Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

talking to yourself..

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited September 2010 in General Banter
Yea so basically I have noticed that I have been talking to myself a lot recently. I was wondering if anybody else ever has or does talk to themselves and if so how regularly

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Yes, all the time. Occasionally, I even pretend to talk into my cell phone so people don't think I'm crazy. For some reason, it helps me to think better when I verbalize my thoughts, as in a conversation, than simply just thinking quietly in my head.
  • edited September 2010
    It's a sign of intelligence. I already know what I'm talking about, and I am unlikely to seriously argue with myself, so it's just much easier in the long run.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    hahaha, glad I am not losing touch with reality then. It is often when I am doing a task or something of that nature. Also occasionally if I am in a state of extreme happiness or is if something embarrassing has just taken place, I will start to mutter to myself just after it has happened when I am alone again haha
  • edited September 2010
    I don't talk to myself audibly, but I find that mentally I talk to students all the time. Like if I am reading a book learning something new after awhile my mind will wander and I am giving a lecture on the material I just read to a class of students and they ask me questions about the material.

Sometimes I give a good answer to the students and other times I can't answer their question so I have to read more.

I typically feel odd when I notice this happening, but allow it anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Is it even possible to read without hearing a voice in your head?

My niece has a habit of verbalizing everything in her head, but she'll probably quit once she realizes that it's polite to keep the contents of the head inaudible.

'Woohoo's', 'curses', and 'shall I buy those beans?' aside, there's other stuff too that I don't say like 'nice pair of tits' or 'learn how to drive dickhead' and somewhere in the middle that insidious internal dialogue somehow sparks off a nice conversation somewhere.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    hahaha, glad I am not losing touch with reality then. It is often when I am doing a task or something of that nature. Also occasionally if I am in a state of extreme happiness or is if something embarrassing has just taken place, I will start to mutter to myself just after it has happened when I am alone again haha

me too. i also laugh a lot to myself. i mean... REAAALLY often... i think i either look crazy half the time or just really jolly, lol. i've gotten into this habit of laughing at everything, especially when something makes me mad. instead of cursing, i just laugh at myself for allowing such a little stupid thing to get to me.
    edited September 2010
    oh I have laughed at everything for years haha. I even do it within my txt on the computer often.. I do not know properly why i laugh at everything, but I often do. I have been notorious for this with nearly every social group I have been in throughout the past 5 years or so. I guess it could be worse, I we could frown at everything instead.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Is it even possible to read without hearing a voice in your head?

It is possible but quite difficult and takes a lot of practice. This is what is needed to learn how to "speed-read" effectively. I tried to learn it once, it was way too hard. :) Not really worth the effort.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I don't talk to myself, do we? Nope. We never do that.

See, I told you so :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    1) First-off, there are two good reasons (3 when you're older) to talk to yourself:
    a) To talk to a kind person
    b) To hear a kind person speak

2) Secondly, reading to oneself is a modern notion. Many ancients found it necessary to read aloud in order to comprehend what was written and the style, meter, or whatever.

3) Lastly, as we grow older or are not getting enough sleep it helps to name what one is going after in order to remember what prompted the "go fetch" command inside. The act of saying the word aloud —and the subsequent act of then hearing it— use two senses which can be relied on to carry more weight than just a few brain waves being fired in the middle of a potentially overwhelming day. Efficiency sometimes counts on more than just thinking.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I always talk to myself !:lol::D. I figured out that I'm the only person who I can debate 'philosofical' things without getting bored. :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I talk to myself a lot, in the street, and turn it into singing if I realise there's someone close by.
    I heard a guy doing exactly what Jason does...talking into a phone. it sounded like a really important call - until his phone rang, giving him such a shock, he nearly dropped it.....:D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    oh I have laughed at everything for years haha. I even do it within my txt on the computer often.. I do not know properly why i laugh at everything, but I often do. I have been notorious for this with nearly every social group I have been in throughout the past 5 years or so. I guess it could be worse, I we could frown at everything instead.

me too! i constantly have to edit out "lol" and "haha" out of my posts/emails because i try to write them exactly how i would say them, and i laugh too often.
    edited September 2010
    It seems that many people talk to themselves for a variety of reasons or no reason at all :) Fede made me laugh with the cool approach to breaking into song to disguise it, I would do it myself if I could actually sing to any degree.

