Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

inception

edited September 2010 in General Banter
SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ THREAD UNLESS YOU HAVE WATCHED :)

bah! Just watched it and the first thing that ran through my head is.... if people killed themselves over avatar this movie will be massacre. Bless those who watch

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. I had to see it twice (VERY rare for me) to 'get it'. I think I get it though. Scary! I think his totem is the kids' faces. They made a point of saying nobody else could touch your totem, yet that little spinning top had been his wife's totem, so by his own rules it wouldn't work as his totem, right? You only see the kids' faces in the last scene of the movie (right where it fades to black and the whole theatre moans...).
  • edited September 2010
    crap im gonna have to post spoiler alert haha. but anyways as you notice the movie in it's entirety is him dreaming within a dream. His wife was actually right and in fact it was he who was lost. I didn't quite catch this until now but at the very beginning of the movie his teacher actually gives the whole blasted thing away haha. But you never catch it until you reflect on it after it's over. He keeps telling him over and over again you have to wake up to reality quit pursuing this notion. and yes his totem was his children. Saw a lot of Buddhist messages in this movie as well
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My husband suggests I try again to watch ... didn't get past the first few minutes on my first attempt.
  • edited September 2010
    what! no seriously just keep watching its good. lol than again opinions are opinions but this movie baffled me
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Brandon wrote: »
    crap im gonna have to post spoiler alert haha. but anyways as you notice the movie in it's entirety is him dreaming within a dream. His wife was actually right and in fact it was he who was lost. I didn't quite catch this until now but at the very beginning of the movie his teacher actually gives the whole blasted thing away haha. But you never catch it until you reflect on it after it's over. He keeps telling him over and over again you have to wake up to reality quit pursuing this notion. and yes his totem was his children
    Huh, I missed the first couple of minutes. Have to catch it again when it comes our on dvd.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    THESE REALLY ARE MOVIE SPOILERS SO ATTENTION!
    Brandon wrote: »
    crap im gonna have to post spoiler alert haha. but anyways as you notice the movie in it's entirety is him dreaming within a dream. His wife was actually right and in fact it was he who was lost. I didn't quite catch this until now but at the very beginning of the movie his teacher actually gives the whole blasted thing away haha. But you never catch it until you reflect on it after it's over. He keeps telling him over and over again you have to wake up to reality quit pursuing this notion. and yes his totem was his children. Saw a lot of Buddhist messages in this movie as well

Brandon - really? Oh my goodness, haha I completely missed that (and I walked away thinking that I understood the movie, doh!). Anyway we will get on DVD when it comes out as my buddy speaks a foreign language, and bless him, he watched the whole thing with me!

Does anyone know when it's expected out on DVD?

PS People committed suicide over Avatar? How sad... :(

_/\_
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know when it's expected out on DVD?
    Not at the moment, I think.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Anyone had successful experience with lucid dreaming even approaching the level suggested in Inception? Mine has been very limited - but startlingly vivid and intriguing.
  • edited September 2010
    It won't come out on DVD till next year
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I like Inception, and I don't like it.

Let me explain (spoilers):

When I initially came out of the theatre, I had a giddy feeling of "Damn! That was awesome!" All the spectacular visuals, the twists in the plot, the denouement, it was all very exhilarating.

However, after contemplating the themes brought up by the film, I was later very disappointed. I felt that the movie spent a lot of time explaining how the dream-world worked, but never really got much deeper than that. Lots of philosophical topics were alluded to, but again, just skimming the surface. Finally, the dream-world was not as fantastic as it could have been. I mean, they kept emphasizing how Ariadne was a master architect and could shape the world however she wanted in a very skilled way (albeit attracting attention). However, they never really did any of the crazy world-bending antics that were demonstrated in the initial training session with Cobb. It would have made for a much more surreal experience.

It's just a lot of nitpicky things that made me dislike it as a psychological thriller. As a summer sci-fi (ish) blockbuster, it's great. But it didn't really live up to the marketing and hype, for me at least.

Anyone had successful experience with lucid dreaming even approaching the level suggested in Inception? Mine has been very limited - but startlingly vivid and intriguing.
    I've had a few instances where I've consciously had a dream within a dream... in my dream I was able to tell that I had another dream, and external to my first dream I also was able to discern that I had two levels of dream.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Well, went and saw it again last night ... with another friend who was at his second viewing. Made it through the film this time, thanks to reading the spoilers here which encouraged me to sit through the opening scenes. Still thinking about it, and having a cup of tea with the same friend a bit later to natter about it, agree it is still inspiring me to think, so is baffling ... not sure where it will leave me at just yet - well worth it in any event.
  • edited September 2010
    well.. i think Yuriythebeast has been successful for his signature says so.. And i used to be interesed in Astral projection, but i gave up after thinking I was just wasting my time in this rathere than Nirvana...

Love And Light,
    Nidish
    edited September 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    Well, went and saw it again last night ... with another friend who was at his second viewing. Made it through the film this time, thanks to reading the spoilers here which encouraged me to sit through the opening scenes. Still thinking about it, and having a cup of tea with the same friend a bit later to natter about it, agree it is still inspiring me to think, so is baffling ... not sure where it will leave me at just yet - well worth it in any event.

Interesting, thanks for the relay. I will watch with h a second time on DVD so a few months more from what the posters are saying. H is interested in watching American so that may be next on the list (Salt was awful, anyone agree???) and I presume American will be VERY :rolleyes:straightforward
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait for the DVD to come out, I'll have to watch it again, and again. So many details, and so many ways to interpret those details.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    i thought that someone who has read/heard/studied 'awaken to the Truth' , try to create an 'awakening from the dream' but unfortunately it is not successful

(it is obvious if one is not awaken, one can not grasp the real meaning of awakening and be able to try to explain it)
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait for the DVD to come out, I'll have to watch it again, and again. So many details, and so many ways to interpret those details.

Actually I would not want to watch it tooo many times :D as I think it's a bit dark as well as interesting. Non?

I can't believe I am commenting so much about Inception :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2010
    lol its a good movie so comment as much as you like, i will not judge. I think I just created another attachment for everyone though :(