Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some Beginners Questions

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've been interested in Buddhism for some time now, particularly since 2008 when I found myself homeless and then tumbling out of that. I think it was so very stressful that I felt the need (understandably) to find both peace and inner strength. One of the biggest reasons I'm attracted to Buddhism is that it isn't about looking outside yourself as in, looking to the church and one central God for forgiveness and strength. I think it's easier really, to ask forgiveness and feel absolution than it is to learn to forgive yourself - to "let go", and grow from that perspective. Ha. Funny and almost predictable that I'd choose in some ways the harder road. :D

Anyway, question 1 is born out of that chaotic period in my life. Myself and my adult sons were ripped apart and I had no idea where they were etc. so to center myself, each night or sometimes more than once a day, I would close my eyes and whisper, "Just put us on the right path. Show us the way to lead our best lives and keep them safe from harm." Now, that did a lot to ease my anxiety, but it wasn't "God" I was asking. Who was it? I see "God" as The Universe, the IS, the suchness, if you like.
My question then, is ... if one is "meditating" in such a way, short or long, if there is thought to the meditation as in thinking or sending out "good vibes" to mankind or whatever... is that by definition, "meditation" or is it something else. Try as I might guys, I'm telling you I can't seem to just not think and breathe. So I focus on things such as love, compassion, gratitude, my smallness in the world, oneness, etc. To me, it's good energy anyhow, so in the bigger picture, it's all good.

#2 - and far more superficially: As someone who suffers from chronic pain in the upper back/neck (C-6/C-7 & T-1) region, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo on this area. Any idea of a symbol or such that would represent impermanence (as in someday, lol, when I die, the pain ends) or suffering (as in everyone suffers so quit whining)? I haven't found too much in any image search online.

I had another question, but that's kind of enough for now. I tend to be a loquacious individual, even in written form. Looking forward to many discussions here.

Namaste!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    My question then, is ... if one is "meditating" in such a way, short or long, if there is thought to the meditation as in thinking or sending out "good vibes" to mankind or whatever... is that by definition, "meditation" or is it something else.

Hi there!

I can really only address this question. What you have done seems more similar to prayer than the types of meditation most Buddhists practice (which doesn't mean it's wrong!). The type of meditation most approaching practice are exposed to first is mindfulness meditation. Typically this involves bringing attention to the breath. The reason to do this type of meditation is to develop the faculties of concentration and mindfulness|awareness. Ultimately to see through our own BS and dismantle the conditioning we are trapped in requires these skills to be developed.

The other type of meditation could be referred as meditation to remove that which interferes with mindfulness ;) To actually be mindful|aware in daily life rather than just while in formal meditation requires some 'deconditioning'. It means we need to break out of our conditioned reactions to what we experience. There are all sorts of meditations intended to address specific types of conditioning. Death and impermanence meditations break down our conditioned tendency to view things as permanent when they aren't, meditation on loving kindness cultivates joy, compassion, love and equanimity in response to what we experience rather than indifference or a feeling of separateness. Various traditions often have their own meditations to address specific kinds of conditioning to assist in breaking them down and dismantling them.
  • edited September 2010
    The Buddha taught a path. He can't show you what's down the path. He can only guarantee that following the path would be of great benefit to you. Someone who progresses on this path gradually reaps more and more benefit. Following the path, your understanding of all things will change little by little, including your ideas about the path itself. I hope you decide to follow it. Good luck!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Try as I might guys, I'm telling you I can't seem to just not think and breathe.

That's because trying to not think is impossible. It's really not about "not-thinking" and breathing. It's about practicing the returning to breathing when you catch yourself thinking. To try to stop thinking will never work.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My question then, is ... if one is "meditating" in such a way, short or long, if there is thought to the meditation as in thinking or sending out "good vibes" to mankind or whatever... is that by definition, "meditation" or is it something else.

What you are describing would be called (in Buddhist terminology) "Metta bhavana". Metta means good will/loving-kindness/friendliness. Bhavana means cultivation/mental development. Therefore "Metta bhavana" means to develop or cultivate the quality of good-will within your mind.

Metta is a form of meditation just as much as "Anapanasati" (mindfulness of breathing) is. Both Metta Bhavana and Anapanasati are ways of developing wholesome qualities in the mind, which in my opinion is what meditation is about. If you find that one form of meditation comes more naturally to you then go ahead and make that your main technique, there is no reason why we need to make meditation difficult for ourselves. There is also no reason why you can't practice both. But perhaps it is best to focus primarily on one technique for now.