Yea I do laugh a lot, probably too much and I do try to stop myself now and then, especially when writing on the net as you can go back and change things before you click post lol. Can't exactly do that in reality whilst mid conversation. I guess you could but then maybe you would look even more silly :/
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited September 2010
    I talk to myself because it's the only intelligent conversation I can find. :D
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Engyo wrote: »
    It's a sign of intelligence. I already know what I'm talking about, and I am unlikely to seriously argue with myself, so it's just much easier in the long run.

:D
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    More seriously now :) an important slant to this topic for contemplators of practice --

In one of Luang Pu's branch meditation monasteries there lived a group of five or six monks who wanted to be especially strict in their practice, so they made a vow not to talk throughout the Rains Retreat. In other words, no word would come out of their mouths except for the daily chanting and the bi-weekly Patimokkha chant. After the end of the Rains they came to pay their respects to Luang Pu and told him of their strict practice: In addition to their other duties, they were also able to stop speaking for the entire Rains.

Luang Pu smiled a bit and said,

"That's pretty good. When there's no speaking, then no faults are committed by way of speech. But when you say that you stopped speaking, that simply can't be. Only the noble ones who enter the refined attainment of cessation, where feeling and perception stop, are able to stop speaking. Aside from them, everyone's speaking all day and all night long. And especially those who vow not to speak: They talk more than anyone else, simply that they don't make a sound that others can hear."

Luang Pu Dune Atulo - Gifts He Left Behind
    edited September 2010
    Yes I have heard of monasteries prohibiting the act of speech at certain times. After all, one of the most unskillful acts of the modern day society is unskillful speech. The amount of gossip and everything else that goes on, although I am sure this has gone on for quite some time.
    Today I have spoken to myself a lot more than the past few days lol, I even have goen as far to tell myself to shut up! O.o
  • edited September 2010
    I usually play out conversations, and topiccs aloud when I'm alon. But to prevent me from feeling crazy I will label it as what we in the medical field call, "Pre-incident Planning" :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    We dont talk to our self do we precious ? :lol:
  • edited September 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    We dont talk to our self do we precious ? :lol:
    We gets hurts when we don't answer our questionses back, don't we precious? *gollum!* *gollum!*
    edited September 2010
    lol
  • edited September 2010
    I do speak to myself a lot.. Especially when there is something hard to comprehend or I am not getting something properly... I keep saying "Yes, you can do it for this has been done before by others.."... And every night before I get into sleep, I keep asking myself questions.. At that time, the "asker" will be a highly pessimistic person and the "answerer" (i will think) will be an Enlightened being, or even at times a Buddha! :P And at times i would detach myself from the whole thing and think about it as an observer from outside...
    I don't know if this sort of picturisation is correct or not, but I have arrived at many answers :) ....

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think if anyone heard me talking to myself they would think I was mad as I tend to use the plural, like if I'm making something in the garden I'll be saying "Ok, I think we should put this over here, then we can saw that end off... blah blah". Kinda like I'm bouncing ideas off myself as though I were another person.
    Probably because I live alone... well, except for the pink rabbit of course, but he doesn't count because he's a ghost.
  • edited September 2010
    I use "we" a lot when I talk out loud, too. I rationalise with the notion that I have disparate components of the mind with 'their own' opinions, etc... But it could be just that I might be developing a borderline multiple personality disorder :D If so, I wonder if I can claim a disability allowance for the other mes as well...
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I heard that talking to yourself is fine.Answering yourself on the other hand is a sign of madness,and we are unanamous on that,aren't we?Yeah we are.
    edited September 2010
    are you being serious? lol, I doubt however that it is so black and white or as cut and dry as that surely. bleh
  • edited September 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    I use "we" a lot when I talk out loud, too. I rationalise with the notion that I have disparate components of the mind with 'their own' opinions, etc... But it could be just that I might be developing a borderline multiple personality disorder :D If so, I wonder if I can claim a disability allowance for the other mes as well...

I refer to myself (when talking to myself) as "us". I understand having separate components of the mind, they all conflict and speak amongst themselves, I use the "us" to address my 'self' as a whole.

"self", however...probably better discussed on another thread lol
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I do it all the time, mostly just thinking out loud of course. It is quote normal from what I have seen.