Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a christian came into my work today....

edited November 2010 in General Banter
so I work in nutrition and this lady came into my store asking for something to cover up drugs for an upcoming drug test. (of course I have many products that will cover something up) But I told her the fact that she had told me that it was to cover up signs of drug use I could not sell her any. so She told me it was not for her but for a loved one that she did not want to see go to jail. I told her no sorry but go try somewhere else. she than told me that she was on her way to church and that I should go to hell for I have no compassion. Things to take into consideration is the fact that I could lose my job. was I in the wrong for not having enough compassion to help her out?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    People who use illegal drugs KNOW that they are illegal and should be prepared to accept the consequences if they are caught.
    It is also illegal to assist someone in the commission of a crime, whatever our personal opinion regarding the relative seriousness of that crime.
    I think you did the right (but not easy) thing.
    I've been prosecuted myself for possession of illegal drugs in the past and blame no one but my own silly self!

For what it's worth Brandon, I somehow doubt that you'll be going to Hell over this. :)
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    No. Honestly I don't buy the "it's for someone else" line. I'd say the more likely story is that she had a test for a job. Ether way her or her loved one (whichever the true story may be) were aware of the potential consequences when they chose to take drugs. No reason to risk your job (especially right now when jobs can be hard to come by) on their behalf.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    No you did nothing wrong.
    Lady wants to not Dabble in drugs, Do nothing wrong have no fear.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Brandon wrote: »
    .....she than told me that she was on her way to church and that I should go to hell for I have no compassion. Things to take into consideration is the fact that I could lose my job. was I in the wrong for not having enough compassion to help her out?

No. That would have been idiot compassion.
    Compounding the problem, not solving it.

her lashing out at you was simply a mark of her own fear, not a justified statement.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    she than told me that she was on her way to church and that I should go to hell for I have no compassion. Things to take into consideration is the fact that I could lose my job. was I in the wrong for not having enough compassion to help her out?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you had to have that experience, Brandon, but I think you did just fine.

Buddha_in_Prayer.jpg

Blessings and metta.
  • edited September 2010
    Dear Brandon
    Compassion depends on motivation - not specific actions. If you didn't sell her what she wanted, because you wanted to harm her, then I could see a lack of compassion.... but not the way you describe it.

And another thing. According to most Christians beliefs, we as god denying Buddhist (especially Buddhist who converted from Christianity to Buddhism - because we apparently should know better) are all going to hell.
    This means that hell apparently is a place where Buddhists meet after death - and what do we call such a place? PURE LAND! hahahahaha

Much love

Samten
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Indulge me here for a moment. How could you have lost your job by selling a customer a product that accomplishes something it was engineered to do? Why is the product legally available in your store if it cannot be sold under certain conditions? Where is the liability that would result in a store employee's job loss? If there is some legal statute that prohibits an employee from engaging in the commerce you described I am not aware of it. If you made a personal, moral decision not to aid another in their supposed illicit drug activity, that is another thing. Were you wrong? The lady certainly thought so. Was she wrong? Suggesting that you go to hell in the same breath as telling you she just came from church sounds pretty hypocrytical - probably just an expression of her anger and frustration with you and the situation she is in. So why was it important that you make this decision? Purely legal - or a moralistic judgement? In a global recession when people are losing their homes and jobs is it so hard to understand that some become weak and use drugs and alcohol mistakenly to ease their suffering? Has government mandated drug testing really fulfilled its promise to improve productivity and safety? Can a war on drugs be won? Understand, I live a drug and alcohol free life now - but there was a time I did not - so I do have some compassion for those lost in that hell realm - especially those doing hard prison time with unrepentant violent criminals because they made a bad decision about drug use. Just me saying, (and I am not saying the OP was wrong) but I would have helped the lady with the right product and perhaps offered my sincere hope (and perhaps prayer) that she leave drugs behind once past this crisis she was in.....
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I told her the fact that she had told me that it was to cover up signs of drug use I could not sell her any.

In many places it is illegal to sell products specifically designed to deceive or provide false results to drug tests. I assume the products you mention that could potentially do so are not marketed as such (ie detoxifying, cleansing, or other similar terms). I believe that you would be prohibited from providing a product in response to an illegal request for such an item.

You can still generate strong compassion for someone without providing them with exactly what they want. Parents have compassion for their children, so when they don't let them have candy for breakfast and the child cries, they still feel compassion even if they're denying them treats. They know it is better for their child to have a healthy diet and are actually preventing further pain from a potential tummy ache from their misguided desires. In the same way a loved one will deny a drug addict money to feed their fix, even if they are hurting from withdrawal.

You can generate compassion for all parties involved. They are all suffering.

So don't feel bad, you were doing your job and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Hope this helps :)
  • edited September 2010
    This dilemma is interesting for me to think about.

What came to mind is the precept about avoiding intoxication. What about the person who never consumes alcohol, but finds work as a bartender?

Some of the people consuming alcohol would consume in moderation and some would get intoxicated and still others would drive an auto into someone/something while impaired.

Legal issues aside this seems an interesting moral dilemma.