Ajahn Brahm teaches that if you practice Anapanasati then you will develop peace, but you will also get the happiness that characterizes Metta meditation and the wisdom that characterizes Vipassana (insight) meditation...if you practice Metta then you will develop a lot of happiness but you will also develop insight and peace...and so on. So as long as it is a wholesome object then you are moving in the right direction.
  • edited September 2010
    hi blondiegrl211,

I think u might not like my response, but i don't recommend tattoos notwithstanding what might be the current trends or popularity mentalities... in Buddhism, one treasures the body and does not harm it in anyway because it is the vessel to enlightenment... tattooing, breaking the skin can harm certain psychic channels in the body and probably some other functions. I do not recommend it. Also, symbols tend to invoke certain energies... and if the symbol you choose invokes a certain kind of energy, it stays with you and invokes that energy for as long as that tattoo lasts. Even if it is a certain kind of a beneficial energy, even too much of something beneficial may turn out not-so-beneficial.

From other perspective, our body is such a beautiful thing as it is already... anything that is natural, just like wild forests, nature is so beautiful, why spoil it? Impermanence can be seen everyday, everywhere if you know where to look. No need to tattoo your body to remind yourself.

Just my opinion, ignore me if you can't stand it... :)
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Getting a tatoo is something in theory , my ego , I guess, always has wanted to do and when I turned 30 years of age, 40 years and last of all 45 years of age it was a desire which I was aware of ... for me the reality of what symbol, word, mark would be best chosen has always alluded me despite some investiagation and thus my body remains without tatoo ... think I am over it now :-/
  • edited September 2010
    Hi blondiegrl211,

You might find this Buddhist meditation series useful. This one is the introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Also, here are instructions about how to do metta (loving kindness) meditation.

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

Hope you find the links helpful.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tattoos are very personal, so you should try and think of what symbolizes impermanence or suffering to you. What images come to your mind? Where do you find visual signs of impermanence in your world? Take your time to figure out what kind of design you want.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    That's because trying to not think is impossible. It's really not about "not-thinking" and breathing. It's about practicing the returning to breathing when you catch yourself thinking. To try to stop thinking will never work.
    Excellent. Trying to stop yourself from thinking is like trying to not think of a pink elephant. You'd have to first conjure up a pink elephant to make certain you're not thinking of one. You can not straighten up your mind by an act of will. The very act of willing is itself, thinking.

Simply (yeah, right!) take notice your mind is leaning. Being aware the mind is leaning will eventually allow your mind to straighten up on its own.
  • edited September 2010
    Think not-thinking :D

Tattoos - don't some Theravadan bhikkus in Thailand tattoo themselves? I'm not sure of the symbolism behind it, but I don't think that the body is considered totally sacrosanct - that would seem to follow with the illusion of permanence. Of course, the first precept is easily applied to not harming the self, but that would depend on why the tattooing was done. I dunno. I've always wanted a tattoo of a fierce traditional Chinese dragon, but never feel like I'd be able to live up to the qualities it would inspire :D
  • edited September 2010
    So far as a tat - I probably won't get one just because I have so many other necessities on which to spend my meager budget. Plus, at my age, it might seems more than a little eccentric.

In being new to the forum, one of the posts I was reading had something like before you get out of your bed, do 5 mindful breaths - before you head into your workplace, 5 mindful breaths, and so on. I've tried this and well, it seems a lot easier to do 5 mindful breaths than say, a half hour full of them. :) Maybe if I do this more often, it will so to speak, make me mindful of being mindful and lead to an easier time of it when I really want that 1/2 hr of breathing room.

Also, I think I do something of mental meditations a lot or maybe I mean to say thinking in a mindful way. When I fish... I find that meditative not only because I am outside enjoying nature, but because of the whole "do not bite the hook" philosophy. I find metaphor in much of the things I do every day or at least try to find the more enlightened aspects of any situation. For instance - a few days ago someone was running a leaf blower by my house. I hate noisy things like that, but I said to myself - be mindful of the fact that you have such a gift as your hearing. Right? I think when we take moments and stop to remind ourselves that it's not so bad as our ego might like it to seem (How DARE they awaken ME!) then we can rise above the pettiness of it as well.

I may not "meditate" but I think I am a fairly sage individual. (Just ask me, lol) and as some of you have pointed out here - meditation and indeed metta, can come in different forms. Peace, above all is the answer and learning how to let it -- find you --
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    If you want to practice Buddhism, I would advise against fishing. ;)
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    If you want to practice Buddhism, I would advise against fishing. ;)
    Why's that?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Five Precepts (namely the first one)
  • edited September 2010
    I've known people to go fishing without hooks or bait (or lures, flies, gaff hooks or explosives).
    edited September 2010
    Debatable
  • edited September 2010
    I should probably further elaborate - they go without the goal of actually catching a fish (though they have fun bemoaning their 'bad luck'). I think they enjoy the quasi-ritual nature of it, the weather, etc.

