Buddha did not teach the "punishment" of children nor the "non-punishment" of children. However, I do feel that they express the parent's job of teaching them properly by example, as well as verbally. I would imagine that the Buddha might view spanking as an act of violence. This is not violence out of "hatred" mind you, but violence out of ignorance; ignorance of the proper way to teach and raise children without resorting to violence. The Buddha was a very skilled teacher and I imagine that he would try to teach parents how to "restrain" and "encourage" their children in the most skilled and compassionate of ways.

:)

Jason
  • edited October 2005
    Hi, thanks for the good reply. I had accidently made a duplicate thread. The other one can be found here (http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717).
  • edited October 2005
    We must first remember, I think, that each person has his or her own karma. This is why some of us are born into gentle lands and households and others born in places of violence. If we have the karma to have violence in oour lives, than even if we are born into a peaceful place, we will attract those who would harm us. it is only through a change of karma that we can attract positive influences in our lives and since buddhism is all things both positive and negative, even abuse can have a positive influence in our lives.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    There is a perfectly good English word for the use of force by the stronger against the weaker: bullying.

No more disgusting excuse appears anywhere than that which disguises abuse and bullying by "doing it for their own good".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    While I held the post of Parent Governor of a Roman catholic School in England, this issue was raised on several occasions, both in private conversations and during 'Parenting' Courses we ran, for those wishing to improve their communications skills (or purely relationships in general) with their children.

Fundamentally, the use of physical force or violence against someone too weak, or not in a social position to be able to either defend themselves, or to retaliate, is a gross abuse of power coupled with a loss of control.

I have smacked both my children. But I can count the times I have done so, on the fingers of one hand.
    And I have always, without exception, apologised.
    I may have had a cause, but the act itself was inexcusable. And politeness forbids me from giving an opinion of those who think nothing of hitting their children in public.
  • edited October 2005
    There is a perfectly good English word for the use of force by the stronger against the weaker: bullying

Well said Simon!

Not many years ago during the Victorian era it was legal for a husband to beat his wife with a stick, providing it was no thicker than his thumb! Many of us, of our generation grew up, used to a slapping, or worse, beatings....Violence towards children is not, in my opinion, a moral or particularly good lesson to be teaching our kids. This represents to me a loss of control and potentially teaches the child that violence is appropriate to be used against a person more vunerable than themselves. I have always found it interesting that usually the first word that a child learns is 'NO'.....it appears that the negative always rears it's ugly head first! I wonder why?!

Good communication to me is the answer. How often have we all been guilty of ignoring our children as long as they are being quiet and being good and the only time we talk to them is to tell them off!....If only parents would take more time to sit down and talk with their children, reading to them, helping them with their homework, sitting down for family meals etc...! If we allow the TV and game consoles to teach our kids about Love, Life, Morals...then it is no surprise at the increase that we are all seeing at the moment in bad behaviour particularly in teenagers.

We cannot expect our schools and teachers to make up for our lack of interest in instilling some values and discipline in our own children. As an aside I was very badly bullied at school, it was truly a nightmare!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I, myself, have no problem with physical discipline with children. I was whipped when I was a child and I believe I did more things that deserved whippings (out and out disregard or breaking of my parents - who were providing me with food, shelter and clothing - specific wishes or orders) than I actually got whippings for.

Now, with that being said, my kneejerk reaction is that I still believe physical discipline may be required.

But...

I have never had to whip my child.

I have thumped him on the head once and physically picked him up, sat him on the couch and got about an inch from his nose for pushing a girl (that could have ended up in a nasty accident) once.

I have had very upsetting talks with him - there have been things that have been said or I've heard that have been very upsetting.

That's about the extent of if.

So - when I comes to having to whip my child? I honestly don't think I could do it. I couldn't imagine taking a belt or something and beating my kid.

Now, on the flip side, do we have a society that is being populated with children who's parents don't believe in physical punishment anymore. Do we also have a society where the parents believe their children more than they do a child's teachers. Teachers have been make impotent under threat of "You touch my little Johnny or Suzie and I'LL SUE YOUR ASS!"
    Do we have a society of children who don't seem to understand "taking responsibility", "work ethics" and "respect"?

Although, I seem to remember a quote one time - basically the same thing I've just said above - sounded very current. The quote came from early Rome or Greece in their heyday.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    This is a very interesting essay.
    http://www.noogenesis.com/malama/punishment.html
    It's about why punishment does not work. Do also read about the spanking part.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Now, on the flip side, do we have a society that is being populated with children who's parents don't believe in physical punishment anymore. Do we also have a society where the parents believe their children more than they do a child's teachers. Teachers have been make impotent under threat of "You touch my little Johnny or Suzie and I'LL SUE YOUR ASS!"

WE have a society of parents who don't believe in physical punishment - but who don't know what else to do either. We have a society that is disjointed, misguided and 'lazy' in the sense that they expect someone else to deal with punishment, because they're too busy working/earning a crust/going out and enjoying themselves or doing whatever proves to be the ultimate distraction from actually BRINGING UP these children in the first place.
    When I was a child, if a teacher told me off, so would my parents. Now, as you rightly point out, it's got to the point where Authorities are so impotent in the face of the Law as it stands, that they're facing Anarchy.