The OP is essentially a bartender in this case. The product itself doesn't result in intoxication, but it enables intoxication with reduced risk of some consequences. In this case the OP knew the intended use of the product and thus didn't sell it, but at the same time the OP works in a field where the product will be sold to those who will use it for the same purpose. The OP may not know which customers will use it for that purpose, but does know that some of them will.

So, I suppose my question for the OP would be 'Why work in the field at all?' If one has an answer supporting working in the field then why be selective in who the product is sold to unless it's a legal matter?

I don't expect or need any answers to the questions. They are just the questions that come to my own mind.
  • edited September 2010
    well username-5 I completely agree with you about why work in the field at all. My answer to you is when I first got the job it was candy coated. Selling nutritional supplements to me seemed like a perfect job to get me through school until I get my EMT certification. I thought hey another way to help someone! I am constantly getting into trouble with the company (starts with G ends with C) for not making quotas on certain products. I'd rather help someone with what they need rather than toy with their mind until they think what I need them to buy is what they actually need. Turns out I am in the worst possible place for someone striving to live a buddhist path, (sales) I am almost finished with school though so hopefully i will give my 2 weeks notice soon.

as for the controversy as to why we sell products to cover up drug use. It is very much like medications. They all have a positive use but people find uses for intoxication. With cleansers if you are constantly sick to your stomach than a cleanser will help you greatly by flushing out any unwanted toxins out of your liver therefor cleansing your blood. (this is exactly how they market it as well) Since they are flushing out toxins that includes traces of alcohol, THC ect. This is why we are able to sell it unless we suspect evading a government test.
  • edited September 2010
    Turns out I am in the worst possible place for someone striving to live a buddhist path, (sales) I am almost finished with school though so hopefully i will give my 2 weeks notice soon.

Thanks for the details, Brandon!

Well, look at it this way: Your experiences today are serving to help you really understand how important Right Livelihood is on the path.

I used to sell cars for a living (didn't know a thing about Buddhism at the time). Hated the job, but it was either that or not provide a roof over my family's heads. Now that I have a job that doesn't require me to dance with unethical behavior I am very grateful.

Certainly I can have a lot of compassion for those trapped in a job where they struggle to remain ethical.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Y'know, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a variation of the old "A nun walks into a bar" joke :)

Seriously, you did exactly the right thing. Good on ya!

Mtns
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Y'know, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a variation of the old "A nun walks into a bar" joke :)

:D
  • edited September 2010
    A nun, really needing to go to the bathroom, walked into a local Hooters. The place was hopping with music and dancing, but every once in a while the lights would turn off. Each time after the lights would go out, the place would erupt into cheers.

However, when the revelers saw the nun, the room went dead silent. She walked up to the bartender, and asked, May I please use the restroom?" The bartender nervously replied, "I really don't think you should."
    Why not?" the nun asked. Well, there is a life-size statue of a naked man in there, and his most private parts are covered only by a fig leaf." Nonsense," said the nun, "I'll just look the other way."
    So the bartender showed the nun the door at the top of the stairs, and she proceeded to the restroom. After a few minutes, she came back out, and the whole place washopping with music and dancing again. However, they did stop just long enough to give the nun a loud round of applause.
    She walked up to the bartender and said, "Sir, I don't understand. Why did they applaud for me just because I went to the restroom?"
    Well, because now they know you're one of us," said the bartender. "Would you like a drink?"
    But, I still don't understand," said the puzzled nun.
    You see," laughed the bartender,"every time the fig leaf on that statue is lifted up, the lights go out in the whole place. Now, how about that drink?"

you started it mountains.... not me. i wasn't even going this direction till now
  • edited October 2010
    I would see her as someone who tries to instill guilt into you.

I'll not attach to her, just let go like unclenching a fist. She will disappear just like an illusion and I feel no bad feelings, just compassion for her.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    By the way she acted, I would not call her a "Christian" rather a believer in the christian faith. You did the right thing by not giving her those products, as in the end it would cause only more harm. If you had any products that helps people deal with their addiction or anything similar I would of directed her towards those though.
  • edited October 2010
    Why didn't you answer: And you are going to hell for not taking care of the body that is the temple where the Holy Spirit resides when one is in Grace, also, for lying.?
    ...no, no; that would have been to cruel. Dunno, I think I wouldn't have had your patience and to tell her that If she really loved him, then she would help him to overcome his problem and to make him suffer fully the consequences of his wrongdoing so he could grab a sense of what he really did.
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    Well, all she had to do was just look up detox brands online and go pick one up at another store without telling the pharmacist it involved illegal drugs. She sounds like such a whiner.
  • edited November 2010
    More seriously, why are some Buddhists sounding a bit like members of the neo-Temperance movement, like that which that led to the Prohibition, a study in dismal failure of social policy?

Yes, drug and alcohol abuse is damaging. Not everyone who consumes trivial amounts of either are damaged, most are doing just fine. 100% intolerance is simply not based on any sound research.

Please support education and safety, but not the reactionary intolerance that creates far more suffering than good.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/1124913901.html
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    So what I want to know is, if "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son" - isn't God powerful enough to have more kids if he wants them?

:)
  • edited November 2010
    not to start anything between Christians but in my humble opinion we could make thousands upon thousands of questions as to why the christian faith is so ridiculous
  • edited November 2010
    I think you acted perfectly.