As far as the first precept and killing/fishing/hunting goes, there's been quite a lot of tense debate about it on other threads! It's quite a varied debate.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Me: If you want to practice Buddhism, I would advise against fishing. ;)

You: Why's that?

Me: Five Precepts (namely the first one)

You: Debatable

Me:

1) What does practicing Buddhism mean? Presumably it means practicing what the Buddha taught. Can we agree on this?

2) Can we agree that the Buddha taught the Noble Eightfold Path?

3) Can we agree that the Noble Eightfold Path includes Sila (morality)?

4) Can we agree that the Five Precepts are a brief summary of Sila?

5) Therefore, can we agree that if we want to practice Buddhism we shouldn't go fishing since it (presumably, excluding the no hook scenario) involves killing (or at the very least, intentionally harming) living beings?

If we can agree on all of the above, then what have I said which you find debatable? Which point do you disagree with; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or some other point?
    edited September 2010
    GuyC, there's a debate over how far the first precept goes when intent is taken into account. Personally, I would take it literally. So yes, fishing wouldn't be advised. I am not picking a side, just saying it's debatable.

I felt I needed to bring it up 'cause I think "If you want to practice Buddhism, I would advise against fishing" might be a bit of a dangerous thing to say. I know you didn't mean "you can't be a Buddhist if you go fishing", but it still seems like it may be a little discouraging.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I know you didn't mean "you can't be a Buddhist if you go fishing", but it still seems like it may be a little discouraging.

It is good to discourage people from doing that which is harmful to oneself or others (little fishies included). Just as it is good to encourage people to do that which is beneficial for oneself or others.
    The Blessed One:

" ...

The Noble Disciple in this Dhamma reflects in this way: 'I want to live, I don't want to die. I want happiness, I detest suffering. If anyone were to kill me who wants to live and does not want to die, who wants only happiness and who detests suffering, that would not be at all pleasant and agreeable to me. And if I were to kill others who want to live, who do not want to die, who want only happiness, who detest suffering, that too would not be at all pleasant and agreeable to others. Whatever is unpleasant and disagreeable to me, conversely that too is unpleasant and disagreeable to others. Whatever is to me an unpleasant and disagreeable things, why should I subject others to that very thing which is unpleasant and disagreeable?'

Having thus reflected, the noble disciple abstains from killing, persuades others to abstain from killing, praises the virtue of abstaining from killing.

... "

Veludvareyya Sutta. (Sorry, can't find any sources on the internet)
    edited September 2010
    Ok
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The Dhammapada Stories Verse 270

XIX (9) The Story of a Fisherman Named Ariya

While residing at the Jetavana monastery, the Buddha uttered Verse (270) of this book, with reference to a fisherman named Ariya.

Once, there was a fisherman who lived near the north gate of Savatthi. One day through his supernormal power, the Buddha found that time was ripe for the fisherman to attain Sotapatti Fruition. So on his return from the alms-round, the Buddha, followed by the bhikkhus, stopped near the place where Ariya was fishing. When the fisherman saw the Buddha, he threw away his fishing gear and came and stood near the Buddha. The Buddha then proceeded to ask the names of his bhikkhus in the presence of the fisherman, and finally, he asked the name of the fisherman. When the fisher man replied that his name was Ariya, the Buddha said that the Noble Ones (ariyas) do not harm any living being, but since the fisherman was taking the lives of fish he was not worthy of his name.

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Verse 270: He who harms living beings is, for that reason, not an ariya (a Noble One); he who does not harm any living being is called an ariya.
  • edited September 2010
    Well A) I catch and release. I don't "kill" the fish. Of course there are those fish that for reasons known only to the fish, swallow the whole hook. I am often successful in retreiving the hook and releasing the fish. Sometimes though, the fish does die. Here's how I look at this: One day, I threw the fish back in and glub glub flap flap, it's dying on the surface. I did feel really bad about this. I thought - *I* did this, *I* caused this suffering. Well then I saw a seagull swoop down and pick up the dying fish. He took it to an island in the lake where he happily and noisily consumed it. So the seagull gained happiness and nourishment, the seagull poops the fish out and nourishes the dirt, which leeches into the water, which nourishes other fish, etc.

The circle of life eh?

Maybe, as I've always thought and believe, things aren't usually as concrete as we'd like them to be at first glance.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Sure, you helped the seagul get a meal. But that wasn't even your intention, was it? In Buddhism, intention is important.

Why do we kill (or injure) other living beings? What is our intention? Is it out of cruelty? Out of anger? For the sake of entertainment/boredom/passing the time?