Do we have a society of children who don't seem to understand "taking responsibility", "work ethics" and "respect"?
    -bf

Yes, but do you see anybody trying to teach them this? Do we as a society, Respect our children? Do we teach them to bear responsibility for their actions, and to take responsibility for themselves? We have deprived our children of their childhood. Look at any eight or ten-year old girl. She dresses just like a nineteen-year -old. We give them nubile Barbies to play with, so they identify with a tall, beautiful stereotypical model-like statuesque image. Or dolls that look EXACTLY like babies.... mesh around the tummy for the healing belly button and all.... is it any wonder they try to behave or want to be like adults?
    We stereotype our children into rôles... Check out the colours, the music and the type of voice used for adverts for girls' toys, (all pink, soft-focussed and high-voiced sing-song) with those used for boys (darker, more sombre colours, greys, blacks, deep reds, with deep growling or shouting voices and animated music). 'Neutral' adverts (for both sexes) are primary coloured (Reds, Yellows, Blues) with a jolly voice and jolly 'let's all bounce along together!' music.
    We are printing our children with pre-programmed attitudes and characteristics. We let them watch the kinds of programmes, play the types of games and wear the styles of clothes we would have considered unthinkable in our childhood.
    And we always talk about 'Society'. Society does this, or doesn't do that....WE ARE society!
    And if WE don't start - right from the beginning, at grass-roots level - teaching children Self-Respect, Respect for others, Responsibility and general social skills like Politeness AND Courtesy.... then is it any wonder that it all seems to be falling to pieces before our very eyes?
    The best way to teach from a young age, is to Lead By Example.
    How can we expect them to not swear and cuss, when we do it infront of them? How can we expect them to show respect, when we bad-mouth people - both close and not-so-close - in front of them?
    In order to salvage and to correct and to repair the damage, it all starts with US.
  • edited October 2005
    Very well said, fede!!! I agree 100% with everything you said in your post. My husband and I are both reading a book called "Children Learn What They Live" and it is so true. My husband's father beat him all the time for such silly little things, and my husband has never forgotten one of those incidents and has vowed to raise his children completely differently. We have the utmost respect for our daughter and it shows. About a month ago, my niece, who is 13 came to visit and stay with us. I was shocked at her behavior and the way she dressed, the music she listened to, etc. Her butt cheeks stuck out of every skirt and pair of shorts she wore! I can tell you that my daughter will not be dressing like that! I will make sure she has more respect for herself than to do that. My mother did a good job of teaching me "how to be a lady" and I will make sure I teach my daughter the same!

And I also agree with Simon.....we will not be a bully to our daughter. We have never spanked our daughter and she is one of the most well behaved kids around. I just don't think it is necessary. There are other ways!
    edited October 2005
    Hmmm.... I was going to say, "Right! That's a great idea! We need to teach our children by example!"

But then, I've seen some of the "examples" and I wonder if it might be better to have children raised by a pack of wild wolves. At least they'd learn the respect of the 'pack' instead of blaming everyone else for their woes, not taking responsibility for the action, their inability to control their anger and temper, and raping the system for every single penny they can.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Fed, While I agree with you 100%. I also know that it is not entirely the parents fault. It is also the way they are taught in School. At least here in California.
    Here they are taught to disrespect their parents as to not having a clue. I will give you an example.
    My son Matt was in the 4th grade. After picking him up form school, he started crying. When I finally got him calmed down enough to tell me what had him so upset. He told me that they took a test in school and he thought he had gotten his dad in trouble. When I asked why. He told me because his dad had given him a sip of champange on New Years Eve. And that was one of the questions on the test.
    I was horrified! I quickly found out what he was talking about. And then proceeded to let him know that it was ok. That he did nothing wrong, Becuase he was honest about his answer.
    The next day I went to his school and asked to see the test. I was told that it wasn't a test but a survey. I then asked them what right they had to give out this survey and the problem they had caused. They told me that in order for the children to take thesurvey they had to have a parents permission. OF which I kindly explained that they never had mine. They apologized and said they would have the school counselor talk to Matt about it.
    I told them never mind. I could handle it myself. And from that day forward If Matt didn't like what he was reading he was told to not answer it and just call me.
    Since then I have had my share of rounds with Californias Public Schools. All I can say is I'm glad my son is finally out of public schools.
    edited October 2005
    Moonlgt,

Regarding your post about what happened to your son in school...

I really think you're being a complete bitch about this. If you're still under the old, outdated mindset that schools are places for our children to gain an education - and not the collection of "information" - you need to get with the times. I mean, how else is Big Brother going to find out about you? You're definitely not providing the required information :)

Then you wanted to see the survey and pointed out it was only given with the parent's permission and then you pointed out they didn't have your permission...

Don't you see how out of line you are being? I think it's time for you to visit the "Compliance Chamber" for your regular attitude adjustment... :)

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Real nice, buddhafoot. :)
  • edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Hmmm.... I was going to say, "Right! That's a great idea! We need to teach our children by example!"

But then, I've seen some of the "examples" and I wonder if it might be better to have children raised by a pack of wild wolves. At least they'd learn the respect of the 'pack' instead of blaming everyone else for their woes, not taking responsibility for the action, their inability to control their anger and temper, and raping the system for every single penny they can.

-bf

That is true...it is important for the parents to be a good example in the first place!
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Real nice, buddhafoot. :)

My sense of humor is probably.... possibly somewhat... for the most part.... bad.

I hope people have learned that my berating is very "tongue-in-cheek". I'm sure Moonlgt was able to figure out I agreed with her whole-heartedly.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Bf,
    I was wondering why on my son's school records it said Mother is a real B****!.:grin: LOL

No wonder I'm on the no-fly list. ;)
    edited October 2005
    You sure they were just giving you a B?

Report Card: Moonlgt
    Communication: A
    Tolerance for BS: B

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    I used to be spanked when I was youger... It hurt really bad.. Some people think you should spank your children others dont. Honestly I dont see why you need to spank your child.
  • edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    You sure they were just giving you a B?

Report Card: Moonlgt
    Communication: A
    Tolerance for BS: B

-bf
    Bf

My Dear, Dear Friend. You got it all wrong.

Report Card: MoonLgt
    Communication: a
    Tolerance for Bs : :bs:

Or lower if they could.:tongue2: